Six Months - Comments and Questions

fatburning
long-term
reboot

(Carolus Holman) #1

I have been Six months KETO in about a week. I feel great and am slowly forgetting what being 75 pounds heavier really feels like, I am getting “normal”, I have 15 pounds to reach what is the Top weight recommended for my height, another 30 to reach the mid-point of my Height and Weight Goal.
Question and Comment: I have seen people start doing keto at my current weight and start dropping pounds (like my brother), how can I “Reboot” my KETO experience so i can start losing the rest of this fat? I have been doing IF and OMAD for a few months, I am down bout 15 pounds since New-Years however the past 4 weeks I seem to be battling the same 2-3 pounds every week it is starting to make me crazy. How can I level set my current state and begin the last part of the journey? I know I will be eating this way for the foreseeable future and don’t plan to stop when I reach my goals.
Typically I have some BPC in the morning (Heavy Cream, says 0 carbs per Table Spoon prolly 1/2) so let’s say about 9 (3 cups of coffee) which gives me 5 Carbs. I typically have Chicken (Legs, Thighs, Wings). Pork (Bacon, Pork Belly) or Steaks (NY Strip or Ribeye). Butter etc. I don’t eat a lot of Salad, Dressings etc. I barely make it to 1500 calories. I have cut back on nuts (peanuts, Shell on Pistachios, Almonds). (15 Carbs). I am most likely eating between 5-25 grams of carbs (with nuts) per day.

Is it necessary to stay 0 carb as possible? Would this help with a reboot? Thoughts? Anyone else done a reboot?

Thanks for Reading.

TLDR: I am 6 months into KETO and weight-loss is slowed, I want to reboot my KETO to start losing again, ideas?

(Doug) #2

Slowing/stalling weight loss is very common, really the rule, I think. It makes total sense that things go fastest in the beginning. Carl’s thread here features a substantial stall:

5 to 6 months into keto - there are still changes to come, and I think your body is still adjusting. They say to “mix it up” and not let your body settle in too much. Makes sense there too - trying to conserve things - and it may have gotten used to the current deal.

Being zero carb or not - I don’t really know how essential this is, especially since we’re all different.

Being down 75 pounds is great, Carolus. Patience, and the willingness to shake your body up some may be a good thing.

(Liz ) #3

I literally printed out this Richard post & put it on my fridge:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

Lots of ideas to break stalls. More fasting, less fasting. More meals. Fewer. More calories. Fewer. More fat. More protein. Structured carb binge. Exercise shakeup. Exercise cessation. Changing supplements.

Craig Ballantyne, who I used to follow back when he was an exercise guru and not a corporate trainer, used to call it turbulence. Your body has settled in to a groove. Acclimated to what you’re up to. So creating some turbulence was the way to shake loose.

But I think some folks stall like Carl suggests. Fasting BG is above the remaining insulin resistance. I dunno if turbulence solves that. I don’t know that it doesn’t.

PS- most folks don’t really consider it a hard stall until 6 weeks to 3 months. Frustrating, but true.

(Carolus Holman) #5

Some great advice. I know that the KCKO really applies to this situation! I will try a couple of things and post back as changes occur!

(Rob) #6

As others have said, it may be that you can reboot your keto BUT it is very probable that you need to reboot your body which takes much longer. You may be at a set point that you can not really lose again until you have reduced your insulin sensitivity which takes time more than anything else.

Try the stall-breaking strategies but if they don’t work, KCKO, add more fasting etc. and focus on insulin minimization.

I want to get back into keto. I was able to sustain ketosis for a week during March 17. It was during spring break here at the university. However, I fell off… big time. I was at 195 lbs. I have been eating pizza, and sweets since then, but tonight. I had my last share of carbs. I am sticking with it this time no matter what!!! Any tips on how to deal with the intense cravings that lead to my downfall?

(Miss E) #8

Have you tried glycine? Helped @richard get over a stall I believe. General rule for stalls with most eating plans is to keep your body guessing. So rather than doing IF every day, some days have two or three meals a day. Also maybe try some different exercise. As always, hydration and sleep are important. Kudos on the 6 month mark, looking forward to getting there.