Screwed up

I think i more just want to vent than anything.

I have been doing keto since December with modest progression. I lost 15 pounds by med February and was in full ketosis. I once in a while had something I shouldn’t but rebounded back to ketosis very quickly sometimes not going out of ketosis at all. However, last week I spent a week with my great grandma while my grandparents were out of town. I had a rough week in my accelerated clock hour program (70+ hours a week) and Nana doesn’t understand what carbs are. Needless to say I gained weight and fell out of ketosis hard.

Discuraged but understanding i weighed myself and saw i had gained 7 pounds back in a matter of 4 days. I tried to convince myself it was mostly just water weight. When I got home I immediately went back to keto and suffered hypoglycemia and a pounding migraine. I fainted at school and have gone back to eating some carbs right now and i am weaning myself off.

My weight was 148 and is now 151-154. I am annoyed by this now and feel very discouraged. I worked hard to get past this the first time and dont want to deal with the symptoms again just in time to visit someone else who doesn’t doketo and i know i will not be loyal to it when I’m there. I feel like i suffered for 2 months to lose some weight for no reason. I will undoubtedly put on another 3-5 pounds while there and it is discouraging.

I have been really good about my goal and my fitness and now it just feela like i have wasted 2 months…

My goal WAS 125 by June. I think i need to revisit my goal. Maybe incorporating intermittent fasting to bring weight back down quicker but I have a self image problem and I’m afraid I might overdue it.

I hope that help, to be able to vent some.

We all know the frustration of going off diet, and suffering the fallout of those decisions, but what drew my attention was the above quote.

I know weight loss is very nice, and for a lot of people their main motivation for eating keto, but try to focus more on the health aspects of why you’re eating keto.

It’s not just about the weight loss, it’s also about being healthy, curing metabolic derangement from years of eating high carb, highly processed foods.

I would never want you to “suffer” from eating keto. If you feel like you’re suffering, then please reconsider your goals. You can eat many wonderful foods on the ketogenic diet, and no one should be suffering.

I’m sorry your visit had their negative consequences, and I’m glad you’re determined to get back on the wagon. If you feel like your suffering on keto, don’t punish yourself. Eat some wonderful, low carb, foods and enjoy the fact that you are taking control of your health for the rest of your life.

(Carl Keller) #3

It’s ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. Lord knows I’ve made plenty of them but I refuse to let them define who I am.

Achieving a number on a scale might make you happy for a few weeks but achieving good health will give you the chance to be happy for decades.

Yeah the suffering part is the rebreaking of food cravings and such. No matter how long I’m away from sugar i always want it.

The number 125 was less meaningful and more of just a target. I more so just want to have a lean body with tone and when i was in the military i was always 115-140 depending on muscle.

I constantly am craving chocolate when im on keto and i live in a house of temptations. My family does me no favors when it comes to carbs, sugar, and caffeine

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #5

Don’t forget that being healthy is a life-long goal. You’re super lucky to have a great-grandmother (I never got to know any of my great-grandparents) and in the long run, it’s not a big deal if you ate some carbs because that was the easiest way to spend time with her. Years and years from now, what you’ll remember is quality time spent with Nana, not that handful of cookies you ate :slight_smile:

@Yaz, my experience has been the lower I keep my carbs, the less cravings I have.

I’m also surrounded by temptations, especially at work, but they’re really not an issue anymore. You’ll probably see this too, after you become fat adapted, and continue to keep your carbs low.

(Carl Keller) #7

Like @PaulL likes to say: (if it’s harmful to your keto progress) tell yourself you can have what it is you are craving tomorrow, but not today. What’s important is to learn how to better manage your cravings. They may or may not go away completely, but every day you can make it without giving in to those cravings, the easier it becomes.

That’s not to say you can never have chocolate. Plenty of folks here at the forum will indulge in 70-100% cacao if it fits into their carb allowance. Maybe further down the road when you can trust your ability to limit yourself, you can add a little chocolate back into your life.

Thanks for the support and yes, I’m just happy to spend time with Nana. She is 99 years old and still quilting. My son is 10 and I’m glad hes old enough to retain memories of her later in life.

Shes so sweet, she made a big bowl of pasta for me and stayed up until 10pm with it ready for me when i got home from a 14 hour day at the clinic. I absolutly couldn’t say no to that.

I will get back on track with time. I enjoy the benefits the keto brings me. It probably also might help to remind myself that i am also very stressed from school and i am between medications right now for mt ptsd so its a lot right now.

I’ll get there.

A while ago I had some hidden carbs, it’s amazing how fast the weight goes up. It was mainly water weight - but it was discouraging to see my body not willing to let it go for a full week. It’s as if it wasn’t sure - was I giving it carbs or keto so it hedged its bets and kept me in suspense. Was it water weight or permanent “damage”. Just water.

Don’t worry about it, seriously in the grand scheme of things it is nothing, just a minor speed bump. Tweaks and minor set backs are part of the journey. You’ll be OK.

Thanks for sharing your great grandma story. Wow. :slight_smile:

Just KCKO.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #10

This will harm you more than help you
I’ve put on 8kg in the last two weeks, purely water weight from overloading on carbs
You just need to push through
Going back to carbs now will hurt you further in the long run
I know it sucks but it must be done.

(Laurie) #11

Hi @Yaz. I think we all (or at least most of us) experience this kind of setback, whether it’s because of habit, craving, work/school stress, pressure or lack of understanding by family or friends, or feeling like it would be rude to turn something down.

And it can certainly be frustrating to put weight back on and feel that your efforts have been wasted or aren’t worth it.

I hope you’ll stick around, read lots of posts, and keep trying. You can do it. Good luck!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #12

You didn’t do it for nothing. You tried and you did it. And you can do it again. Muster up the excitement and resolve you had when you started the first time. Have back up plans when visiting family (pack snacks you can keep with your stuff in case you can only eat a little bit of what’s being served). If you eat off plan while visiting, don’t look at it as a failure, look at as research and confirmation that keto works for you when you do it. That’s a great thing.

(Bruce) #13

Craving carbs?
Are you using sweeteners?
I used to be able to eat a pint of ice-cream on the evening in front of the TV and follow it with a pound of chocolate so I know where you’re coming from. The only answer for me was to swear off sweet altogether so my palate wouldn’t have a reminder even if the stuff we still in the house. I now try the sweet stuff every month or so and have no craving or desire to eat it. Maybe that’s your route if you’re not already taking that path?

Yaz - well done on what you’ve achieved so far. If you really have to accept the carbs another time could you insist on a smaller bowl of pasta feigning that you’re full and in private have some nuts or keto food that you’ve taken with you. Life throws lots at us. Pick yourself up pat yourself on the back for your achievements so far and get back on track and are you remembering your electrolytes?

Chocolate cravings are most likely cravings for the fat that is usually in chocolate. Easily staunched by taking a couple bites of very dark chocolate, or adding some cocoa powder and cream to your coffee.

Sugar cravings could mean that you don’t have enough fat in your diet, or that you have just too many carbs at a time some meals. I personally don’t shy away from sweeteners, but when I follow the keto properly, I tend to not want them. Yesterday I (intentionally, sushi with my daughter is a rare treat) had a whole serving of rice, but later in the day, diet coke tasted way too sweet.

Fiber is also a good way to stop cravings. Some psyllium husk, or uncooked potato starch will make you feel too full to even eat sweets.

Going straight into ketosis after a break sounds like it could have concequences. I would have a few days with some added beans to the keto meal just to not send my body into a panic. That’s also how I transitioned into the diet, and it was painless until I got low sodium headaches (which were easily fixed).

Now I just have to convince my body again that it wants fat, not sugar. Will be snacking on cream and cheese today.

And don’t feel like you’ve screwed up. Eating healthy is something you do all the time, except for special occasions. In a temperate climate zone, people would most likely have eaten all the sweet fruits they could find in autumn, and then almost the entire rest of the year would be carnivore. There is no screw-up as long as you just go back to a healthy diet after your short vacation. Food is supposed to make us happy, not sad.

(No disrespect to those who never eat carbs no matter what. That’s an awsome wol, and I know some also need it for reasons outside just weight loss.)

(Kaz) #16

Hell seriously girl you are way ahead of those that are yet to make those important changes in their lives.
Be proud of you achievements and don’t be so hard on yourself. Remember you are still learning and there’s no shame in Stumbling from time to time, the most important thing is you keep learning and you get right back up again
I am a self confessed chocoholic, only ever drank milo(spoon fulls with some milk) hot chocolate or vanilla chia latte.
Until l found my new favourite go to : Keto hot chocolate❤️ Cocoa powder, heavy cream, coconut milk, tiny bit of coffee, Stevia powder, cinnamon & vanilla.
I am amazed at how full/content l am.
I don’t get sugar cravings mid afternoon/ evening anymore.
Your doing a great job, keep it going.

Yeah. I tried too quickly and got hypoglycemic and almost fainted while working with a client. I am feeling better now though. I am back on track and today is day 3 back on full keto.

Lastnight i noticed that my weight stalled at 151 but even with the carbs it wasnt going up anymore. I still have a lot of edema associated with the carbs and will probably drop about 3 pounds in water.

But was even more interesting to me was that i am using twice as much weight now in my workouts (10 now up from 5. For my free weights) and i was using ankle weights for my legs and help with some core stuff.

I am pleased with my physical progression and it keeps me motivated about the diet too

I have done different “diets” before whether it be simply cutting out the sweets or other changes. No matter how long i did it good for, i would wind up “cheating” which would lead to days of cheating and then finding myself right back in the same situation i was prior to making changes to my diet. A few of the things i love about keto is…

1.) Simply understanding why and how it works (the science behind it).
2.) I personally think at this point its easy. You eat until your satisfied! Prior to keto i would eat a healthy dinner while counting calories and go to bed hungry and not sleep well. Now if I’m still hungry, I just eat more keto food. The feeling of being satisfied makes things easier.
3.) When I do “cheat,” I just get back on the horse and move on. If i put on a couple pounds I know it’s just water weight and that after a couple days of eating keto I’m back to where I was and making progression.

yeah, today I did a 24 hour fast which I just broke 10 mins ago. I am back down to 150, 148.6 was my lowest about a week and a half ago. So I am satisfied, I still have a lot of water retention and I know it is because of these damn amazing tasting Pear Redbulls I was drinking for a bit :stuck_out_tongue: So yeah, I assume when the water weight comes off, I will actually be lighter than I was before :slight_smile: