Science behind Egg Fast

Hi Sue, are you still doing the egg fasts? I’ve been throwing in an egg fast day here and there too. I treat it as a modified fast or fat fast I can do when I’m not in the mood to do a full fast day. Sometimes I do it back to back with a full fast day. It definitely gets the ketosis going, and suppresses my appetite. Lately I’ve been lining them up with the Fridays in Lent. I enjoy the egg fast foods, but I don’t usually want to do it for more than one day at a time.

How a meal for you look like, how you add the fat and do you use the cheese option as well?
And how many meals do you have?
I am super curious about things but I myself can’t do egg fasts for various reasons. Like I would miss my pork, my sour cream, my eggs (because I barely can eat a few on an egg fast and that’s just not enough) and I would hate the too much fat (therefore the lowered egg intake).
I only had one dish when I did it and that didn’t work well. I only could eat one egg at a time too and having many small meals is not something I enjoy.

Hi Shinita, I did one yesterday, and ended up doing 2 meals. I expected to want a third meal, but then I just didn’t get hungry at night. I’m a little more lax with the egg fast rules, but do try to keep approximately the ratio of a tbsp fat to one egg, and I allow the cheese option. I consider cream cheese to be halfway between butter and cheese, so I may count that as the fat sometimes. I ended up having 6 eggs yesterday, plus some coffees with almond milk and MCT oil powder added.

My first meal was a modified Maria Emmerich recipe for a porridge made with 3 eggs and almond milk plus salt, cinnamon, coconut oil and butter with allulose as a sweetener. My later meal was some hard boiled eggs mashed with cream cheese and mustard, some cheddar Whisps on the side (which are just baked cheese crisps), and a couple of Simple Truth Puff Bunz (which are just frozen pre-made cloud bread disks made out of eggs and cream cheese) spread with butter and cream cheese. I didn’t get hungry at night, so I just enjoyed a decaf americano. I also allowed Zevia sodas with my meals, which are stevia-sweetened soft drinks.

Oh yes she has some egg ideas I would never ever think about…

Thanks for the answer, it made me think… If I ever will try an egg fast style meal for some reason (mostly curiosity… or keeping my protein intake lower than normally possible), I will have more ideas now. Cream cheese surely sounds better than adding a lot of fat to my boiled egg (I made some fatty deviled eggs).

I know cheese whisps very well, make a few every day since weeks. I started with several, I had a phase. Good stuff.

There are some good egg fast recipes all over the internet, mostly based on combos of eggs and cream cheese, which I love. So I’m usually excited to do an egg fast day. Dr Annette Bosworth has had students do a 72-hour sardines challenge to get into deep ketosis. I am much less enthusiastic about trying that protocol. Maybe one day.

I never had cream cheese I think… It’s not really a thing here though I could buy it in bigger supermarkets…
But I am so not into egg fast rules that I probably would end up using various fatty dairy… What could go possibly wrong? :wink: But I can try cream cheese too, of course. But mascarpone is fattier now that I googled them… And so good mixed with sour cream.

:scream:

Okay, even an egg fast (a creative one) is much better than that… I couldn’t eat a tin of sardines without effort. But very restrictive eating isn’t my thing to begin with. Not even for a short time though I do like one day experiments with stricter rules. But I rarely eat 1-2 items only. And if I do, egg and/or some good meat should be included.

I think eggs with fatty dairy would make an ideal egg fast. I love mascarpone, but it is more expensive here than cream cheese, so I don’t get it as often. The only thing to be careful of is that a lot of egg fast sites warn against heavy cream itself during an egg fast, mentioning that it can stall people. I think that mascarpone mixed with sour cream may be fine. It would be a tasty experiment for sure!

Hi there, Nut. I did the one fast for about 40 hours and it put me back into ketosis and I dropped a pound (probably water). I did find it easy enough that I will definitely be doing it again, maybe once or twice a week. I’m not going to torture myself with it but a day or two at a time really isn’t that difficult for me, at least not yet. It’s a nice fall-back plan when we need to shake things up a little or on days that we just don’t feel like thinking about or preparing our meals!
Sue

Awesome! I will probably be doing it one day a week for a while too. It is easier than adding a second full fast day each week as I was doing for a few weeks, and my average weight continues to slowly move downward.

(Thomas Martin) #30

what a great explanation