Scared to Throw Away Fat Clothes

Another vote to keeping them. If you live in Manhattan and have no room, then ok toss. Otherwise find a closet or basement somewhere out of sight to store them especially if space is not a premium. I went from a 22W to a 16W in 2010. I did not throw anything away and then in 2014 went back to a 20/22W and I was happy I did not have to shop. I was even happier this summer when I went back to the 16W clothes that I had stored and now can wear a 14 regular. I am still not done so bought some pants and shirts at a big box for 8 -16$ each. I simply could no longer wear almost all my plus sized clothing. Some still fit my waist (I hate you IR!) but did not fit anyplace else such as in the butt)

I have purged my wardrobe of anything very worn (definitely got my money’s worth on the fat clothes) or simply yucky or torn. Everything else I have boxed up in case this keto thing does not work out. I hope it does, it has so far but I have far more space than money

(Bunny) #22

Thrown away most of my tent clothes last week they were falling off of me! Skirts were becoming hula hoops lol!

(Pete A) #23

You can also bring them for alterations and continue to wear! I has someone do my 4 suits, which in the future if need be can be let out again.

(Pat S) #24

I understand your fear. I have found that shopping at Salvation Army and Goodwill I can find good and inexpensive clothing when I am losing the pounds and need clothes to hold me over.

I will confess to storing my fat clothes. I’ve been down this road many times. I’m hoping this is the last. Good luck!

(Sheri Knauer) #25

I finally got rid of my fat clothes. I was the same, lose, gain, lose, gain, repeat, so I had clothes in my closet ranging from size 6-16, small to large, etc. I bit the bullet and donated all the sizes that no longer fit. You could donate your “fat” clothes, then find a nice thrift store and get yourself some new stuff there. I buy all my kids clothes from thrift stores. What with the way they grow and the price of clothes, no way Im buying new. You can find nice designer stuff for a fraction of the cost of buying them brand new in a department store!

(John B) #26

Throw them out!!!

@Goal179 Dawn, I wonder if there’s a way to keep a few favorites in a way that doesn’t feel negative or defeatist. Hanging on to one or two of your best pieces will be a nice testament to how far you’ve come. You might actually love having them in a few years just as a part of your story, your path.

This way you don’t have a nagging feeling of doubt (what if I regain/ what if I’m tempting fate by getting rid of them/ what about $) but it also doesn’t feel like a comment on your optimism about where you’re going.

(Sophie) #28

I just keep one size up and donate the rest. I figure that if, God Forbid, I ever gain again, those larger sizes will be out of date anyway, and if I have to buy bigger, it’s motivation to get rid of the weight again! eta: I’ve gone from 22w-24w to currently a misses 14, so I have 16’s in my closet besides new 14’s.

(John Collyer) #29

My vote is for throwing them out, although in my case I donated them to a local charity to raise money for a good cause.

After decades of Yo-Yo dieting, with weight regain within a year each time, I finally achieved sustained weight loss and was determined it would remain permanent so I allowed my wife to edit my wardrobe and remove the clothes I no longer wore. Some of the garments were over thirty years old and it was like saying goodbye to old friends. I always dressed for comfort rather than style but they had become too ill-fitting to be comfortable.

During my LCHF journey I bought intermediate sizes from cheaper sources because I wore them only for a few months before needing to down-size - from 42 inch waist to 30 inches, two inches at a time. Now that I am at my preferred stable weight I shop at the better clothing stores, with the added bonus that my slimmer size is commoner than my previously obese frame so there is a wider choice on the sale racks and I can buy thriftily.

Maybe keep a couple of items for your ‘before and after’ photographs when you reach a stable weight you like.

(Chris) #30

I wish I kept my clothes on the way up.

In hingsight, if I have jeans in good condition, Im going to box them or vacuum pack them and label the size for the god forbid instance that I fall off and go back up. Im just about to buy jeans 2 sizes smaller than what Ive had for the last 3 years.

(Candy Lind) #31

What I told myself: “Keep the absolute biggest pair to remind you where you came from. Then give the rest to charities that have resale shops. Then, start shopping at those stores for clothes that other women who have not found keto grew out of. Resale boutiques are everywhere, if you need something ‘nice’ for a special occasion. You lost all this weight - REWARD yourself. You deserve to LOOK GOOD as well as feel good!!”

Having said that, I am working my way down for the second time through a mountain of clothes ranging from 26/28W down to misses’ 14. Yes, I lost 125 pounds and gained it all back. This is THE LAST TIME. They are going out the door as I “outshrink” them (I guess that’s the opposite of “outgrow!”). I am shedding my “disposaphobic” ways along with the weight. I saved a pair of jeans that I want to get into one leg of when I’m at goal for a picture.

It’s really up to you if you keep them. But I hope you think you are worth NOT keeping them.

My son’s high school is doing a clothes drive for victims of human trafficking. They have a need for clothes all the way up to 3x. Wouldn’t it be wonderful for them to be able to have your lovely items that you will NEVER wear again?

(Shayne) #33

This is my plan, too, for if I ever actually lose some weight.

(Michele) #34

Slowly but surely my clothes will be going to the Red Cross shop. I will ensure I get enough use out of them before looking ridiculous. Also fortunate that a good chunk of my wardrobe can accommodate some variance in size (stretchy fabric and elastic waists).
One thing to consider - in giving our clothes to charity shops we are helping people dress themselves who might not be able to afford brand new clothes.
Other reasons for ill health withstanding, the longer we spend keto the healthier our bodies should become and less reason to put on weight as long as we don’t abandon our friend keto.

(Gary) #35

I have 2 belts like that. :slight_smile: