Returning participant

(Bob M) #18

@Shinita I still like that recipe, though it does have a lot of paprika in it.

I think these are called “martinis” only because they are in a martini glass, which looks like this (where I live, anyway):

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

The story goes that the drink got its name from being originally made with Martini & Rossi vermouth, but other etymologies have also been proposed.

(Bob M) #20

When I was higher carb, I had some of these:

This one looks interesting:

I wonder if I could make this low carb? We have a MASSIVE bottle of vodka from Costo. I assume if I took some of that, put it in a jar, and put some vanilla beans in it, that would get me vanilla vodka. Wonder how long I’d need to wait?

Not sure about coconut rum though. Add some coconut to rum and let sit?

Of course, have to get rid of the pineapple juice.

Could be good, though.

(PSackmann) #21

Not too long otherwise you’ll have vanilla extract. I’d check it after a couple of days to be sure.

Hmmm, not sure how long there or how much coconut you’d need to add to get a decent coconut flavor. Shredded unsweetened would flavor the rum quicker, going with a nice dark rum would give it a hint of sweetness (not from sugar, but the naturally aging of the rum). Now I’m going to have to experiment with this…

Instead of pineapple juice, you could make a pineapple rum or vodka, I’d use light rum for that since you want the pineapple to shine. A week with fresh pineapple infusing, then straining, will give you that flavor pretty well, if you go heavy with the pineapple.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack, this is one of my hobbies

(Bob M) #22

It would be an interesting set of tests. Thanks for the info.

How many carbs do you thing there’d be for the pineapple rum? Though I guess you don’t use much of it anyway.

We stayed on vacation at a place that made coconut coffee. I tried to recreate that by adding coconut to my grounds when doing cold brew, but got nothing.

Lately, I’ve been using cinnamon in my cold brew, and that does have a slight taste. Better in my tea, heated to 190F though.

Does alcohol trigger increased insulin?

I can tell you now, as a ketogenic gin drinker in probably unhealthy volumes, it doesn’t.
I reversed my T2 diabetes, sleep apnea and NAFLD (and to a certain extent, lowered hypertension into normal-ish). Calories are calories…hormones are hormones.

Now. I unequivocally agree that alcohol is damaging, in more ways than one.
I’m just saying, if you drink gin and ‘slimline tonic’ like myself, you will still lose weight and reverse T2 and NAFDL etc. if you stick at it. No matter what caloric value of the alcohol. This I have proved as a sample of 1=me.

What worries me…that slimline tonic water has aspartame as a sweetener:

And I also don’t know too much about quinine.
Hey, if any of you folks know of a low sugar alternative mixer for a gin head, please tell me!
And no, I don’t wish to go sipping single malt whiskey without even a drop of water…

Cheers.

• Unfriendly processed foods - does this include lunchmeats and cheeses?
    I still eat cheddar cheese (Irish/UK), I still eat sausages both pork and beef (Irish/UK), I still eat bacon but I try to eat this type which has no ‘known’ carcinogens, and is produced locally for me:
    Nitrite free bacon launches in major British breakthrough for food safety - Finnebrogue Artisan
  • Maximum carbs recommended to start? I have read 50g but that seems high.
    I just stopped all sugar, bread, processed food (except sausages) and starchy veg. It worked.
  • Spirits allowed? I’m on the gin.
  • Sugar free pop in small quantity? 1 a day, sometimes no days.
    I’ve had 1 in about a year. They aren’t tasty at all, and you soon realize this.
    Thanks
    [/quote]

I lost 27 kilos by the way. Near 4 stone. That’s 56 pounds in old money.
That’s in about 8 months at the age of 46.

I don’t think I would have managed to that any other way, apart from starving…which I don’t do!
(unless you consider skipping breakfast ‘starving yourself’. I don’t).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Do they have sugar or other unwanted chemicals in them? If not, don’t worry about them. Traditionally processed food is not what we worry about.

As for the fact that meat contains possibly carcinogenic nitrates, the exact same nitrates are found—and in much greater abundance—in various plants that we are encouraged to eat. Are these identical chemicals somehow not harmful in plants and somehow dangerous in meat? I don’t believe so, especially since the people telling us how dangerous the nitrates are in meat don’t want us eating meat for reasons quite apart from human health.

Dr. Westman recommends a top limit of 20 total g/day to his patients. Virta Health recommends a limit of 50 g/day total, in the hope, as Dr. Phinney says, that will keep the patients under 20 g/day net. We recommend 20 g/day, but say it’s up to you to choose total or net. Many people feel that total is not only simpler but also more healthful; many others do just fine counting net carbs.

Hard liquor is generally carbohydrate-free. Alcohol, though, is metabolised in the liver, by the same pathway that also metabolises fructose and branched-chain amino acids. That pathway is easily overwhelmed and can quite quickly lead to fatty liver disease, so be careful with your total consumption of all three.

Didn’t you ask these questions in another thread? Did you not go back to check, or were you hoping for different answers?

In any case, diet soda pop is okay, with the proviso that (a) some people react with an insulin spike to some of the non-sugar sweeteners, and (b) all diet sodas I’ve ever heard of are sweetened with aspartame, and many people consider aspartame the devil’s handiwork. If you are not among them, then have at it.

I’m not asking the questions- but thanks for answering anyway my friend!

[quote=“coopdawg, post:23, topic:114342”]
What worries me…that slimline tonic water has aspartame as a sweetener:

And I also don’t know too much about quinine.
Hey, if any of you folks know of a low sugar alternative mixer for a gin head, please tell me!
And no, I don’t wish to go sipping single malt whiskey without even a drop of water…

Listen, people on here seem to be in the know.

I genuinely would like an alternative to the must derided aspartame in my gin mixer.

Many thanks!

Suprisingly l have been below 10g the last 4 days. Eggs keep me very full. 2 oz of cheese a day is more than enough. Do you use mayo, for egg salad or chicken salad?

(PSackmann) #31

Sorry, been off the last couple of days.

Tangueray has a Rangpur Lime gin out that is really nice. I haven’t tried it yet with sparkling water, I think it would work if it was extra carbonated (think soda stream with extra carbonation). Quinine doesn’t bother me, the aspartame does though.

(Rebecca ) #33

Zevia makes no sugar tonic water and mixers. They use stevia. I haven’t tried them but know they exist.

(Bob M) #34

So, no gin and olives “martini”?

come to the good ol’ US and I will take ya out to a bar and we won’t even get near ‘all those amts’ listed. being carnivore we got about a 100% chance we can’t handle darn near alot of booze anymore :clown_face::unicorn:

Hmmm. That almost sounds healthy.
Thanks!

I will try. Thanks.
I still feel better than before (on sugar), but I’m now wary of the warnings over artificial sweeteners.

I am sorry, I missed this.

I dislike mayo (except when it’s more yolk than fat and the fat is something nice like good lard) and all salads in existence even the non-veg stuff. So nope.
I do my best to avoid added fat anyway. I kind of understand I never can lose any fat but at least I want to avoid overeating… I must focus on my satiating items and those are my proper protein sources, meat (except chicken) and eggs. I eat other things but in moderation.