Replacement for Honey for Sore Throat

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #1

Folks,

With the drier weather I am starting to lose my voice. In Pre-Keto days, lemon herbal tea with honey sure helped a lot... need some good Keto friendly suggestions as a replacement for the honey.  

Thanks!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Chicken broth? Drink the lemon tea without the honey maybe. Licorice tea, it’s anti inflammatory. I hope you’re feeling better soon. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #3

My husband swears by gargling his mouth -head back into throat, with salt, helps him when he has a sore throat. He does it with salt and with mouth wash as well, he claims it helps him, so you could try that.

Hot boiling water helped me last week with a sore throat, I drank it just like that, and peppermint herbal tea as well.

@David_Stilley’s suggestions are all great too =).

Take care, I hope that you are feeling better soon too.

(Marianne) #4

I agree; I think this is the best remedy for a sore throat. Helps me every time. Not only do I gargle with warm salt water, but I rinse my mouth with it frequently. I think it retards a lot of the bad flora in your mouth and throat.

(Bob M) #5

My wife uses cayenne pepper and maybe AC vinegar. I’ll have to check.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #6

If you’re okay with artificial sweeteners, I was recommended by my SIL to drink ‘hot jelly’ - so a small amount of sugar-free jelly crystals made into a drink with boiling water. SIL is from the States and I’d never heard of that idea over here in UK.

It doesn’t kill germs (gargle with salt water for that job!) but it’s remarkably soothing for a sore, scratchy throat.

The chemical-free non-sweet version of hot jelly would be I suppose plain gelatine dissolved in hot water. Haven’t tried that myself.

(Joey) #7

Same, same. Not sure why this seems to help, but it does.

(Daisy) #8

Or just do the honey. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. There are some great posts on here in support of using local raw honey medicinally in the Ketogenic diet.

(Joey) #9

@Ketodaisy Do these great posts include the fact that 1 tablespoon (21g) of raw honey contains 17 grams of both gross and net carbs (i.e., no fiber)?

For someone trying to remain in a dietary ketogenic state, it’s unclear to me how consuming almost a full day’s worth of carbohydrate in a single spoonful is a great idea.

Put differently, there might indeed be something wrong with that :wink:

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #10

Great ideas and input all around; you folks rock! I added some salt to my green tea and am gargling before swallowing. It seems to help. Also, I will search the posts on local honey.

(Daisy) #11

First of all, you only need a teaspoon, not a tablespoon to reap the medicinal benefits.
Second, I’ll leave our honey expert’s words here. I also link to her other post in comments above.

(Joey) #12

@Ketodaisy Fair enough!

We may not quite agree on this one, but honey is most certainly a natural substance with potential medicinal benefits based on dosage. If I were reaching for a glucose blast, raw honey would be my very first choice. But context is everything…

Used as a limited seasonal pre-winter (hibernation) prep in the context of an otherwise high saturated fat/low carb diet, honey is likely a great way to add body fat while enjoying a fleeting burst of energy. And a tasty one at that!

But as a daily routine, e.g., added to one’s morning tea throughout each and every morning of the year, not so much. :honeybee::cherry_blossom::bouquet:

(Jane) #13

From a tsp in a hot drink? Do you really think ingesting 21 calories (6 g carbs according to Chronometer) of honey will cause you to store fat? I wouldn’t recommend it daily but to soothe a sore throat is a different situation.

My hubby would second this! :smiley:

I mostly have a sore throat only in the morning, I drink hot tea and it disappears a bit later.
When I had such things as a sore throat for up to 3 days, I used onion soup. Honey had zero effect but the soup was a miracle. maybe it’s just me? But I don’t think so, my Mom made me drink onion tea (it’s awful, it’s good I realized the delicious soup is just as good or better as I actually swallow it) so it must be something traditional.
I imagine there are herbs that help too.

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #16

Thanks folks for all the very, very good feedback on my post! Good food for thought ( although not as good a food as bacon).:rofl:

(Prancing Pony) #17

MCT oil. It coats the throat and is antibacterial. Also if you combine it with the honey it seems to keep me in ketosis, but I have only tried that on 1 teaspoon in a 24 hour period.