Our bodies were not meant to zero carb

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but the answer seems obvious. Our bodies were not meant to zero carb. While many people can eat inferiorly for a long time without any seeming ill effects, the lucky ones get feedback more quickly (before long term deficiencies lead to disease).

More (or less) of a good thing is not always better. A low carb diet that lowers BG and insulin is good, but that doesn’t mean our bodies don’t need the nutrition that vegetables or fruit provides. Broccoli and kale are not ornamental plants.

I can feel myself losing motivation
(Chris) #2

Citation requested.

(Erin Macfarland ) #3

I honestly think this is a wonderfully healthy way to eat and that plants are not necessary for health. But I’m struggling with the fatigue and apathy I feel. I can’t make myself eat any more than I already am. I’m eating two to three pounds of beef a day plus eggs, a little cheese, and my favorite crutch, pork rinds. So I know I’m eating enough. I’m just not sure how to make it through the sudden drop in energy and muscle fatigue. And mentally I’m struggling to always want to eat meat. I feel like a zero Carb sinner for wanting some Lily’s chocolate haha. I don’t know how to get over the hump.

(Chris) #4

I admit I’m not experienced enough with ZC to really make an assumption, but maybe the adaptation is taking longer than usual for whatever reason. Maybe try cutting out everything but meat for a while and see how that goes? Many have reported that eggs or dairy have become intolerable in one way or another (many have said the opposite too, I don’t want to sound biased because I enjoy both myself).

(Erin Macfarland ) #5

I might cry if I have to give up the crispy fried eggs and pork rinds :weary:

(Sondra Rose) #6

One of my ZC clients was having similar symptoms. I recommended she up her fat and she felt better almost immediately.

It’s hard to get enough fat on steak, unless all your pieces are untrimmed chuck eye or rib eye cuts. Burgers need to be at least 80/20 and 70/30 for some people. You can add lard, tallow, or butter, of course!

(Sondra Rose) #7

Oh, and you might need more electrolytes, as well as Magnesium.

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

I eat pretty fatty meat. Too much fat seems to turn my stomach on ZC

(Erin Macfarland ) #9

I take electrolytes and magnesium so I know that’s not it either.

(Sondra Rose) #10

I beg to differ. All needed micronutrients can be obtained via animal foods and are actually more bioavailable.

Please do not post anti-Zero carb fallacies in this category.

Plenty of references compiled here:

(Sondra Rose) #11

On Keto my normal electrolytes were fine, but when I went ZC (again), I doubled everything, and it seems to be working better this time.

As far as other micronutrients, I make sure to eat liver and seafood weekly. Oysters whenever possible.

(Chris) #12

Yeah the turned stomach is probably your natural fat limit. I get it too and a different aversion to lean. Fascinating stuff.

(Brooke ) #13

I found it ironic that this is actually the same argument Carnivores use to describe people eating a diet with vegetables. Some people can tolerate them even though they are inferior.

as for me, I’m giving “animal-based” a good try for the month of January.

(Brooke ) #14

hmmm, would you consider having a carb day and see how you feel? I do think there is some merit in the idea of doing carbs and switching up your hormones temporarily and then getting back to ZC for some. I personally would try it. I’m not sure what I would eat to carb-up but if I felt like you I would try knowing that I would be back to ketosis really quickly.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #15

I can’t hit the like button enough on this. TY

(Erin Macfarland ) #16

I’ve had plenty of times over the years doing keto where I’d have a “carb up” and it’s usually when I haven’t been eating enough and my hunger gets the best of me and I’d end up eating a box of cereal or something. The whole premise of ZC is to get thorough the adaptation to really experience the benefits. So not sure if adding carbs would help things.

(Brooke ) #17

I guess when I’ve heard the premise behind carb’ing up it was that the hormonal changes that happen can be beneficial short term. Especially for women. Maybe it wouldn’t be an entire box of cereal, but a rather a sweet potato. But I don’t have much personal experience with it. There are lots of people who cycle, especially athletes so it would be something I’d consider especially if I was a runner. I’d also consider seeing my naturopath. It might not be only diet related.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

This thought is a vegetarian meme, and has been debunked. The minimum daily requirement amount of carbohydrate required in the human diet is 0.0%

You may be thinking of the fact that the brain and certain other organs require a minimum level of glucose to function, but this requirement is easily furnished on demand by gluconeogenesis in the liver, and does not require carbohydrate to be present in the diet.

(Erin Macfarland ) #19

Yes I agree with this, and the issue I’m facing is not that I think ZC is fundamentally wrong or lacks sufficient nutrients, it’s more mental for me and I’m struggling with the low energy and apathy I’m feeling at this point.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

I hear you! And as someone with his own, different issues, I feel for you. Hope you get it sorted. And I hope all these great posts can give you support—and maybe some useful bit of info, too. Here’s some virtual bacon to cheer you up: :bacon::bacon: