Our bodies were not meant to zero carb

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

I eat pretty fatty meat. Too much fat seems to turn my stomach on ZC

(Erin Macfarland ) #9

I take electrolytes and magnesium so I know that’s not it either.

(Sondra Rose) #10

I beg to differ. All needed micronutrients can be obtained via animal foods and are actually more bioavailable.

Please do not post anti-Zero carb fallacies in this category.

Plenty of references compiled here:

(Sondra Rose) #11

On Keto my normal electrolytes were fine, but when I went ZC (again), I doubled everything, and it seems to be working better this time.

As far as other micronutrients, I make sure to eat liver and seafood weekly. Oysters whenever possible.

(Chris) #12

Yeah the turned stomach is probably your natural fat limit. I get it too and a different aversion to lean. Fascinating stuff.

(Brooke ) #13

I found it ironic that this is actually the same argument Carnivores use to describe people eating a diet with vegetables. Some people can tolerate them even though they are inferior.

as for me, I’m giving “animal-based” a good try for the month of January.

(Brooke ) #14

hmmm, would you consider having a carb day and see how you feel? I do think there is some merit in the idea of doing carbs and switching up your hormones temporarily and then getting back to ZC for some. I personally would try it. I’m not sure what I would eat to carb-up but if I felt like you I would try knowing that I would be back to ketosis really quickly.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #15

I can’t hit the like button enough on this. TY

(Erin Macfarland ) #16

I’ve had plenty of times over the years doing keto where I’d have a “carb up” and it’s usually when I haven’t been eating enough and my hunger gets the best of me and I’d end up eating a box of cereal or something. The whole premise of ZC is to get thorough the adaptation to really experience the benefits. So not sure if adding carbs would help things.

(Brooke ) #17

I guess when I’ve heard the premise behind carb’ing up it was that the hormonal changes that happen can be beneficial short term. Especially for women. Maybe it wouldn’t be an entire box of cereal, but a rather a sweet potato. But I don’t have much personal experience with it. There are lots of people who cycle, especially athletes so it would be something I’d consider especially if I was a runner. I’d also consider seeing my naturopath. It might not be only diet related.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

This thought is a vegetarian meme, and has been debunked. The minimum daily requirement amount of carbohydrate required in the human diet is 0.0%

You may be thinking of the fact that the brain and certain other organs require a minimum level of glucose to function, but this requirement is easily furnished on demand by gluconeogenesis in the liver, and does not require carbohydrate to be present in the diet.

(Erin Macfarland ) #19

Yes I agree with this, and the issue I’m facing is not that I think ZC is fundamentally wrong or lacks sufficient nutrients, it’s more mental for me and I’m struggling with the low energy and apathy I’m feeling at this point.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

I hear you! And as someone with his own, different issues, I feel for you. Hope you get it sorted. And I hope all these great posts can give you support—and maybe some useful bit of info, too. Here’s some virtual bacon to cheer you up: :bacon::bacon:

(Chris) #21

Which?

(Erin Macfarland ) #22

@Jason_Fletcher those on ZC are not encouraged to take vitamins since meat has everything you need. I do take electrolytes and get plenty of salt plus some high quality fish oil .

(Jason Fletcher) #24

You eating organ meats? and if so what ones and how much?

What is your goal for going ZC. If you received the benefits but need to supplement vitamins then do it. There is no point in becoming dogmatic about it. People also can live without vitamin C supplementation on ZC but if you cant no point of harming yourself. Plus if you don’t like organ meats you will need to supplement.

There is plenty of data out there about the disadvantages associated with too much protein. Here are a few. Note that none of these are from vegan/vegetarian advocates.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687363/http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/protein-how-much-is-too-much/

(Erin Macfarland ) #26

I do eat liver regularly.

(Jason Fletcher) #27

Hereditary hemochromatosis could be a factor if it is iron over load. The genes run in my family but have yet to be a problem for me.

I do not buy into the 100% plant based diet ideology. I’m not thinking that our body requires carbs. I’m thinking that there are nutrients and fiber (necessary for good gut health) that vegetables are good at supplying. More importantly, I’m convinced by LC diet health care practitioners (and there are many) that believe that too much protein isn’t ideal for maximizing health.