Not Understanding GKI

(Joey) #21

Seriously, Michael…

Do you go for annual physicals? Any other doctor appts where you get highly infrequent blood work? You know, so there’s some data to review and discuss?

“Testing weekly for anything, other than being alive, is useless?” Hopefully you’re not following your own advice, nor would you recommend it to your loved ones.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

That’s a bit different from testing once per week whether or not you have β-hydroxybutyrate in your blood. The concentration of β-hydroxybutyrate varies minute to minute. Even thinking that a once per week measurement means anything other than the instant it is measured is nonsense.

If you’re not going to measure β-hydroxybutyrate periodically during the day, there is no point measuring at all. Staying sub-20 grams of carbs per day is just as realible a measure of ketosis.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

Let’s get real. β-hydroxybutyrate varies minute to minute. That’s a brute fact. Measuring it once per week accomplishes what exactly? What it is at the moment of the test. Period. Since β-hydroxybutyrate is potential ketone energy, not utilized energy, a once per week test tells you nothing more than that your liver is synthesizing ketones. If you are consuming less than 20 grams of carbs per day and remain conscious, your liver is synthesizing ketones. So what does the weekly blood test for β-hydroxybutyrate tell you that you don’t already know? Nothing.

And don’t bother going off on the tangent of ‘anything’. I’m talking about @DeeCS weekly Keto Mojo test regimen. That’s useless.

(Joey) #24

@amwassil No point in our repeating ourselves further. Out of respect for everyone else on the forum, I feel it’s best to tap myself out. Ciao.

(Failed) #25

Please leave me alone. Bullying has no place in a support forum.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

I simply pointed out that measuring something once per week gives you no useful information. How is that ‘bullying you’? I’m trying to help you utilize your Keto Mojo.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #27

Fact: β-hydroxybutyrate varies minute to minute. Someone thinks measuring it once per week tells her anything useful. Out of ‘respect for everyone else on the forum’ you bow out. I don’t get it.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #28

I disagree. I have added in some carbs and weekly testing assures me I am still in ketosis. How would I know otherwise that my body can handle more than 20 grams?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

Well, let’s see. You measure what exactly once per week? Blood test of β-hydroxybutyrate on Friday morning? How do you know that you’re in ketosis Sat-Thu? If you’re not eating sub-20 grams of carbs per day, you don’t. You only know that you are in ketotis Friday morning when you make the measurement. What you and others don’t seem to understand is that β-hydroxybutyrate varies from minute to minute. What you measure once is not necessarily what it is a minute later or a day later. If you want to know for sure, you have to measure more frequently. It is a very dynamic variable, measuring once per week is not sufficient. That’s all I’m saying. Why this is so controversial is beyond me.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #30

You are obsessed, but that’s okay, I still like you. Not to get too controversial, but I am a picky eater, since childhood. Have gone in and out of ketosis my whole life. Calorie deficit for 61 years and still alive. If I drink milk for a week and still test positive that tells me I am doing well.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

Long ago and far away a nun once told me that anything worth doing was worth doing fanatically. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

This thread is getting argumentative and repetitive. It is now closed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) closed #33