Not Hungry! THIS IS AMAZING!

I am 51 yo female, pretty active with work, kids and a couple businesses. Have some struggles with female “issues”, and have been Keto’ing since Jan/Feb. I strayed a bit, and paid for it. But, I’ve been on the tight and narrow for about 2 weeks solid. When I started originally, I was 232. Faded off a bit, and re-started at 228. Today, I am 209.6.

Here’s the crazy thing: For the first time that I can recall - I woke up, had coffee, fixed a lovely breakfast of salty, buttery eggs over salted avocado halves- and after two small bites - all done. Have no desire to eat. Not hungry. Not craving. Not feeling deprived. Just not hungry. How the heck does that even happen???

All week, I’d been on this routine of getting up, doing some chores, eating 3 salted, buttered fried eggs and coffee, working until around 4pm, and eating 4-5 beef sticks for lunch, with an Americano. Come home at 8pm, maybe eat a little salad or cheese, or a little leftover chicken. Drink water, and go to bed.

Today, on my day off, I just don’t feel like eating a gorgeous breakfast! Perhaps fat adaptation is happening? IDK. But I feel like a million bucks!

YAY, KETO!!!

(Scott) #2

This is the crazy side of keto. The longer you stay on plan the better this WOE gets.

(Carl Keller) #3

Your body is getting better at tapping into your body fat for energy and has decided to give your ghrelin hormones permission to sleep in late today. Now’s the time to stop eating at certain times just because you are used to eating then. Ask yourself tomorrow morning if you are actually hungry before you make those eggs. You might be surprised to learn that you don’t need to eat breakfast any more. :slight_smile:

(John) #4

I know, right? This started for me about week 4. It’s like you suddenly discovered you had developed a superpower. That you can just not eat anything for long periods of time, and it doesn’t take a lot of food to make you feel satisfied, and yet you still have normal energy.

Almost like that is how you are supposed to feel, and you cured some long illness you weren’t aware of having.

Long ago, when the drug combo Phen-fen was around, I was on that, lost weight successfully, and noticed that same “I can eat half a meal and stop” feeling, and thought “oh, this is what it’s like for naturally thin people.” But here I am now, same feeling, no drugs, just the right combination of healthy foods.

One warning, at least from my experience - the feeling is not every single day. It came and went, but got to be a more regular thing as time progressed, until maybe by week 12, it was the norm. Just so you don’t stress out if you don’t feel it every day.

(Khara) #5

Congrats! Great job on sticking with this! You are reaping the benefits and will continue to do so! Great job too on listening to your body! It is changing! Enjoy! :grinning:

(Alec) #6

This is the way to do keto. You’ve listened to your ghrelin. I hope you really listened and stopped eating (this can be hard to do if you’ve had it ingrained in you culturally to finish what’s on your plate)?

Your body is still learning to use its own fat stores, but it sounds like it is already happy to use them. :+1::+1:

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #7

Congrats! Now you get to learn to listen carefully to your body and only eat when you’re actually hungry :yum:.

This. Yes, from an early age it was ingrained in me to “Clean your plate!”. My parents grew up during the depression, and my grandparents ingrained the same thing in them. So, its been a difficult habit and mentality to break.
And, being the mom of a family - with a hubby, and 5 kids…not eating with them is difficult. I’m fine preparing meals and serving them, but for right now, it is hard to sit there and eat with them. I can drink water, tea or coffee while sitting…but its odd.

Still listening this morning, though. Fixed bacon and French toast for the family…drank my salted water and some coffee…and I’m fine.

(Bethany Greenwood) #9

This topic is why I joined the forums in the first place. I am not getting this. I am still always hungry. I keep my carbs below 20gNet but I still can’t stop eating, I even did a 2.5 day feast recently as I’m determined to fast as I’ve stopped loosing weight. Even on those days I still could have eaten more but couldn’t get any more Keto food and refused to eat carbs as that seemed pointless. Has anyone lese had this experience? Any advice is much appreciated.

One of the main reasons (After controlling my insulin resistance and weight loss) I started keto was the idea I could not need to eat 6 times a day. Please help :frowning_face:

Of course it doesn’t work the same for everyone…
I couldn’t lower my calories until fat adaptation and extreme low-carb and I need to be careful with my food choices even now (just a bit, fortunately).
How much do you eat? If you are still a beginner, get used to this woe, fat-loss be damned, at least I had to do that, I don’t accept hunger.
Did you try various food choices, macros? It took some time but now I know that I must minimize added fat and pretty much avoid carbs like vegetables, they just make me hungry. But various fat:protein ratios work if the fat is in my protein source. Some people need to avoid dairy, others sweeteners… Timing, mealsizes, there are so many factors. There are no single good method for everyone.

Would you mind posting a sample of what you’re eating daily? Sometimes, we can help troubleshoot. One of the most common issues is not eating enough healthy fat. The fat is really what keeps you feeling full and satiated. I’m about 95% carnivore now, and really don’t need to eat daily anymore. Tummy grumbling at work is really annoying, but I will pop a couple MCT capsules, and that helps. (I can’t always just bite off a hunk of butter and eat it.)
So, post a daily menu, and I’m sure folks will jump in and offer kind, helpful advice.

(Bethany Greenwood) #12

Thank you!! I;'ve made a whole post here

I am dairy free and no sweeteners I’ve been keto since August.

(Bethany Greenwood) #13

Thanks so much!! I’ve made a full post here with a typical day of eating here

Okay! Well, I’d focus on increasing the fats with fatty cuts of meat as opposed to lean protien, shave off the veggies a little more maybe, and nix the dark chocolate. Dark chocolate can be anything above 70%. That’s a decent amount sugar- even if it is only a treat. Try 85% or higher, if you’re dying for chocolate. Or, try Lily’s. Its not bad for SF.

So, try to eat a big fat ribeye, or short ribs. Slathered in butter. You likely won’t need to eat for a day or so. But, just listen to your body. If you get little grumbles, pop a couple MCT oil capsules. Or, eat some coconut oil. You can fast and still have a bit of pure fat without throwing off the autophagy. Be patient with yourself, and kind. It takes a little work, but it becomes easier the longer you do it.

Keeping hunger at bay while trying to fast can be a little tricky. Chicken broth heated up makes me feel fuller. MCT oil is helpful, too. My longest fast was 7 days - and by day 4, I felt like Wonder Woman! It is totally worth it to try, but its helpful to start out with shorter time periods, then work your way up to 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, etc… But, definitely work more fat into your diet. It’ll help!!!

(Bethany Greenwood) #15

Thank you! Yeah, the more I’m reading here, the more I think I maybe not eating enough and that’s why I stopped loosing weight, and am struggling to fast.