Not a good day...can I get a pep talk?

(Laurie) #21

Glad you made it through without sugar!

There’s something you can do when feeling bla–go “window shopping” for smaller clothes on the Internet.

I was feeling bla for the past few days. Mostly I stayed in bed with books.

(Cindy) #22

Except I hate clothes shopping. :wink: Even when I was a size 10, I didn’t care for it. I’m a blue jeans and t-shirt kind of person. So instead, I went “condo/hotel” shopping for my mini-vacation. :slight_smile:

Sometimes I go horse shopping on the internet. That’s certainly entertaining!

(Laurie) #23

Don’t worry, I hate clothes shopping too! Especially when I have to try things on. Never understood how that could be someone’s idea of a good time.

(Thurston ) #24

We’re over in Wilmington. We left NY to get away from winter… I told my wife it wasn’t far enough south. 74,00 to where? The bottom of FL?

(Cindy) #25

St Petersburg or Tampa airport. :slight_smile:

(Cindy) #26

Wilmington…what state?

(Thurston ) #27

The top Carolina…

(Frank) #28

If you do not consider your husband a friend I’d highly suggest you seek marriage counseling. Just a thought.

(Teri) #29

I’d just go for it. I’ve moved around a lot, and traveled a lot, on my own. It can sometimes be even better because who makes a better companion than yourself? You can eat where you want, stay where you want, go where you want. No rules. Just you and your adventures and experiences. And yes, sharing those with someone else is important, but use this as a time to get to know yourself again, and what you want now and for the future. It may surprise you just how calming it can be to be alone with yourself for awhile. Cheaper too, btw. Don’t know if that’s even a factor, but it is a fact.

(Teri) #30

:clap: yes it does. I live across the country from my family (I’m in CA, they are in VA) so I always fly to see them. All together it ends up being about an 8 hour trip with a layover in Atlanta. I despise Atlanta just because of their insane airport.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #31

Go and get some beach time. If that’s what you need to feel good, then go do it :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

This is a great non-scale victory! I too love being able to get up and down without having to plan my strategy! :bacon::bacon:

(Cindy) #33

Frank, my husband is my partner, but he’s not good travel buddy. And as for being a friend…we love each other, but have very different interests. We’re not the type of couple that does everything together, or have long conversations about random stuff, etc. So in that sense, no, he’s not my friend. We’ve been married 28 yrs though and plan to be married another 28, so a marriage counselor isn’t needed.

(Cindy) #34

Teri, this past year has been a lot of contemplation and “what next” type thoughts. We homeschooled (unschooled, to be exact) our 2 boys, so it meant they were home with me most of the time. Sure, they went on camping trips, had jobs when they got older, etc, but at night, they were usually home for bed. I’ve never considered myself a “needy” parent LOL, but now that they’re on their own, I need to figure out what my next focus will be…and that’s NOT easy. I never figured it out when I was younger, either…until I became a mom and then I was like “Oh, so this is what I’m supposed to do for a while.”

(Cindy) #35

It’s crazy how emotions are so wrapped up with eating (or at least for me they are). Today was a rough day of chemo treatment with my mom. She’s starting a clinical trial. That part’s ok. It’s when I see her having trouble walking, having trouble hearing (and she doesn’t want to get a hearing aid while she’s dealing with the cancer…I think she thinks there’s no use in it), getting easily confused, etc. She had NONE of those problems in June of this year, so it’s been a rapid decline due to cancer and chemo.

So I tried fixing some eggs and bacon for dinner. Burnt the bacon. I was being ambitious and fixed 3 eggs. Maybe ate 1. But I’m not much interested in healthy food…just want to break out the dark toffee in the freezer or make a homemade sweet. I’m not going to do it because feeling fatter certainly won’t fix the sadness.

I hate whining. I’m pretty much the strong one in the family, so don’t really have anyone’s shoulder to cry on…and it’s been a [spoiler]fucking[/spoiler] horrible day.

:hugs::hugs::hugs: Have some hugs Cindy :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

(Diana ) #37

I think I understand about not really having any friends. Once I quit work, I kind of drifted away from work friends. I’m not a gregarious person, so it is hard for me to insert myself into a pre-formed group. I did join an exercise group, which morphed into a yoga group, and I do consider these ladies friends, but I don’t even know some of their last names, so it’s not the kind of friendship you have all through school, etc.
Cindy, please come to this group and allow us to be your sounding board occasionally. Lots of ladies (and men) here who can lend an ear. Hugs to you and your mom.

(Running from stupidity) #38

Heh, the last time I saw anyone from school was the last time I was at school :slight_smile:

(Cindy) #39

Thanks, Diana! I was in a tailspin when my mom was first diagnosed, but then, as she went through chemo and radiation, she was doing pretty well…so it kind of become the new “norm.” She just hasn’t recovered from her last round of chemo and it’s been a while…so seeing her start another round of chemo is hard. I feel like, in some ways, I’ve already lost her. :frowning: