No more weighing

(Chuck) #23

I don’t eat until I am stuffed anymore, that was when I was eating high carbs. But I do eat to be satisfied, and I do eat during my eating time of day when I feel the need. But I do intermittent fast for at least 16, hours each day. I even did it when eating high carbs. I believe that something I learned and did while working on the farm and even when I was Navy after boot camp. And my work life I seldom ate breakfast or at least before lunch break. Calorie wish my calories are just guesstimates, I don’t measure anything but I am fairly good at determining weights and measurements. I have never been someone that enjoyed lots of sweets but I know I am addicted to sugar because after the first bite I can’t stop until any thing with sugar is totally gone and out of my sight. Then I can go back to not eating it, but one bite and I am addicted again.

(Robin) #24

Same here. One bite. Kill the bag.

Wohoo! Back from the farm where I bought my first 1l bottle of raw milk today from their free range herd of cows. And bought some free range eggs from them too. Couldn’t believe their prices, £1.30 for the milk and £1.20 for their eggs. Will be buying from the farm regularly for sure. I had just a small glass of the raw milk and it was oh so sweet, but that’s how food begins to taste I suppose when you’ve given up all carbs and sugar. So it’ll be a nice, daily dessert with hopefully some benefits.

Reading this and many other comments of you, yes, you seem to eat fine. Of course I don’t know how much you eat and how much you need but no, I don’t think I talked about you either :wink: You focus on your body too well to starve even low-key as far as I can tell. Good. But talking about coldness and keto, I can’t not think about people who do undereat, it happens and it’s not good, no matter how satiated they feel.

Today I ate until I wasn’t so very hungry anymore. I am still hungry but well, I had 170g protein for lunch, it should be enough, it’s already way more than planned… My fat intake is low but not very, very much, we will see.
Sometimes I stuff myself, really, I eat until I can’t and it’s 1000 kcal (a quite small first meal in my world). Rare but happens. And I get hungry in one hour again as I can’t handle small meals.
I would like a tad more consistency but I have more than some others so I don’t complain. Much.

Yay for raw milk! :smiley: I will get some too soon. Milk truck day is the same as my SO’s egg day and he can’t bring home both but I will go as well, it’s a lovely walk through the wildlife forest, twice, what not to like in lovely spring weather? We bring our own milk bottle to fill :slight_smile: It’s way cheaper than yours, way cheaper than supermarket milk on sale… Don’t know much about the cows but it’s tasty stuff and we buy it directly, it’s something… Hopefully they can graze, there are so many grazing cows around here, lots of lovely small hills, I just don’t know where to buy their products :frowning: I can be sure only about 2 farms, a beef and a pig one, I get some fresh meat from the latter on Friday!
I am drinking goat milk now. Fun here and there but the neutral cow milk is better for most dishes.

You surely read it from me as I say it many time but cutting out added sugar alone does the trick. Carnivore made it deeper for me though but it’s a small change compared to cutting out sugar. I went low-carb too but my other family members didn’t and still had the same sweetness perception changes, it’s interesting. High-carb with lots of sweets and fruits, raisins galore - still, my SO feels things as sweet as I did on my original keto. I don’t know WHY. He still eats lots of sugar! Oh well, I was glad I could make sweets for both of us and even for his Mom and everyone feels it just right. Now my desserts are rarely sweetened but that’s another story.
Milk with lactase is even sweeter but normal milk is sweet too, indeed.

(Robin) #27

Very cool! Who knew it would be sweet?!

Hi Robin, the milk was very, very sweet indeed, but maybe that’s just me, also creamier than normal milk. But I haven’t drank normal pasteurised milk for many years as it would make me ill. Feel fine after drinking raw milk. Very nice it was, and certainly rich. Was met at the farm by the farmer, a lady. Don’t know if she alone runs the farm. Very trusting. I got to go grab myself a milk bottle from the fridge in some shed, and then went into another shed where there was a money box marked milk and eggs to pay into. Bought eggs from her as well. She sold some homemade cakes, but I had of course no interest in them, but I know my SO would like them. A pity she didn’t sell raw cheese and butter as well. Perhaps she’ll think of doing that in the future.

It has a quite high percentage of sugar content (from my current viewpoint, at least ;)) so it actually isn’t THAT surprising…
But lactose isn’t nearly as sweet as glucose, for example.And we need to change first. I surely felt the subtle sweetness in milk all my life but it was so very subtle before that I never would have call it sweet! Now I get surprised almost every time as it’s nothing like I perceived it in the times when I actually drank it very, very regularly… 1 liter milk with several slices of bread with butter or some other fat was part of my big summer late breakfasts sometimes. I liked milk. I still do.

Normal for farm milk… The raw milk I ever bought usually wasn’t from farms but still, they weren’t robbed of their normal fat content (or just a tad. surely they kept some for making other stuff like sour cream. the milk truck doesn’t sell cream, maybe they don’t do it? only sour cream, milk, yogurt…).
I wonder how much fat the milk truck milk has… The thing I used to buy ages ago was allegedly 5%. The highest I can get in the supermarket is 3.6%. The goat milk I just finished was 3.7%, quite rich! It’s enough for me.

Oh honor system! :smiley: The beef farm not too far away has a fridge with a notebook, a pen and a money box next to it. No one is around. We get out the smoked meat, cheese or whatever, write down what we took out and put the money in the box. We were pretty surprised to see it in this country… Even if this area isn’t as bad as many others…

(Chuck) #30

Yes raw milk is wonderful, and growing up on the farm I learned to be able to know by the taste of the milk what the cows were eating. And different breeds of cows have different tasting milk.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Mom said there was one corner of the pasture they had to keep the cows out of, because the scallions there made the milk taste strange, lol!

(Rossi Luo) #32

You look great! My body shape is like you too, and all my friends say that I look great, I weigh almost everyday, but I will continue doing that, because my purpose is to reverse my fatty liver, there is not other alternative easy way to know if my liver fat is burning than weighing.

I have read turkey meat can show the food of the turkey too, in extreme cases. The author of a cookbook waxed poetic about his Mom’s turkey fattened with walnuts in the end… Had a bad example too but forgot what plant was used there.

I only drank raw milk several but not very many times in my life, I just felt the milk is very good. I like pasteurized milk too but raw milk is another level. Once I drank fresh, foamy, still warm milk, the neighbour had animals and their products were the best… That pork was something irresistible and I was really determined to be a vegetarian. But I failed after 3 days. It was the right decision :slight_smile:
(I was a vegetarian for the next 8 years and barely had any meat for some more decades, we only got those sausages once and I felt not home-raised pork tasteless back then. not like I tried them often, sometimes they were in the only available food somewhere and it was meh. I don’t even know what changed as I find supermarket pork very often irresistible and very tasty now).

I had a nice childhood, mostly.

(Luke) #34

Hi everyone. I still weigh once per week although I’m not fixated on what I weigh. I think it’s good feed back for your health in general , I’m not sure why the scales are so Taboo? You see it a lot on here to not weigh yourself. I think it’s handy to know your weight as well as the rest of it , cloths fitting ect.

But why, my weight has about nothing to do with my health… (As it’s never super far from normal.)
Slimming down doesn’t necessarily mean our health goes to the right direction.

I think the don’t weigh thing is because many people get obsessed, depressed when they see a raise or lack of loss… Some really have an unhealthy relationship with the scale.
People like me totally may weigh every day twice if they fancy it as it doesn’t cause problems :smiley: It makes no sense but there are worse hobbies.
And weight isn’t really important… So being focused on it may not be a healthy thing for everyone. Sometimes one has a good reason to weigh less especially that many people can’t lose fat without losing noticeable weight at the same time…
But it’s individual. Everyone should do what suits them. My SO weigh himself randomly, at very different points of the day. I do the same as I don’t remember weighing myself in the morning. As we know what we are doing and how informative the number is, it’s fine.

You only get twisted up if you don’t take that number in context, the point is to watch the trendline, which (does) matter, but without the daily data, there’s no trend, only snapshots which are useless.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37
  1. A lot of people are so fixated on the number on their scale that they overlook all the other signs of progress they are making.

2. What we want to lose is fat, not weight. If done wrongly, weight loss can involve the loss of muscle, which is not good.

3. A ketogenic diet is a weight-normalisation diet, not a weight-loss diet. Some people put on lean mass while shedding excess fat. This makes it appear as though they are not making progress, and it’s why we tell people to use the fit of their clothing as an additional indicator of progress, not just the scale.

4. Weight loss is not a linear process. You can have a lower number one day, but a higher number the next, even while still losing fat. This drives some people crazy, and they don’t always believe us when we tell them this is normal, and that if the overall trend is downward, such glitches are meaningless.

5. The number on the scale can refuse to go down for days or weeks at a time, and this also freaks people out. Again, they don’t always believe us when we tell them that a stall is when the number stays the same for months, not a few weeks.

So can you see why we might discourage people from worrying about their weight?

Also, I had to get rid of the scale I had when I started keto. The problem with it was that, not only did it tell me I weighed 40 lbs./18 kg less than I did, but also I could weigh myself five or six times in a row and get five or six wildly different weights. The number I got also depended on how I stood on the scale, and I could manipulate the readings over a 60 lb./27 kg range.

Hi Luke, I suppose I stopped weighing because all you ever get are fluctuations, what I ate that day, how much water I drank, how much water in the body, and I do think weight has very little in my case to do with progress. If I get too thin or my family comments I look too thin or have lost noticable weight, I would probably weigh myself to keep an eye on it. Weight loss isn’t always good. Last I checked I was 52kg, I’m 5.2, but I’ve been slimming down or streamlining, but I don’t look unhealthy or emaciated. I am toying with the idea now of testing my insulin sensitivity by adding some small amount of fruit, as I’ve done well on both the raw honey and raw dairy I incorporated into my WOE. I’ve been doing a ketogenic WOE for 6 months. It’ll be interesting how my body reacts.

(Bob M) #39

It’ll depend. When I got sick, I took some raw honey for its supposed antibiotic and anti-viral properties. I did not notice anything abnormal from a glucose spike perspective (did not test, as I’m sure where was an actual spike). However, I was STARVING not that long after taking honey. It appears you don’t have that problem, so fruit probably wouldn’t be an issue.

I rarely eat fruit, but when I do, I overeat. Always. So I avoid fruit. (And I’ve found it not to be a big deal. I wore a CGM for over a year. In that entire time, I did not have fruit once. I guess I’m one of those who don’t “need” fruit.)

And it’ll also depend on your status prior to eating. I’ve found that I can eat 100 g of rice noodles for my first meal after doing body weight training for 90 minutes. And I keep producing ketones, I think because the carbs have somewhere (muscles) to go.

By the way, I’ve tried eating rice noodles to various amounts after exercise and not eating carbs. It’s quite hard to judge whether carbs provide a benefit. I still haven’t decided.

Hi Bob. To me my raw honey has an opposite effect, I have about quarter of a teaspoon in the morning and it works as an appetite-suppressant, it’s a nice floral and quite potent flavour that leaves the tongue slightly tingly. The fruit I am thinking of incorporating is mango, a quarter of it a day, for its health benefits (skin, eye health, digestion). I feel very lucky that I don’t have any addictions to carbs. However, I’m far from perfect. I tried to give up coffee today and came to the realisation that, as it’s midterm for my boys with plenty activities planned, this is not the time for me to give up caffeine, I do need it, like Dr. Paul Saladino tends to say, like a crutch, and today I’ve walked and felt like a zombie.