No alcohol safe to drink, study confirms

(Allie) #1

I won’t argue that, we ARE poisoning ourselves after all when we drink. Damn good tasting poison!

(Edith) #3

Someone posted this video a while ago. I am reposting it because the scenario seems to relate to research on alcohol as well.

My kids and I refer to this video frequently.

We all appreciated the way our Keto champions pull apart bad science and reassure us that data of a study was falsely manipulated, so to speak.

Wouldn’t it make a great sketch, to see a sort of drinkers equivalent to Ken Berry MD or Phinney and Voltec, pull apart the above study, under the influence of course.

I am sober by the way.

(Maha) #5

I’ve never bought into alcohol being healthy under any circumstances. Every time I hear it, I think, no, it’s not. It’s just something said to make people feel better about being “allowed” to drink “in moderation”. In my very unscientific observations, people who drink, tend to age faster, and I believe it kills off brain cells. Alcohol, like sugar, is a huge industry and they make a boatload of money. Of course they’ll say it’s healthy in moderation. They say the same thing about sugar. BUUUUUUUUT, to each their own. If people want to drink/do drugs/eat sugar, fine, but they should be educated on the truth of the effects and the detrimental effects of their choices.

And this: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/alcohol-studies-showing-benefits-of-drinking-are-flawed-expert-warn-a6945476.html

(Laurie) #6

Yay, I’m a non-drinker and tired of hearing/reading that I’d be better off if I drank X amount of whatever.

(Stephanie ) #7

I’m a drinker, I know it’s not healthy in anyway. But I still like to indulge once or twice a week and of course keeping it keto friendly :wink:

(chad) #8

no one really drinks to be healthy at least no one I know. but I think you can still drink and do keto.

(Daniel) #9

Image result for i'm in danger meme

Well, there are foodie benefits to matching a certain kind of cheesy dish or steak with moderate amounts of the right wine - and perhaps those salutory effects on the palate raise endorphins? The SRIT1 factor, even in minute amounts, may certainly be part of why some traditional mediterranean peoples aged better than those that drank hard alchohol.

The Drs Eades and Phinney & Volek along with Romanian keto researcher Cristi Vlad write of the workable pleasure of moderate/occasional wine w/ certain foods - more as a cuisine/culture thing to make LCHF/keto workable for those who are foodies. Their guidelines are about keeping to 1-2 small glasses of wine with certain foods.

Also of note is Vlad’s adherence to randomness for antifragility - meaning going without wine for weeks at a time, as a mental practice of agility, etc. that also makes it easier for one to go on long retreats or do spiritual fasting. (Also made much easier by simply eating food that doesn’t go well w/ wine - such as spicy Asian/African foods that rely on chilis for palate balancing and digestive benefits).

I just know that red wine goes back thousands of years in mediterranean culture and does in fact help with upset stomach and acts as a sort of solvent with high dairy fat dishes. Modern wine vs. ancient live-fermented wine is its own fascinating subject - they are technically different substances though both alcoholic. Modern digital media culture oten has little interest in such nuances though.

There was another thread on the forum about differences with wine reactions - Reacting Differently to Wine

Alcohol has been shown to be beneficial in many ways: erasing repetitive negative thoughts and clearing your mind at the end of the day, easing anxiety/stress, lowering inhibitions which helps you be more social which is very good for your health.
It does make you do dumb stuff when you’re young like cliff diving, etc. and it’s terrible for your body in excess.
Maybe alcohol in a pill is better like Valium. I know some doctors recommend it over alcohol to relax.

(Brian) #12

The first group of people I thought of when I read the headline was… the French. They seem to be known as pretty healthy people who also like their full fat food and a little wine with their meals.

I dunno, I’m really not a drinker. I’ve probably had a dozen drinks (not even strong ones) in my entire life and probably have had more alcohol in cough syrup than in purposeful drinking.

But it was something I wondered about.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

I love your balanced posts. Always want to give you five stars!

Thank you for your kind words!

(Alec) #15

An epidemiological study… not really that useful. Food/health researchers credibility level? Zero.

I don’t disagree with the conclusion, but I just don’t buy the “research” methodology.