Newbie to the Forum & to Carnivore

(Geezy) #21

@Shinita, I absolutely agree with you.
I’m 67 years old and very out of shape…unless you consider “round” a shape. :laughing:
Since the inflammation has been greatly reduced in my body it has allowed me to get back to exercising so I’m building my body back up. I got pretty flabby in the past ten years or so. I know at my age I can’t expect miracles.
I can feel my body tightening up and my clothes fit much better.
It’s an exciting journey and my wife is starting to come on board after seeing what benefits I’ve received.

You can expect miracles at your age. I am older than you, lost 120 pounds and do not have lose skin or flab. Don’t knock a stall, that’s the time when your body adjusts to the new weight.

(Geezy) #23

@velvet, wow! Very impressive. Thank you very much for the insight and inspiration.

(Alec) #24

I agree with this…all the CW about muscle building is from experience with people eating plants. If you are eating carnivore you can expect to build muscle like a young ‘un! I am late 50s, eating carni, and building muscle better than at any time since I was mid-20s. And from not doing that much work… just decent amount of protein, and doing a bit of weight training. Nothing special.

My view is that it is simply avoiding the body having to deal with the plants…. No plant toxins and the body can focus on building for health rather than defending for health.

Hey Geoffrey. Thanks for checking in. Yeah, I threw it off that night. Had a big day working around the homestead yesterday with a few kilometre soft sand beach walk in the rain in the afternoon because the dog was asking. Busy day today moving furniture etc. The chest pain during the AF is worse since COVID vacc and infection, but the recovery is very quick. It might be the WoE, in terms of the fast recovery. the heart being muscles, and correlating that to fast recovery from muscle soreness after physical activity after changing to very low carb animal-based eating.

(Geezy) #26

@FrankoBear, good to hear.

(Geezy) #27

I never used to read food labels but since starting this lifestyle I have become a voracious label reader.
Wow! I’m beginning to really hate the food industry. The lies. The fillers and my gosh, the freaking SUGAR…it’s in everything!
I even went through my spice cabinet and started reading the labels and most of my spice mixes contained sugar. No wonder we are such an addicted society.
Now when I see an advertisement for some food saying try this or it’s a new version all I hear is “eat more sugar”.
It’s no wonder that there is so much more illness in this world than ever before.

Stay the course and stay healthy my carnivore brothers and sisters.

I am glad I don’t need to read many labels… There are multiple reasons I mostly buy food without them. But the simplicity, knowing that my food has one ingredient… That is nice.

My spice mixes usually only have spices, they are simple things from webshops, not fancy packaged supermarket spice mixes with a lot of other things.
BBQ spices contains sugar sometimes, certain kinds, the most I saw didn’t… But sometimes they are 60% salt so one should be careful and read the labels… I can’t use super salty ones as I can’t get enough flavor without getting too much salt.
I don’t even go near BBQ sauces as they are super sugary. I don’t need sauces anyway or if I do, I make my own. I have home made spice mixes too.
No sugar can get near to my meat with very few exceptions.

By the way, there is worse than some sugar. It’s sugar AND bad tasting sweeteners at the same time. The worst from both worlds, combined! And some items don’t have any other version. Hence I can’t eat pickled herring. I managed to find one without sweetener (it had a little sugar and I dislike that but I didn’t care so much at that point, it was very little) but it wasn’t good quality, the fish just fell apart. It shouldn’t do it just because I don’t eat it quickly (it was unopened, I just stored it), right? A bit sad but I can live without pickled herring, somehow. They have too much vegs anyway. I could handle a bit of onion but not half of the jar :frowning: I just eat smoked mackerel instead, that is even tastier and pure fish! I still find it wrong that I can’t eat some nice pickled herring if I want :frowning: As there is NO nice pickled herring.

(Robin) #29

It’s crazy how nefarious sugar is… it’s lurking on most labels.

On many labels in multiple places, often with different names…
shudder

And it’s just sugar. There are all the mostly unnecessary starches (still not the worst thing to me but I still don’t want them in my meat products), MSG and the chemical things I don’t even know what to think about.

(Geezy) #31

I’ve got a question for y’all but first a little background.
Two days ago I did a little experimentation.
I decided I wanted to indulge myself with some pimento cheese spread. Well the pre made stuff in the store is full of low fat cheese, sugars, seed oils and other junk so I decided to make my own.
It requires mayonnaise but since most mayonnaise contains seed oils I made that too.
Now in both concoctions there are some ingredients that make them non carnivore but I rationalized their use by telling myself that they were such small amounts that it shouldn’t be a problem.
The “bad” ingredients were,
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
In the mayo and then
1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento
1 jalapeno pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon onion powder
In the pimento cheese spread.
The good thing was I used full fat cheddar cheese and duck fat for the oil in the mayo.
All of these ingredients seen small when looked at individually but combined they seem like a lot.
So I ate some of my cheese spread for the last two days and today I was miserable.
I woke up this morning feeling bloated and fat. Don’t get me wrong, I am fat but here lately I’ve been feeling slimmer and more fit but not this morning.
The stiffness and soreness is back in my hands.
My back has been hurting all day. This afternoon my left hip was hurting bad enough to cause me to limp. I do have an artificial hip in there but since starting carnivore it hasn’t bothered me.
I was able to get my two mile walk in today and that made me feel a little better but it didn’t take long and I started aching all over.
And now I have a splitting headache.
So, after that long drawn out preamble.
For those of you who suffered with bad inflammation prior to doing carnivore or Keto, if you ate something that was not carnivore, even just a little bit, did it affect you within just a day or two and did it affect you dramatically?

Regardless, that experiment is over and I’m sticking to hardcore carnivore until further notice.

Sugar in cheese???! :scream:
No matter what kind (I have no idea what pimento cheese is. we have cheese spreads here, well I don’t know much about them either, my cheese spread is cream cheese since I realized one supermarket has that thing. awesome! no other things are needed. I lived without cheese spread since 15+ years I think), it just sounds wrong to me… The hell food industry MUST put sugar into everything including the very animal based things that calls for NONE… :frowning: No, they won’t be tastier, rather the opposite for me (but I fear many people find it tastier with sugar).
Seed oil, oh yes they do that, take away precious milk fat and add some questionable or worse thing to it. Yuck. I don’t buy those things. Oh when I went low-carb, I started to make almost everything all by myself :smiley: Or just stopped eating the stuff if it wasn’t worth the hassle.

I have that too. My body is fine with tiny extras and they don’t trigger anything bad. Usually. I try to avoid the ones that do.

Sorry I don’t know what could be the problem in your case… I can eat almost anything after several carni days without problem and had no inflammation problems. I am very much not sensitive but many especially are. Some people get sick just eating some herbs, it’s crazy!

Too many non-carni items, maybe you could try some alone to figure it out what could be the problem? Or maybe some knowledgeable person will come and find some suspects for inflammation…

(Robin) #33

Do you normally eat much dairy? I have dirt in my heavy whipping cream each day with no issues. But on the rare occasion that I have imbibed (over imbibed) in a bunch of dairy, I feel it in all of joints and need a nap.

Your pimento cheese sounds delish, but if your body is saying Nope, then it’s outta here.

(Geezy) #34

It’s a southern thing in the U.S. (regional) It consists of grated sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimentos (a mild pepper) and generally some added seasoning. In those additives they will sneak in some sugar. Then they also use cheese made from skim milk rather than full fat cheese. It is very tasty and great on crackers but the commercial variations just don’t fit into our lifestyle.

(Geezy) #35

I like dairy very much, especially cheese. I don’t think it affects me much if any at all but after learning about lactose sugars I’ve really backed off of my consumption.
I will only use heavy cream instead of milk for recipes. Cheese must be made with whole milk. Yogurt must also be made with whole milk.
I believe that I am going to abstain from all milk products, seasoning (except for salt) and anything else that isn’t 100% carnivore. After some time I will start introducing things, such as cheese, back into my diet. I’ll do it one item at a time and see how it affects me. But first, I’d like to get to my optimal weight and health.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

That’s an interesting experience; thanks for recounting it.

Some carnivores don’t scruple about spices, although many of those people eventually find themselves discontinuing them, simply because they stop liking them. Others, such as you, apparently, have to avoid all plant-sourced foods for health reasons. We each have to listen to our own body.

I’m not fully carnivore, but I am becoming more and more sensitive to the carbs I do eat, and I apparently have a low threshold. Above that amount, even if it’s still low enough for me to remain in ketosis, I wake up creaky and sore, and my fingers are bloated. I know I’ve really overdone things if my knees start to act up again. It’s a good reason to keep carb intake to the bare minimum.

If I do go carnivore, which is likely, to tell the truth, I will still probably keep coffee in my diet, but we’ll have to see.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

I’m pretty sure I’d have an issue with dirt in my heavy whipping cream, lol! :rofl::rofl:

What do you put it on? I don’t remember seeing you mentioning that…
The first time I bought cream cheese I ended up going off carni to make crunchy things to put it on… It was more like keto, fully plant and even not very low-carb per 100g (though nothing like a normal cracker) but it was just a thin wafer so it gave me very little carbs… :wink: I always liked to put lots of spread on a little thing :wink:

While I eat almost anything alone, fatty spreads aren’t among them.
They can be put on many things on carnivore but cheese spreads immediately scream “crunchy base” to me… And I don’t have many on carnivore and even I don’t put cream cheese on cheese whisps… (I only mix meats and eggs but not cheeses :smiley: I mean, only them. I do mix cheeses when I bake my eggy fluffs).

(Robin) #39

@Geoffrey I have no idea what I even meant to say!
Although I ate dirt as a kid.

(Geezy) #40

I’ve drank coffee most of my life, started at 19. The thought of starting the day without it was just unimaginable.
Then between my heart issues with my cardiologist recommending that I reduce caffeine in my life, and some severe stomach issues, I quit drinking coffee and switched to tea.
Once I started ZC and my stomach issues went away I tried taking up coffee again and found that I had lost the taste for it. So now it’s just plain tea. One cup in the morning and that’s it.
It’s amazing how easy it is to wake up and get going in the morning when eating a proper human diet.