New to Keto and to this forum, actually forums in general!

(Sheranda Key) #21

Thanks! I hate that you have cancer. I met many brave women battling it during my journey. Best of luck to you and your family.

(Sheranda Key) #22

I have several recipes that call for it. The one I tried so far and really liked was flaxseed cinnamon muffin. Tasted great and was very filling. It uses ground flaxseed.

(Linda Hornsby) #23

Ok sorry for my ignorance but you have lost me with those suggestions. :thinking:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

HbA1C is a test that measures how glycated the hemoglobin is in your red blood cells. Since the red corpuscles generally live for about 90 days, the reading can be taken as a kind of rolling 3-month average of your serum glucose levels. A reading above a certain level indicates pre-diabetes or diabetes.

A lipid panel measures your cholesterol and triglycerides—basically how much of what is riding around inside which lipoproteins. Dave Feldman has some very good basic information about how the human body manages fats on his Web site, https://www.cholesterolcode.com. Ivor Cummins also has some fascinating information on the topic at https://thefatemperor.com/.

You might, as @KetoCancerMom suggests, want to get readings now, so as to have them to compare to in three and six months’ time.

(Sheranda Key) #25

The recipes use ground flaxseed as a replacement grain for baking. From what I gathered on a search on line was that it has a sticky characteristic that other seeds and nuts don’t. I got so overwhelmed trying to get through all the info that I just gave up. I found this forum and was hoping some of the more seasoned members had some info for me.

(Scott) #26

Okay, that makes sense. I was picturing eating a handful or putting them on a salad.

(Cathy) #27

Welcome! Sorry you have to deal with cancer but keto is an excellent choice going forward. In respect to flaxseed - I quit using it years ago and rarely come across some reason to consider it’s use. Way better cooking results with almond flour, coconut flour, phsyllium husk powder, gluccomannan powder, oat fiber etc… If you like the look of flaxseed in a recipe, use some chopped pecans or almonds.

(Sheranda Key) #28

Thanks! I agree with you on Keto being an awesome lifestyle for me after my cancer. I want my body to be as cancer resistant as possible from now on. I really appreciate your help with substitutions ideas. I have never eaten any of these before, much less cooked with them.

(Cathy) #29

If you haven’t come across the diet doctor web site, I suggest you look at it. A really great resource for so many things keto. Here is a link to their best ‘bread’ recipes…

(Sheranda Key) #30

Thanks! I’m grateful for this and any other nuggets of info anyone has. I’ll definitely check it out.

(Sheranda Key) #31

I want to say thank you to all of y’all for your suggestions, links and especially y’alls support! I initially stopped losing weight and have now gained a little over a pound. Also, my husband who had hit a plateau has started to lose weight again. Thanks keto buddies!

(Helen Taylor) #32

I’m new to this diet and to be truthful, the fat amount other seem to manage is what I’m struggling with - I just don’t enjoy a muffin with bacon and smothered in melted cheese and never will.

I had almonds for breakfast, skins on, and two small decaf coffees with full cream. Lunch was a chicken breast, two beef only kebabs all fried in olive oil, and half an avo, plus some lettuce and two cherry tomatoes also smothered in olive oil. Later I’ll have a mug of bullion (marigold organic veg stock - naff all carbs in it) and after, when my stomach folds at about half 8, five pork scratchings and a mug of coffee with semi-skimmed milk in. I can’t stand full fat milk - at school as a very little girl we had to drink a 1/3 of a full fat pint through a thick straw, and it had been left outside in the sun since six am till lunch time. I’ve not been able to have full fat milk since, which is a shame since I grew up with very local super fatted gold top milk.

I once tried bulletproof coffee and, well, no.

So I’m really enjoying the veg, we eat veggie a lot anyway, so all I’m doing is adding a lot of avo and olive oil, and more cheese than I used to. I just don’t have the starch the two 15 year old girls I share my life with eat. And creamed cabbage/kale/spring greens are sublime!

Also I roast kale, but toss it first in olive oil and sprinkle it with ras el hanout. Avos are contentious because we don’t grow them here - they’re all imported so expensive and bad for sustainability. I grow a lot of top veg at home.

I get recipes off the mud&love blog and also diet doctor. The keto buns are brilliant!

Oh and I’ve lost weight in four days. Might well be water but my trousers fit better. I’m happy! And very happy on the diet. Just am struggling with the amount of meat but that’ll sort itself out when I work out how to balance my kids needs and mine and not do more cooking!

(Sheranda Key) #33

I found it easiest to use an app that calculates the macros of the food that I am eating. It keeps up with my daily intake and my goal macros. There are several on the Play Store.