New study says you will get cancer with one slice of bacon

calories

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

He’s the same guy who tried to eat “just one” Lay’s Potato Chip.

(Bunny) #15

That’s like Cheetos you just can’t eat one!

(Scott) #16

I can, I have never liked Cheetos for some reason.

('Jackie P') #17

Never had a cheeto and I don’t suppose I ever will😊

“New study says you will get cancer with one slice of bacon”

Meanwhile @PaulL just chilling.

(Bunny) #19

Always remember:

“…Just 76 grams of red meat each day can increase the risk of bowel cancer by 20 percent,…” …More

(Mame) #20

I had no idea of the ‘why’ behind milk thistle being good for one’s liver. Thanks for this info.

(Scott) #21

Dead man walking!

(Maria Ortiz) #22

Lmao. I wish people would focus on the real problem, which are the nitrates added to most bacon and not the meat itself.

(Alec) #23

More like dead man eating bacon.

This is such a gross oversimplification. The problem is many people have insulin resistant lean tissues and insulin sensitive fat. They eat and eat and the lean can’t take it up, so it gets shuttled to the fat cells. Finally when the fat cells get full enough they are about to burst, they finally start making superoxide and stop storing fat. Then the ectopic fat storage starts, macrophages move in to clear it up, they turn into foam cells, and things start sounding familiar.

What you want is lean to take up the nutrition, and fat cells to reject it. This is part of the reason keto works so well. A low carb high fat diet helps this in large part through increasing superoxide in fat cells. Superoxide is your friend, just like nitric oxide is your friend. Suppressing oxidative signaling is probably the reason high doses of antioxidants tend to shorten lifespan of laboratory animals instead of prolong them. The free radical theory of aging has really been falling apart in recent years. Anyway I’m drifting even further off topic.

This video is a good primer on why superoxide is our friend and why saturated fat is better than PUFA.

For all you “show me the science” types, the hyperlipid blog he mentions is an absolute goldmine. When I first found it, reading it occupied all of my free time for almost a week.

Sorry about the hijack, but I had to say something.

(Carl Keller) #25
  • Vegetables are actually the biggest dietary source of nitrates… by far. The amount you get from processed meat is small compared to vegetables (7).*

Apparently broccoli is more dangerous than bacon if nitrates are cancerous. I will take my chances with bacon. :smiley:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-nitrates-and-nitrites-harmful#section2

(Windmill Tilter) #26

New study says you will get cancer with one slice of bacon

That settles it. I’m done slicing bacon. From now on, I’m just going to eat it in a single 1lb slab like a sandwich.

Get a brisket or some beef navel and make some beef bacon. It’s been on my list of projects for a long time, but since I share a fridge, it isn’t really in the cards.

(Bunny) #29

High dosing with antioxidants with low glutathione and selenium can cause one to lose their liver so their must be balance between free radicals, oxidative stress (hormesis) and antioxidants but you definitely do not want to be deficient in glutathione at any point in time or selenium for that matter on a ketogenic diet?.

(adssadadf) #30

That seems fake to me.

What seems fake to you?

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #32

:joy: haha oh funny. Guess we are all screwed.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #33

I got this in my daily news email from my employer (a well known health insurance company). When I saw the headline I said to myself, looks like BS, smells like BS, and I deleted it. I wondered if I’d see the report on here.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #34

I guess I’m definitely in trouble because I love both :heart: