New Guy Here - 2 months Keto, still learning

(Marianne) #5

Congratulations on your progress! You must feel so much better!

Try dietdoctor.com. They are a non-profit organization out of Scandinavia, I believe. I especially love their “success stories” and also the videos that explain a lot of the science around keto. You get get a 30-day free trial that gives you access to all content and cancel it before it runs up. No strings - they won’t send you any solicitations or annoying emails.

Good luck!

(Laurie) #6

Welcome, and congratulations on your progress! I’m in Canada. I get support and info wherever I can find it.

I have more trouble with the shocked looks and discouraging words of individuals. I’ve learned how to avoid or divert such conversations. Others prefer to evangelize for keto.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #7

Thanks for the replies. All really encouraging.
I’m really pleased to be here. My family are sceptics with is odd because they can see the results for themselves!
I’m off to check the leads you’ve given me. Regards :slight_smile:
Oh btw … I feel amazing!

Plenty?

Where has everyone went?

(Allie) #9

Plenty of UK keto folk, didn’t say here but know there several here too.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #10

So are we mainly US, Canada, UK and … any others?

I’m UK. Bound to be more of our Atlanic cousins though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Aussies and New Zealanders, people from various locations in Europe and Arabia, a few South Africans.

This is an old thread, but it would be nice to see revived:

(Rossi Luo) #13

I’m from far east - China :sweat_smile:, most people believe that vegetables make people healthy for too long, especially the people here. When people here see a very fat monk (monk doesn’t eat any animal product, that’s their religious rules), the people might say that the monk must have broken the rules. But now, I know that, he doesn’t!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #14

haha Luo … they say if you don’t smoke, don’t drink and don’t eat meat, you don’t live longer … it just feels that way :joy:

Oh my, what a weird and wrong logic!

Nice to see where people are from :slight_smile:
I am from Hungary :hungary: :pig2:
(The pig is the highly popular food, not me. I am not as obese as too many people in my country though I definitely could lose 20kg but it just never happens. Our pigs are quite fatty especially Mangalica.)

(Marianne) #16

Ha! Unfortunately, that’s no surprise. My family thinks I am slowly killing myself. This is in spite of the fact that almost all of them have metabolic syndrome and are prediabetic/overweight. The only way they know to change it is through a diet based on deprivation and exercise which isn’t worth it to them at this stage of the game.

(Bob M) #17

Very nice to see someone from China. Do the monks drink beer? And are there many you know who are keto?

And don’t worry – I live in the US, and don’t physically meet anyone who is keto.

(Rossi Luo) #18

Thanks, nice to see you too!

No, monks don’t drink any alcohol.
No, there is not anyone I know are keto, but one of my friends plan to start keto after see my achievement. But I can see some people on Chinese Tiktok introducing keto.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #19

I used to Love rice and noodles. Keto Must seem crazy for Chinese people … or Japanese, Thai, Indian …well everyone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hungarians (at least many) tend to eat bread with nearly EVERYTHING. Even with dishes based on starch, I don’t get it but well, we have pasta with potato, it has little else and it’s a very traditional dish, we got it for lunch at school a lot, it’s surprisingly good (well potato is very tasty and the dish had a little fat and paprika so what not to like…? another traditional potato dish has dumplings too, only the ratios, the parsley and the water content is different when we make that dish without meat. as that is optional.).
And we have tons of tempting pastries and other baked goods. They were responsible for my wild high-carb days during my low-carb years (before keto. low-carb but not enough for ketosis, far from it). It was very rare but I went crazy… So many people here bake well, hospitality and focus on food at gatherings is very big here. Surely these things happen elsewhere too but some countries do it even more than the average. And it’s hard to beat us when it comes to booze…

I barely ever saw anything keto here. There was a site and some people try it out… But it’s rare, people rather do paleo here (we have many vegetarians too, I was one as well though far from the typical one as I ate very much animal products and as much or maybe a bit more fat than the average person. I suppose the average vegetarian eats less fat than that and it may be good as they don’t overeat so easily… the average one eats very much fat AND carbs and they just don’t have the energy need for it, hence obesity and other problems) and it’s good as I could easily buy low-carbs stuff I could use on my vegetarian keto. Carnivore is obviously way easier, I buy meat, eggs, dairy and I am pretty much set :slight_smile:
At least meat is a big thing even here. There are harder countries to spread meat-based keto. And it’s allegedly hard to do it vegetarian. I haven’t noticed but I loved eggs and now, in retrospect… Yes, I wouldn’t wanna give up the carni simplicity… I have complicating tendencies but that’s hobby and my choice for the day. I don’t NEED to do it if I really don’t want to. Usually. Not anymore, I can eat enough meat now.

I will try to behave in the future. But it’s such an interesting topic…

(Bob M) #21

Interesting. Back when I was drinking beer, some of my favorite beers where brewed by monks. In particular, Chimay and Orval from this list:

Hopefully you can convert more folks to keto or at least low carb or even more meat/whole foods. Though I have had no luck doing that.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #22

I’ve had no luck doing that either. Just shows how powerful the darkside is! It’s very had to convince people when they’ve been told how healthy brown rice and pasta and whole foods are.
We are up against very well meaning health professionals … sadly many of whom don’t have a clue.
Dr David Unwin is a brave man.

(Rossi Luo) #23

After seeing your post, I Baidued (Chinese google) if monks are allowed to have alcohol. It’s interesting that, there are two answers:

1. Monks are not allowed to have alcohol. (refer < 梵网经菩萨戒>, it’s a book of monks, written around 2400 years ago and translated to Chinese from India or somewhere else?)
  2. Monks are allowed to have alcohol. But only the alcohol not strong, it’s so called 素酒 (maybe translated to Vegetarian Alcohol Drinks).

It’s complicated, but in most common Chinese people’s view, monks are not allowed to have alcohol.

(Rossi Luo) #24

Yes, it is, I can’t even persuade my mom to believe Keto to treat her diabetics. Like the people else where, we believe vegetables, fruits and plant-based food are good for health…