"My pancreas has carked it - I'm a diabetic for life"

(icky) #21

Here you go…

“In 2015, Diabetes.co.uk launched the Low Carb Program which has helped thousands of people with type 2 diabetes to improve their diabetes control and reduce their dependency on diabetes medication.”

(icky) #22

(Brian) #23

She might be opposed to “keto” but maybe she’d at least consider “low carb”. Whether she ever would get to ketosis or not, low carb could be a really good thing, whether she’s T1 or T2. I wonder if she’d be able to even consider something like intermittent fasting. (?)

Sometimes people can heal over time. Sometimes they never do recover. It’s not something any of us could say. It would be a shame if your friend wouldn’t even try since it sounds like there still may be potential to make for a better life.

(icky) #24

“The diet helps to lower the body’s demand for insulin which has benefits for people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.”

(icky) #25

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/is-the-ketogenic-diet-safe-for-people-with-diabetes/

(Nicola Hensler) #26

This is exactly my experience. Thank you! I just can’t compete the the medical experts and the response to my own progress with weight loss is generally “Yes but you’re just lucky and can do that because you don’t have diabetes. I can’t do that. My doctor said”. Full stop. The end.

(Nicola Hensler) #27

“But I gotta live… it’s worth it to have that amazing chocolate lava cake”.

I don’t think there’s really an answer to my issue of watching friends around me. I think hundreds of us have the same issue with friends and family. Doesn’t make it any easier though. I think you’re right about convincing others not already medicated. Those people are likely far less overwhelmed with the daily issue of their health and far more open to options rather than simply a treatment.

(Nicola Hensler) #28

That’s just too sad for words.

(karen) #29

I would think that the less excess glucose the body has to metabolize, the less insulin it needs. If the pancreas isn’t making insulin, wouldn’t a ketogenic diet still be a huge benefit, even if some supplemental insulin were still necessary?

(Alec) #30

Nicky
I have had the same experience, but maybe not as close. I have had 2 or 3 people who I know have T2D, I am close enough to them to ask and suggest keto, and the response was the same as you got. It just seems that in general people trust their doctors and the official advice, even if it looks bleak and the results are poor.

I have to say, I am not surprised, and I don’t blame them. When you are facing something this important, if I was not following keto for other reasons (weight loss), I am not sure I would follow this crazy diet that is at odds with what all the experts tell us we should eat.

My approach with people is to suggest research on low carb and keto, and let them make their own mind up. I don’t think you can do much else: pressing people on the issue would be counterproductive in my view.

Good luck with your friend.

(Alec) #31

Alas, that sounds like an addiction to me. If anyone is facing a chronic long term medical emergency like either form of diabetes, preferring eating cake to fixing the problem is I fear a sign of a serious addiction.

(Jane) #32

My dear friend and neighbor is T2D and is on the verge of going from Metformin to insulin shots and it is scaring the hell out of her.

Her own son is now following a “ketogenic” diet. She has seen my own results and mine was only for weight loss - not diabetes - although I bet it was in my future if I had not found keto.

But she is addicted to sugar and cannot imagine a world w/o bread at every meal and dessert at every dinner.

And she thinks her doctor has Godlike powers over her
~le sigh~

(Doug) #33

Ouch, Jane, that’s a significant addiction. I hope she gives keto a try - plenty of good foods and staying away from insulin injections would be a substantial incentive.

(Randy) #34

I also have several people in my life who claim “I could never give up my sugar.” I’m also lucky that I’m not T2D. But my big weight loss, and the fact both of my brothers have reversed their T2D have had no effect on them. :frowning_face:

(Nicola Hensler) #35

I think you’re 1000% right and I don’t think I can do much else except take care of myself and the friendship. Her choices will always remain her own.

(Raj Seth) #36

If she has indeed become a T1 diabetic, Keto will still help her minimize further insulin damage. Lots of resources on that right here and on recent 2KD podcasts

(Doug) #37

Very good point, Rajseth. One characteristic of long-surviving Type 1 Diabetics is having relatively low insulin dosages, and eating very low carbohydrates certainly works toward that. The importance of low insulin outweighs the strictest blood sugar control, even.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

This is the testimony of people on the Low Carb Down Under channel on YouTube, such as Dr. Troy Stapleton, who developed type I diabetes at age 40. You still need the base dose, apparently, but no longer need the extra insulin before meals.

(KCKO, KCFO) #39

Give her a copy of Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. He is a type 1 diabetic, who went looking for answers and ended up going to med school. Has worked with thousands of patients, both T1 and T2. His is a low carb approach, if T1, insulin is going to be in the picture but in far less quantities than even T2 patients take under the ADA guidelines. He also has some youtube videos up. He is now in his 80s still practices medicine and does research.

Also if your friends are not willing to help themselves, it is not your fault and probably NOTHING you say will get through to them. I know how hard it is to witness self destructive behavior, I have had to do that many times. But in the end, you can only lead a horse to the water, the horse has to want to drink it.

Take care of yourself, help others when they are open to it and just get on with life.

(Jane) #40

Some people are as addicted to sugar as others are to alcohol and cigarettes and even when the physical damage of their choices are evident… they may still choose their addictions.

I watched my own Mom decline to the point of being on oxygen and sometimes gasping for breath. And still she smoked… I did what I could for her but the choice was ultimately hers…