My First Ketone Test

(J) #14

Let me just say many thanks to each of you for your time, care, and responses.

(UsedToBeT2D) #15

KCKO. Your on the right track IMHO.

(J) #16

Thank you. Please forgive me, but I don’t know what KCKO means.

(Butter Withaspoon) #17

KCKO = Keep Calm and Keto On!
It’s our motto.
Not to be confused with
Keeping Carbs is Keeping Obesity (which I just made up)
Or Kale-Chocolate is Keto Overreach

I’m impressed with your progress, feeling pretty good and gradually feeling better, well done you! Your body deciding to use up some fat stores shows you’ve changed your hormonal signalling.
So KCKO :grin:

(J) #19

Kickin’ Carbs in Ketone Order?

Thanks for the response.

So, what’s the gap between this intial Ketosis and becoming “Fat Adapted”?

(Butter Withaspoon) #20

Time wise, there are changes in the first 2 weeks, then probably more adaptation by 6weeks or 3 months. It depends on the individual. Some athletes, who push their bodies to a limit of performance, speak of performance improvements over 6 months.

In a practical sense, perhaps the next adaptation to look forward to is blood ketones dropping as the body gets better at utilising them. Other changes can be a feeling of brain calm and clarity and an inner supply of energy that doesn’t run out, even when there isn’t access to food. Everyone’s journey is different

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

No, and SGLT-2 inhibitor is for cholesterol, not blood pressure.

(J) #22

Thank you, Paul. This helps allay some of my reticence. I am curious how long I should be experiencing this brain fog which has accompanied much of last week and this week. I have begun purposely increasing salt intake, as well as an electrolyte supplement.

I don’t think a lot of information is available on what should be “normal” for someone on keto. Especially when different situations of type 2 exist.

As was mentioned on another thread, I’ve seen online discussions of people having blood sugars in the 30’s and 40’s, with no ill effect. Check out the Cahill reference later in the thread. Also, someone mentioned they’ve seen reading in the 30’s when people have fasted for days (presumably already on a keto diet).

Is there another way for glucose to show up other than eating carbs or Gluconeogenesis?

In any case, I believe hypoglycemia should be defined by symptoms instead of a blood sugar reading, or at least the blood sugar reading has to be interpreted differently under different dietary conditions.

I’m a T2D that’s been on keto for over 5 years, with varying strictness. I have seen blood sugar reading under 100. Probably the lowest was 83. Last fall, my A1c was 4.8.

(Joey) #24

@jh5899 Coming back to this thread, I see you’re getting plenty of good input from many others, so I’ll simply wish you the best as you continue on this great change in health.

Please keep us posted with your progress! :vulcan_salute:

(J) #25

Update: Things seem to balancing out. My reading 2hrs post meal was 78 mg/dl glucose, 2.3 ketones, with 1.8 GKI.

(Jane) #26

:laughing:

(Joey) #27

Excellent. Thanks for the update :+1:

(Bob M) #28

My guess: this person’s pancreas is overreacting and that’s what’s causing low glucose. A 2 hour Kraft test would be nice to see. I expect blood glucose to stay low, which insulin shoots really high. My best guess, anyway.

Another possibility: something is wrong with glucagon (which counteracts insulin to raise blood glucose). I think the high insulin level would be indicative of this though.

Makes me wonder: should a Kraft test include glucagon?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

I started to object to this at first, then as I thought it over, I realised that, given that he’s been diagnosed as a Type II diabetic, it is inevitable that he is insulin-resistant, so of course his pancreas is overreacting. Duh!

In my defense I’ve only had two or three cups of coffee so far today. I’m busy remedying that, even as I type.

(J) #30

Any idea on how long these higher ketone levels remain before leveling out a little? I just checked again and had a .7 GKI (76 mg/dl, 5.6 ketones). After a certain point, I don’t really plan on monitoring these things much, because it seems I can now discern ketosis by how I’m feeling (or is that not a good measurement by which to go?).

(Bob M) #31

That is a good measurement, at least in the beginning and for some people.

I didn’t start testing until several years into keto, and had 1-3 for high during normal (no long term fasting) times. I don’t know what my levels were before then, however.

(Bob M) #32

Paul, at least 1% of the time or so, I’m correct! :wink:

(Jane) #33

I didn’t get a meter until I was 6 months into keto, so no idea what my ketones were when I started out. I only saw those kinds of numbers after fasting for 3 days. You probably will see the ketone numbers go down over time and that is normal - nothing to be concerned about.

Your glucose numbers look great - you doc should be very pleased with your next a1c in a coupld of months.

Also - my KetoMojo meter is obsolete and I can’t get test strips for it anymore. The company offered a trade-in but I haven’t bothered as I don’t test anymore. I am in my 4th year of keto.

(Bob M) #34

And I started testing when the strips were $5/each. Had to go to Ebay to get them near $3/each. At least they’re $1/each now.

Though like Janie, I have an older Keto Mojo that they no longer support.