Metoprolol or beta blockers on keto

(KM) #21

No one should be on Weight Watchers. I’d assume these doctors don’t really know much of anything but marketing hype when it comes to a ketogenic or carnivore diet or any other sort of WOE for that matter, as a group they are WOEfully uninformed / misinformed about nutrition.

• Sorry, just my cranky two cents. I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble, hope you can get this sorted out.

(Paul Devery ) #22

My need to go to the emergency room last week turned out to be low sodium due to the keto diet. Chloride in blood was normal. Probably expelling sodium bicarbonate.

(Bob M) #23

The heart does better with ketones. They have no idea what they are talking about.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

Very likely. Elevated insulin interferes with the excretion of sodium, so lowering it by reducing carbohydrate intake allows the kidneys to resume excreting it at the normal rate. Consequently, we need to work to increase our salt intake.

Also, a couple of recent studies have shown that the healthiest daily intake of sodium is in the 4-6 g/day range, which equates to 10-15 g/day of table salt (sodium chloride). This is quite a bit more sodium than the U.S. dietary recommendation (that recommendation is disastrously low).