Low energy while exercising

(Tammy Klein) #1

I’m on day 14 of keto. I went for a 7 mile run and had to walk it twice. My energy felt drained. I used some k sticks to makes sure I was truely in ketosis. At what point will my body take my fat for energy. I have 2 races in 2 weeks and I’m concerned I’m going to have to tranision back to carbs for energy. I also noticed lower energy in my crossfit workout. Tia

Give it time, you’re not adapted yet. I’m a runner.
It’s possible you could be there in 2 weeks but that may be pushing it.

Good luck, though, and let us know how you’re doing. I love to see more runners around here.

If you haven’t already check out Drs Phinney and Volek’s book
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515877537&sr=1-2&keywords=phinney+and+volek

(Tammy Klein) #3

How long does it typically take. I’m not sure if I can risk not being fat adapted by the end of the month. I have 2 back to back races… grrr

I’ve heard up to 6 weeks. Sometimes more sometimes less. I wish I could give you a better answer but we’re all different. On the plus side, the benefits to fat adaptation are worth it.
What distance are your races?

I don’t run competitively so I didn’t really pay that much attention.

(Jay Erdahl) #5

@Tammy11333 - I’m a competitive runner - at least in my age group (45-50 Male). I have been running for just 5 years, and have been fat-adapted for 3 of them. I did not run in ANY races for the first 3 months of being fat adapted, and if you’re going for performance, it might be difficult. There ARE a couple things I’ve found that help my performance that you may find to be helpful:

1. More sleep - this is the BIG one for me - nothing like a few extra hours per night for the 5 days leading up to the race.
  2. More caffeine - for me, this is ANY caffeine, as I gave up caffeine a year and a half ago, except for races. Sure does lead to a big boost on race day.
  3. Generation UCan - I don’t know how long your runs are, but this is a super starch that doesn’t drop me out of ketosis, and I use it for anything at half marathon or beyond. I make it into a gel with coconut oil - check out https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/nutrition-articles/what-to-eat-before-during-and-after-your-workouts-races/ for more ideas.
  4. Exogenous Ketones - I’ll admit that I’m just starting to experiment with these, but my best results have been on shorter runs. Only one I’ve tried is Keto//OS, but I tried it because it seemed like the best option. It’ll give you a non-carb boost, but it’s pricey and you’ll have to see if it works for you. You can see the thread on it here: Exogenous Ketones in Marathon Running Oh, and I see you’re a CrossFitter - there’s some nice articles (beyond my own results) on the positive boost from doing exogenous ketones before resistance training.

Last but not least, consider delving a bit into the mental side of running if you haven’t already to get a new boost. There’s a new book out called The Brave Athlete which is pretty great.

Good luck! Believe me, it’s SO worth being fat-adapted for all distances - the recovery time is so much quicker and less painful.

(Tammy Klein) #6

@barefootbob I have 2 back to back spartan races at the end of the month. The first one is 10 miles with 29 military style obstacles and the second will be easy with just 5 miles… I should be fine even with the way I’m feeling but would rather have more stamina for the 10 mile

@jayerdahl thank you. I def do all that stuff… just need more long term energy. Hopefully I’ll become fat adapted quickly and soon

(Tammy Klein) #7

@barefootbob do you think eating more fat will help the process along?

Not sure Tammy, I’m pretty new to this, too (about 3 or 4 months) and only have my own experience to go on. Not being competitive I didn’t pay too much attention when getting adapted. I honestly don’t think it took me 6 weeks before I was back up to my usual but most of my running is closer to 10 pace so I’m not out there breaking speed records.