Lost 54 pounds and only one dress size?!

I honestly don’t feel better. I’m glad to have lost the weight, and I know I’m healing metabolic damage but I don’t feel a bit better. My energy is in the toilet (like usual), I don’t sleep well, I still have horrible brain fog. And now I’m squishy, lol.

I’m sticking with it, hoping I see these improvements eventually.

I saw that post of the “I lost 30 lbs. and 10 sizes.” I’m not sure how that happens, but her body is doing the things it wants to–however, it is very unusual and none of us are going to come to any good comparing ourselves to her.

I’ve lost just over 20 lbs. and a bunch of my pants are getting loose enough that I need a belt now, but they still fit in other places. I’ve been measuring and based on that I’ve lost at least one size, but my clothes were snugger than I realized when I started. Now that I realize that I’m sort of horrified about wearing clothes that I was convincing myself fit, when they didn’t at all.

The other issue is that most women tend to carry weight in specific places–some women in their bellies, some their hips, some have big thighs, some are bustier. So you might just still be carrying weight in one of those places that’s keeping you from fitting into a smaller size.

In the end, since you don’t have measurements or photos, the only thing to do is to take both now, keep taking them and KCKO.

(Jody) #23

Have you seen a doctor in awhile? Figure out what’s going on?

(Marianne) #24

I hear you. When I see someone whom I think has lost weight, I say, “wow, you look really fit. Lookin’ good.” Nobody’s noticed my weight loss yet (17 lbs. of 80), however, that’s okay. I notice it. My huge belly is reduced so much and I don’t feel embarrassed anymore. I was so discouraged and low when I started that in spite of people saying otherwise, I didn’t measure my belly and didn’t take any pictures of myself. I would love to know what that number was so bad now. (Still haven’t measured - gotta find a string!)

I don’t believe in doctors. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I went to one about a year ago when I started Keto, to get some baseline lab work. That was the first time I’d been to a doctor in 12 years. I don’t get sick, sooo…

(Marianne) #26

That’s really a bummer, although I find it hard to believe that people haven’t noticed. I think they’re just not saying anything. I really believe that people in my family must have noticed my 17 lb. weight loss, but haven’t said anything, which pisses me off. I suspect they don’t want to give me that because they think keto is a “crazy diet,” that is unhealthy and unsustainable and they don’t support it. Fifty-four lbs. is a lot of weight - honestly, my props to you. Sounds like you have lost it pretty much equally all over. What do you notice about you? If you think back to how you were, you must have looked a lot more bloated and heavier. Is your face thinner? Do your regular clothes fit better? I bet you just look overall more trim and presentable. Please hang in there.

If you look at size charts you will notice non-plus size clothes are separated by like an inch. Plus sizes are separated by like 6+ inches. There is a lot of room for weight loss within 1 size.

I did not know that; that’s helpful and explains a lot.

Not only sizes vary from style to style and brand to brand, but even the same exact item bought at slightly different times can vary. I buy the exact same scrub pants every time. I have two of the same size bought one week apart and one pair is so baggy that after I wear then for an hour or two they start to fall off, the other pair fits perfect. Is this as bad a problem for men’s clothing or is this a women’s thing?

This is a good point. This must vary by brand, too, but (having just Googled) the difference between a 22W and a 20W in one of my favorite brands is 2 inches, between a 14 and a 12 is 1-1/2 inches and between the 6 and the 4 is 1 inch. Also, they make regular sizes up to an 18 and plus sizes staring at 14W. There’s a 2-1/2 inch difference between the 18 and 18W.

I guess a more important question is how are your old clothes fitting?

I don’t have any old clothes. I live in 288sq ft, so as I was gaining weight I got rid of too-tight stuff for lack of storage space.

I’m just going to go with what @Clovey said about holding weight in an area (my stomach, in my case) that is keeping me from the 18’s.

(Jennibc) #32

The larger you are the longer it takes to drop sizes. I am 5’8 and was an 18 at 270 and I was still an 18 at 250, and could just squeeze into SOME 16s at 230. So 40 pounds to get down a size and then another 30 to drop down to a size 14. After that though, it’s been about a size for every 10-15 pounds. Hang in there, don’t get discouraged. It seriously took me to drop 70 pounds before a neighbor said to me, “Hey, it looks like you might be losing some weight, you look good, good job.”

Yeah standard brands have less inches between plus size than “plus size” brands

(Jennibc) #34

Bingo! Today’s size 12s are fitting me like tents and my 1995 size 12s fit me like a glove. In today’s sizes, I am an 8 jeans. I have NEVER worn an 8 in my life before. My 1980s size 10s have a 27-28 inch waist depending on the cut.

(Robert C) #35

I found Levi’s jeans doing the same thing using actual inch measurements.

Their “Levi’s Men’s 541 Athletic Taper Fit Jean” uses a stretchy fabric and has “Extra room in seat and thigh”.

You can walk around with 36X32 on the outside label comfortably or you can walk around in an original pair of 501’s with 40X32 on the outside label that looks and feels pretty darn tight.

(Jody) #36

This is so true!

I meant the clothes you were wearing when you were heavier. Are they loose now? If so, how loose? Just sort of baggy? Or you really need a belt? Or are you at the “this is hopeless, I need new clothes” stage?

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #38

I once ran into an old friend after a few year of not seeing her and she had lost 200 pounds. I didn’t even recognize her, and when she told me who she was I exclaimed “WOW! You’ve lost a TON of weight! You look fantastic!” She seemed pleased, but later my husband at the time chewed me out saying I shouldn’t have sad anything. I said “why, she lost over 200 pounds, it would have been really weird if I DIDN’T say anything.”

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #39

Sharon, how long have you been doing Keto? I’m sure it’s frustrating, but you’re doing something really good for yourself. You didn’t gain it quickly, it’s going to take time and commitment to lose it too. I bet you’re going to wake up one day and find that almost overnight all your clothes are too big. Hang in there, you can do this and you’re doing the best thing you can for your body and your health.

(Khara) #40

Ya. It’s definitely a touchy area. Some people would want a comment and some wouldn’t. Like I said, I was always one who didn’t want anyone to notice. I figured if they noticed I lost weight then they noticed when I gained it too. I’m a bit more secure now. And now I approach it with others with a simple “You look great!” and don’t even say the word weight. I figure that covers all personalities without embarrassment.