Kidney Pain because of ketosis/acidic urine?

(Tim) #2

Have you been fasting at all? I know that while fasting the uric acid levels in my blood went sky high.

I haven’t experienced anything quite on this level, but I’m interested in hearing others experiences and getting down to a root cause on it.

(Amy pettis) #3

Some intermittent fasting several days a week (14-10), but no hardcore, multi day fasting.

(Jennifer Fawcett) #4

Hydration? I usually get a low back ache and headache if I bicycle dehydrated.

(Amy pettis) #5

I drink a LOT of water/tea during the day, so I doubt it, but it is possible.

(Jennifer Fawcett) #6

Just wondering, as tea is a diuretic.

(Amy pettis) #7

Good point and it has been super freakin’ hot here, so it’s possible I dehydrated myself without realizing it.

BTW, profile pic is great! I can hear the coconut shells from here!

Does keto/lowcarb mimic UTI symptoms?

Very interesting. I suspected this was happening with both my husband and myself, so it’s helpful to hear confirmation in someone else. I’m starting to think that people prone to negative effects from elevated uric acid (stones or gout) perhaps should not fast.

(Tim) #9

So from my understand, it’s a catch 22 because one of the leading indicators for Gout is being incredibly overweight, and holy crap is fasting the most awesome way to lose weight ever.

Honestly I wish I knew what I could do to flush my uric acid levels down to normal really quick though. From what I’ve seen it’s just a time and cleaning up the diet thing.

(Allie) #10

I had this for a while when I first went keto two years ago, along with UTI symptoms. Doc kept throwing assorted antibiotics at me which didn’t help, just made me feel crap, so I stopped talking to the doc and started drinking baking soda dissolved in water a few times a day (half teaspoon in about 8oz warm water) and job done, no more issues. I put it down to part of my body adapting.

(Amy pettis) #11

Noted! Thank you! I’ve read where other folks utilize baking soda to combat stomach upset and/or kidney discomfort. I will add that to my routine. :grin:

Had the same thing which started on Day 3 of a 5 day fast. The baking soda helped tremendously as did drinking more water than I thought possible. I added a cranberry supplement that also has D-Manno in it (not sure what that is but it was recommended for UTIs). Still taking it and have not had a problem for a month or so. I stopped doing the baking soda because I read some questions about possibly taking too much (and it made me nauseous). I did have what I thought might be gout start two weeks ago and it only started going away a couple of days ago. I took a bunch of supplements (cannot get to a lab for blood tests for various reasons so no idea if it was gout but it runs in my family even though I have never had it). One thing that seemed to help almost immediately was ACV, one teaspoon in a cup of water

(Allie) #13

D-Mannose is actually a sugar, very similar to glucose. I used to take it regularly, years ago, until I had a very had UTI which the D-Mannose had no effect on - I lost faith in it then. The theory is that the bacteria is attracted to the D-Mannose molecules when it is in your bladder so they stick to them and are then excreted in your urine.

That explains a lot. Although something seems to be working because I have slept through the night without having to go for the first time in months the last couple of nights. Also I am not waking up extra early the way I have been (so annoying) without having to be anyplace. I am also gaining a little weight and have had the desire to snack which I do not normally have. I have been taking tons of different supplements for my possible gout in the last week. Even though I have cut out berries completely I wonder if all the trace sugar in the supplements including D-Manno have kicked me out of ketosis. I thought it was that I had not fasted much in the last couple of weeks because it seems to aggravate gout in some people or so I have read and seen commented.

I only have a few D-Mannos left so I will continue taking and then not buy more. Thank you for the heads up

(Allie) #15

Baking soda really is a lifesaver for me and it doesn’t take much - I put about half a teaspoon in a full mug of hot water. Too much will act as a laxative in a really bad way… :joy: But this small amount seems perfect.

I hope you find what works for you :heart:

(Amy pettis) #16

Thanks, all!

(Moriarty Philip) #17

Glad it’s not just me…was just about to post same question but found this after doing a search. I have been drinking loads of water and still have the issue.
Was starting to think I might have to visit doctors but going to give the baking soda a go now.

(Moriarty Philip) #18

I have tried the baking soda and while it did seem to ease the symptoms…still have a full ache…any ideas and how long was it and how much baking soda did you have before it improved.

Is there anything else it could be like kidney infection or stones ? I understand that keto can cause kidney stones (think I read this somewhere) but not 100%

(Allie) #19

If you’re concerned see a doctor.

When I used the baking soda I just had about half a teaspoon dissolved in hot water several times a day. This was after the doctor had bombarded me with antibiotics for several weeks as they thought it was a kidney infection

(Moriarty Philip) #20

If still like this after weekend I will make appointment. Thanks

(Duncan Kerridge) #21

I had similar kidney pain when I first started, usually following a long walk. A little bicarb usually sorted it. It went after about three months so I guess it was something to do with adaption.