Ketonix or house of keto

(Shale ) #1

Would love up to date recommendations for ketone testing… urine strips are no longer reliabe. I’m not crazy about the idea of blood testing — so I’m hoping y’all can fill me on breath analyzers. Which is the best? How accurate? Does it work if you are keto adapted?

(Karl) #2

My experience in this post (down a couple of replies in the chain):

Short version: Didn’t work for me.
Disclaimer: I’m very much against testing and I’m sure my bias comes through in my posts :slight_smile: Fair warning.

(Shale ) #3

Thanks for sharing your experience… I don’t believe I’ll be investing in a Ketonix!
I have a friend who has House if Keto - she loves it!
I’m sad my ketosticks are showing trace… it was so exciting to see pink! I don’t really understand why it stopped…

(Karl) #4

Because those sticks you pee on only measure wasted ketones. We humans don’t like to keep throwing away resources, so eventually your body adapts better to using ketones instead of just having your kidneys toss them out.

The fact that they aren’t showing up in your urine anymore is a good thing.

Testing is a slippery slope. Make sure you prepare yourself for readings you can’t explain. These forums and others on the intertubes are full of people baffled about why they’re getting readings they don’t expect.

I think it’s easier to just not test and never have to deal with that level of bafflement or stress :slight_smile:

(Renee Slaughter) #5

That’s because you’re using ketones instead of pissing them out. Its a good thing.

Is it possible some people do not expell breath ketones?

I have two different cheap breathalyzer that people here recommended. One worked when I first got it, about a month or two into ketosis. At that point it would show .5 - .8. A couple of months later it would barely register .2 on day 4 of a fast! Since I do lazy keto and have been stalled for months, I assumed it was me eating too many berries but I wonder if I simply do not produce measurable breath ketones. The other one I got a few months ago and they are pretty consistent

(Karl) #7

Maybe, who knows.

The ketonix measured something. It’s just that the readings varied to such a degree that the data was just not meaningful/useful to me.

I have been using the ketonix for a couple of years. There is always the temptation to take a deep breath. That is to be resisted. Just the end of the breath cycle 10 - 20 seconds.