Ketonix Breath analyzer Help - Keto Level Comparisons

(D) #103

Here is a picture with the blue Breath Ketones PPM line on top of it. MAV is the line in magenta. I couldn’t find “MAV” anywhere in the manual but also may need to look again.

(D) #104

And since I can only post one pic at a time, here’s the graph without the blue line.

(Jay AM) #105

I’ll try to look into this too. I remember reading what it was but can’t for the life of me find it right now.

(Jay AM) #106

I emailed Ketonix and they got back to me. MAV stands for moving average. I’m not sure what it means exactly in this context but, elsewhere, it’s a line that smooths out random data noise. So, for example, in your first picture where you see the high mark on blue, the magenta only moved slightly up. It’s kind of like the trend line with actual movement. If you tested frequently, it’d prove to be more useful. Say you tested 4 times in an hour for some reason and 1 of the 4 readings was randomly super high, the MAV wouldn’t count it.

(D) #107

Thank you! I’m surprised you heard back from them so quickly. I’m testing at least 3 times a day at the moment just to get some use out of this thing, but I’m also remembering that the whole point of ordering a breath tester is that you can test as many times as you want, and it costs the same.

Speaking of trends, just when I’m into the Ketonix, something goofy happens. The other day a non-keto friend tested and got a much better readout than anything I’d done after a 17 hour fast. Others have seemed to report this. Also I used the USB charger this morning, and the circular metal housing came off. I’ve only had this thing for six days!

(Jennifer Kleiman) #108

I’m having a lot of fun with my ketonix personally, been doing a PSMF for the past two weeks (protein-sparing modified fast, 500 cals of lean meat/day), correlating the data with exercise, HR data (i’ve got a fitbit HR) and blood ketones, glucose (I wear a cgm) and weight loss (I got a bio-impedence scale). Will write things up in detail soon.

(Jay AM) #109

It says in the manual that testing should be done in context. Non ketoers shouldn’t try it because methane (produced by carbs) can cause a false high reading. I see people a lot trying to do things that it’s not meant for. Like correlate with blood ketone values, using it to test when cheating, after drinking alcohol or using alcohol based mouth wash, not rinsing their mouths before each use. Do you mean the colored housing? Can it be easily put back on and possibly glued into place?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned above, but it’s actually pretty easy to contaminate the sample with extra-ketogenic acetone.

• Drink a glass of wine and BAM, an extra 15 points easy (I guess the alcohol triggers it).

• And the other weekend, the air was a little smoky from a barbecue going on outside and the number was abnormally high. Confirmed from a quick google search that acetone is commonly found in smoke.

• Lastly, DO NOT try using your ketonix in a nail salon…

(Gregory Bowser) #111

The formula for calculating blood beta-hydroxybutyrate to breath acetone is
Breath acetone# = ln(blood beta-hydroxybutyrate) {ln is natural log}. So, if you blow an 8 on the Ketonix, the meter should read around 2.08. I uploaded a .pdf table with the calculations from 1 to 100. Your mileage may vary.
Ketonix reader.pdf (390.4 KB)

Hey Gregory, thanks for the PDF! Questions:

1. Where did this formula come from?
  2. Seems like the table at the bottom of the pdf has the x and y labels mixed up?

Thanks!

(Gregory Bowser) #114

Hi, I derived the formula based on the data in Obesity (2015) 23, 2327–2334. doi:10.1002/oby.21242 Measuring Breath Acetone for Monitoring Fat Loss: Review. The values highlighted in green are from the study. I checked the labels and they are correct. The Ketonix should go from 1 to 100. Thanks for the sanity check. There are so many things that can increase or decrease breath acetone levels according to the above paper that have little to do with beta-hydroxybutyrate metabolism that you have to account for when comparing one to the other.

Thanks for doing the work yourself! Appreciate it. Now, it still seems to me that the text labels of the graph are mixed up because you have acetone labeled on the y-axis from 0 - 5, when the ketonix scale goes from 0 - 100. And the BHB labeled on the x-axis goes from 0 - 100, which can’t be right because 90% of the values on that scale would be ketoacidosis. Acetone should be the x-label and BHB should be the y-label. Sorry if I’m being dense, last time I’ll bring it up.

(Gregory Bowser) #116

Sworn_Sante, you are correct. I know better than to let Excel “help” me. The labels are swapped. Good catch, I should have caught that. Peer review, it’s a wonderful thing :smile:.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #121

Hey, @ilike_technology great info! How about a hack to the Lumen to calculate and display RER values. I think seeing RER is more useful than seeing acetone numbers. By the way, I have a Ketonix. Thanks.

It starts at 4 for Ketonix

(Bob M) #123

What starts at 4?

I have the original Ketonix, and it gives you “Units”, and the ability to select between different scales for ketosis. For instance, the scale I’m using has “green” at 26-52, yellow at 52-77, red 78-100.