Ketone production and use

(Mandy) #1

Hey all,

At a little over 3 months into this WOE I know better than to chase ketones. With that said, I do check several times a week. Usually when I wake or around dinner. The past month or so, when I wake my levels are fairly high at 2.1 according to my MOJO. And later in the day they will be up to 2.9. My question is, I keep reading that too high of a level may indicate my body is not efficiently using ketones. Is it possible after almost 14 weeks I’m still not using ketones? Or maybe I just produce more than the person next to me. Just the curious George in me wondering.

Thanks for reading.

(Bunny) #2

After 26.071 (maybe before?) weeks then you may see lower numbers?

(Mandy) #3

Haha! Nice gif!

OK… So maybe I’m producing more than I need right now and just need to KCKO.

(Bunny) #4

May want to take a peek at this post by Richard

(mole person) #5

I’ve been in ketosis for well over a year now and I still get regular readings of 4 to 8 mmol on the pee sticks. It bothers me not at all that my body is wasting a few extra calories. :smiley:

(Mandy) #6

@atomicspacebunny great post, thanks.

@Ilana_Rose wow. I suppose this is yet another n=1!

(Allie) #7

I still get non-fasting readings of over 3mmol sometimes, even as high as 5mmol once, and am three years in and well adapted.

(Mandy) #8

Oh wow. That’s good to know. My readings were also non fasting. It’s somehow comforting to know long term ketoers have the same results as me. Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Apparently you can lower your ketone level by eating more protein . . . .

(Mandy) #10

I’m not sure I’m interested in lowering my ketones, more interested in why they are what they are. I consume roughly 75 grams of protein a day which I think is on the high side for a sedentary short girl :joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

The liver makes ketones from fat in the absence of insulin. There is a fairly complex mechanism, involving the supplies of oxaloacetate and acetyl CoA, that regulates the production of ketones. If I can find the lecture I dimly remember on the topic, I’ll post a link, but frankly, don’t hold your breath. Peter Attia also wrote some articles on ketones and how they are produced, which you can find at www.peterattiamd.com.