Ketone meter

(Rick Weber) #1

Hi there group members. I’m getting to the point where I feel i should be testing my blood ketones. I live in the USA and would ideally like a meter / insert strip system that measures both ketones and blood sugars. Anyone have knowledge? Is the ketonox breath analyzer better and why?

(Clare) #2

The ketonix is the easiest and has no ongoing costs.
It shows breath not blood but I think the correlation is solid enough for everyday tracking.
I’ve been using one for months and I love it.

(Rick Weber) #3

Thank you!

I currently use the Abbot Precision Xtra and it measures both glucose and ketones. So far I am happy with it.

I also own the Nova Max Plus that does the same thing, but testing the same blood gave me very different glucose readings - the ketone strips are too expensive to test a lot, but given than the glucose readings seemed unstable, I decided to switch to another meter.

(Eric Sawyer) #5

The Percision extra is the best. Gives you accurate ketone readings as well as blood glucose readings. I got my meter on Amazon for about $27 and I get my test strips on eBay for usually less than two dollars a strip for the ketone strips.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #6

I agree, the Precision Xtra is the better way to go. Also, use eBay for your test strips and look for the “Freestyle” version available form Australia or the U.K. for best prices.

(danjo171) #7

Before getting a ketonix check out this topic Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)
I have a ketonix and I regret buying it, as it is very expensive and it has to be connected to a computer for accurate results. Otherwise only shows a range.

(Clare) #8

I love mine - it’s a simple and unobtrusive way of keeping an eye on things. I keep it at work and measure during the week.
I’m not diabetic or anything - I just want to keep a general eye on my ketosis and t know what things affect it. I guess it depends on what data you need.