Ketone Level Too High?

(Melissa ) #1

Anything to be concerned about? Been fasting since Sunday night, feel fine. Was going to break my fast with dinner tomorrow.

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #2

Nothing to worry.
6-7 for someone fasting is normal.
More than 10 you can consider high, but won’t be necessarily an issue either

(Paolo Di Donato) #3

Congrats on the fast - I would imagine that is normal. How do you feel at 6.3mmol/l?

(Melissa ) #4

Feel fine!

(Sonia A.) #5

It’s perfectly normal to have elevated ketones when you’re fasting. It’s because your insulin levels are very low.

(Melissa ) #6

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned because it’s much higher than usual.

Looks normal during a fast as long as your glucose is normal to low along with it. I’ve never been over 5.7 myself, but I’ve seen others over 6.

(Melissa ) #8

Not sure about glucose, I’m not diabetic so I don’t test. I feel fine, nice to get confirmation all is well. Thanks!

My ketones are 7.1 today. Blood glucose 3.1 so according to the above, I guess I am ok.

I have been eating keto and doing fasting on and off - 24 hours mostly and some 48-72 hours - for 4 months.

I recently ate for 2 days and this is my 4th day on 24 hours fasts. I will be eating normally for the next 4 days as I have family in town.

In Volek and Phinney’s graph they say that optimum is .5-3 mmol but what I don’t understand is why is that optimum? I understand the .5 being the low end, but what is it about the magic number of 3? Do they have a rationale for this number? I have ordered their book so perhaps they talk about that there.

If there is any light you can share on this, please do. Thanks!