Ketogenic Forums still often not accessible

(Ethan) #42

You wouldn’t recognize anything anymore. I can’t find an entry-level engineer anymore than can even do routing and subnetting, but they start at $150k

(Troy) #43

All good here folks
Just passing through :+1:

…On my Commodore 64 :wink:

(Bob M) #44

You know, I never really paid attention to that stuff, though I did buy “green” drives (some of them, anyway). It’s hitting a moving target, really. And the density keeps getting higher, with different techniques for that.

What I do now is use SSDs for the main drives in my computers. I just built a home theater computer, and put an SSD in it. I also put in a larger drive (one 500 gb, one 1 Tb), but then disabled both, since I use my Unraid server for everything anyway.

What’s old is new. When I was at Honeywell way back, we had to make large boards that were coupled together through a “back plane”, which is basically a vertical board with slots in it, and the large boards plugged into the back plane.

That’s similar to what happens now, only the “back plane” is a network, and there are tons of (relatively) independent systems that are interconnected via a network instead of a back plane. It’s kinda like Unraid: if one goes down, another can replace it and the data (hopefully) won’t be lost.

What gets me is when I have to do something on my Unraid server, which has a flavor of Linux. When I have to start telnetting to my system, it takes me a while to remember how to do that. And I delay it as long as possible. For instance, my system refuses to shut down now, and I did enough research to figure out that I was going to have to telnet and do a bunch of other stuff, to kill a process that’s been running but is hidden. I of course have to find out which process.

So, that might be something I do at some point in the morning of my “vacation”, which I’ll be spending at home, before everyone else gets up.

I’m still anti-cloud for my own data, but I can see the benefit for a company. As long as it’s encrypted.

(Ethan) #45

And that’s why all the best clouds make encryption a service, too!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

We have been a problem lately with the host server running out of file storage. Richard has now finished his exams and has some time to deal with the matter. He promises results soon. If you would like to help fund the hardware upgrade, please visit our Patreon page.