Keto tongue?

(Darlene Horsley) #1

Has anyone here experienced this? I am two and a half months into Keto, have lost 17 lb, and all of a sudden my tongue feels like sandpaper against the back of my teeth.

I do not have dry mouth or dental issues, and I am pretty certain that I am getting enough salt however I wondered about a possible vitamin B deficiency? Or potassium and magnesium? Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.

(Allie) #2

It’s part of adaptation, like the extreme thirst that cannot be quenched no matter how much you drink. It gets easier.

(VLC.MD) #3

the front of your tongue ?
does it look different ?

(Darlene Horsley) #4

No difference in appearance and I continue my normal oral hygiene routine. It seems to be the front top 1/4 and tip.

(VLC.MD) #5

looks like a keto thing.

the tongue does lots of strange things that defy explanation.

Like geographic tongue.

mouth breathing at night can be hard on the tongue.

moisture helps most tongue things.

sucking on sugar free candy helps dry tongue.

avoid mushing your tongue against your teeth can help.

take some tongue selfies to monitor the progress.

(Darlene Horsley) #6

Update:
I’ve added Morton salt light and magnesium along with a multivitamin. It is much much better. Not totally gone but definitely on its way out. Don’t know if it is the additional supplements or timing but I’ll take it!

(VLC.MD) #7

Good to hear.

Morton Lite Salt … I bought one of these 1/2 salt 1/2 potassium things. For making Ketoade. Haven’t tried it in cooking yet.

(Darlene Horsley) #8

I used it on fried eggs this morning and couldn’t tell the difference. However I taste-tested it on my tongue first and it is quite a bit saltier than Himalayan pink salt or regular salt so I used very little on my eggs. You definitely do not need to use much when cooking with it.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
(VLC.MD) #9

This is the Keto tongue thread