Keto sticks

(Debbie) #1

I just bought some keto sticks and it said negative. I’ve been following my macros religiously, 11-14 carbs 70 protein fat 115 and calories 1300. On been doing this way of eating for 3 months. I have lost 18lbs so far. I’m wondering why I haven’t reached ketosis . Also I am hypothyroid and menopausal.

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

Because the pee strips are unreliable. They only show excess ketones your body is dumping, not what it’s using. If your carbs are under 20, congrats, you’re probably in ketosis and your body is using ketones efficiently. Throw those strips away and keep up the good work.

(Allie) #3

Throw them away.

(jilliangordona) #4

@Shortstuff I feel like there should be an auto responding for when peeps ask about them that says exactly this.

I wish they would stop being marketed

(Debbie) #5

Bummer, I was really looking for a positive result on the sticks, so I could have it in my head that I am definitely in ketosis.
Thank you all for letting me know that they aren’t reliable.
I’m losing weight and after 3 months I’m still super excited about this new way of eating.
Thank you everyone

(What The Fast?!) #6

The sticks work for me when my ketones are high, like when I’m fasting. I use them for motivation when I’m doing extended fasting. :slight_smile:

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

A better way to tell if you’re in ketosis than the sticks is to listen to your body. Do you have more mental clarity? Feeling more energetic? If yes, then that’s an indicator you’re in ketosis. Not showing on the strips means you’re a lean mean ketone burning machine. Keep the positive attitude, don’t stress about what your pee says, and you’ll continue to do great.

(jilliangordona) #8

We can include that info in the autoresponder too :wink:

Took me 8 weeks and several IF, lost 21 pounds before strips changed color.

(Debbie) #10

Definitely more energy, I seem to be on the go all the time now. Thanks to everyone for all the good info.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

For about the same cost of a bottle of pee stix, you can get a breathalyzer. There is a thread with tons of info about using them and types, costs, etc. here:

Another thing that could go on the autoresponder :wink: