Keto Messing with My Sleep

It couldn’t be caffeine consumption too late in the day, could it? I run into that when I can’t resist having an extra coffee in the afternoon or some diet soda later in the day. I usually sleep fairly well except for kid interruptions, and since going keto I have much less acid reflux which used to wake me up. I do have some nights where it’s hard to sleep, whether caffeine did it or not, and I usually find relief using some essential oils. Magnesium did seem to help me as well. I also am trying to resist checking my computer and phone in that hour or so before bed, because of the bright light signaling my body that it is day time.

Not bad OR odd to me!!!

(Bernardo Fanti) #23

Interesting - I’ve heard of the “second sleep” notion before; monks would wake up in the middle of the night and hold Midnight Office, i.e. prayer. Maybe something to experiment with.

Also, in my case, some other variables:

• I stop caffeine intake at 12pm noon, not a single drop in the afternoon. I don’t take any other stimulants.
  • My dad suffers from similar sleep issues, though he’s certainly not on Keto - may be genetic. BUT, the odd thing is that I have in fact slept like a baby after eating carbs lately.

(Allie) #24

Apparently it was normal in Victorian times when people’s nights would be in two stages, with an awake break in between. Now many do the opposite, awake but with a nap in between.

I have chronic PTSD which has me on edge pretty much all the time, even at night. It’s like sleeping with one eye open to keep a watch on things. My boyfriend has problems that require medication that makes him restless and twitchy all night, coupled with snoring every time he rolls onto his back. So most of the time I’m in the spare bedroom trying to sleep, and it’s officially the cat room so my cat allergy (yes cat allergy and twelve cats) flares up. Then there’s the cats crunching their food, scratching their scratchers, digging in the litter box… oh and there are no curtains so the daylight can be an issue too… no wonder I’m so tired, but definitely can’t blame keto for it :joy:

Interesting article but I am sorry I do not buy it based on my n=1. If anything although I am sleeping less in general on keto I am much less anxious. This week, after eating too many carbs unintentionally I seem to be more anxious.

“This blunting of appetite is not because you may have eaten 120 calories of roll. It is caused by new serotonin putting a brake on your appetite”

When I eat 120 calories of bread, the only thing that happens is I end up eating the whole basket and am ready to chuck my diet out the window! That never happens on Keto, My body suddenly wants more desperately. If that is serotonin it is not doing it in my world at all

(Tsering M) #26

what is ZMA?

@David_Driver you may find this interesting, while I have no idea who this person is, the ideas are interesting with regard to serotonin

He references Dr. Emily Dean

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/

(Allie) #28

Hey so I just tried the progressive relaxation exercise here when I (again) woke up way too early – worked like a charm! I’m amazed.

There might be hope!!

(Judith Porterfield) #30

Oh my gosh! I didn’t realize it but my sleep issues are more common on keto than I thought! I go to sleep earlier than before, sleep well but later start tossing, turning & the twitches feel like restless I leg syndrome!! It’s awful! I have vivid dreams & wake up somewhere between 2:30- 5:30 feeling like an anxious or down feeling? I’m wondering if it’s electrolytes too! I do mfp to track macros & am doing well there. Wasn’t thinking about Salt intake, magnesium etc. Although I’ve had issues w low potassium in the past. Any thoughts?

(Judith Porterfield) #31

I’ve also noticed my severe GERD & reflux are so much better or non existent on keto! But am not sleeping well after I peacefully doze off I wake up w restless leg/twitches/stretching. (I don’t have cramps)… my macros are good & I’ve lost 15 lbs so far, my second time around. I just tried sea salt w Bragg vinegar as someone recommended. Hope it helps!

For restless leg syndrome, often it is a magnesium deficiency, but it could be other electrolytes that are deficient. A nice warm bath with epsom salts before bed might help you rest in many ways!

(Judith Porterfield) #33

Thank you! I had a gut feeling it was magnesium or even potassium as I used to have issues with that (but was on water pills way back when I didn’t know they caused very low potassium & hospital visits!) … Do you know a good all around supplement that would cover all the electrolytes? … I’ll try the bath! With my lavender Essential oils! Thanks again!.. I have a nice tub but always shower as a habit. Lol

I know I struggle with carving out time to take a bath, but it is so worth it when I do. I put Serenity essential oil in (includes lavender and other nice oils).

I haven’t taken this since I was walking half-marathons, but there is one supplement called Salt Stick you could check out. If you Google it there are several places that sell it.

I think it’s good to just work electrolytes into your diet and routine in various ways. I always have the pink salt around to put under my tongue when I feel the need (especially when fasting) - it has a variety of minerals in it. I like the idea of sometimes using “lite salt” on foods since it is half potassium, half sodium (I think). I haven’t tried that one yet. I occasionally have a drink mix from EmergenC called Electro-Mix that is largely potassium, as well as manganese. It doesn’t taste too wonderful on its own so I add the juice of a lime and stevia, with ice, then it is a great drink. I take magnesium tablets sometimes when I feel I’m low on it. It seems like if I don’t really need it, I end up with the laxative effect. That’s why soaking in the epsom salts is a better way to go with magnesium.

(Judith Porterfield) #35

Awesome info! Thanks so much! It’s like a huge lights flashing, on so many issues that I think may have been related to low potassium & sodium. I was seeing a naturopathic healer? A few years back & she had me doing the pink sea salt etc. It helped! I’ll try all the things you recommended & again, my gut says they’ll work wonders! I don’t know why I had forgotten I didn’t realize it could be electrolytes!!
I’m currently getting my kit in the Essential oils & have been using them about 6 months. I love them! I’ll try the serenity! Now I have the basics. Are there any I can mix (in the bath), the lavender w like stress away or peace & calming? I have those plus others. Just until I get the serenity. Thanks again so much! I’m determined to do this & get through the issues! While getting healthier in the process!!

I sometimes get muscle twitches, not usually in my legs but I find the OTC restless leg pills perhaps they are quinine help a lot. Note this is not related to Keto as I have been getting them for years every once in a while

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

I have always had to get up in the middle of the night, sometimes twice or three times, ever since I was a young child. One of the things keto has done for me is to make my bladder signals much less strident. I now sleep much longer, and when I do need to urinate the quantity is much greater than usual when I eat carbs.

I understand the frustration of feeling tired in the morning, but many nights when I feel I didn’t sleep a wink, I’ve actually slept quite a bit. And they say it’s possible to be awake most of the night and believe you’ve slept. So personally I try not to worry about it.

If seratonin were the miracle people claim it to be, I would never have finished all the bread in the basket, ordered and eaten more, and then gone on to large meals and heavy desserts. Nor would I have gained weight after starting an SSRI. In my case it is certainly not an appetite suppressant!

I never had sleep issues, but the nights that I’m very low carb and go to bed in ketosis my sleep is no bueno, its super light and I toss and turn, I track my sleep with an Oura ring and it shows me all the disturbances and how may times I wake up Since I’m pretty new to keto I will be experimenting with minerals and adding some carbs. Hoping this will pass.

I absolutely notice a difference when I am fasting. I do not necessarily toss and turn, but that can happen, it is more that I get tired earlier and then cannot sleep in the morning. I wake up and am awake.

It does help to save some carbs for right before bed or later in the day. Try pumpkin seeds, those help a little

Thanks @Saphire will try the pumpkin seeds. The past few nights I’ve been extremely tired going to bed earlier than usual and no problem falling sleep, but then I wake up many many times during the night, sleep is super light, as opposed to other nights that I wake up at most once for the restroom and sleep pretty good.
From reading all the posts Im thinking this definitely has something to do with my guy microbiome, so will be patient with it.
Thanks again!