Keto Messing with My Sleep

Omg that would be a dream! I’ve been snacking on sea salt, but havent really measured how much Im taking, Ill up my Mg too! Last night I took Doc Parsely’s sleep remedy which has 400 mg Mag Citrate, Ill add some Mag Glycinate tonight. Will keep you guys posted.

(MooBoom) #43

Me too, but I upped my fat (from 90g to 130g) and cut my protein (from 120-80g). The sleep issues were really knocking me around for a while there

@peresianketo have you gotten into bullet proof coffees yet? They help. I add a tsp of Celtic sea salt to mine every morning and that works wonders.

@MooBoom Thats great! Ok confession: Im not tracking my macros like everyone else here just yet, I jam just figuring it out and measuring my ketones with a precision xtra gezillion times a day to make sure Im in ketosis, and I am :slight_smile: I do bulletproof almost every morning, actually bullet proof led me to the path of keto and this forum. Ill start monitoring my fat intake to see if it makes a difference, I think Im taking tons of fat as is, but you never know :wink:
Im not losing any weight though, I just want to lose 10 lbs, being very patient with my new lifestyle.

(MooBoom) #45

Good for you! It’s a brilliant lifestyle, so many benefits other than weight loss. You don’t have very much to lose and may find the scales are not very accurate, you may have more peace of mind if you take your measurements instead. This way of eating (WOE) often results in an increase in muscle mass for women and a rise on the scale, but a drop in inches.

There’s nothing right or wrong way to do keto, but if you aren’t getting the results you’d like having a tinker with your macros and tracking what you eat could make all the difference. It has helped me a lot and is just habit now :blush:

I just calculated and heres the run down: fat 142 grs, protein 79 grs and net carbs 3 grams… and Ill be adding dinner to this… so I guess I’m eating too much?? Btw I havent experienced not being hungry yet, I dont have dips but I still like food and want to eat…

(MooBoom) #47

Don’t worry, there is no ‘eating too much’ provided you don’t exceed your protein or carb macros and make the rest fat (happy days!!!). If you’re hungry, absolutely eat! Just stop when you hit satiety.

I have days where I can take or leave food and days when I want ALL THE FOOD lol but I’m only 12 weeks in. Losing weight and gaining health consistently though :+1:

@MooBoom Thats awesome! How much weight have you lost? inches or lbs or whatever you’re measuring…

(MooBoom) #49

Here’s my graph- and I’m down two dress sizes :tada:

amazing!! must feel great:heart_eyes:

(Edith) #51

When I upped my protein is was to about 80g per day. If you were already at 80g and then you were going to eat more protein at dinner, you are probably eating too much protein. If I eat more than 100g of protein in a day, the next morning my ketones are low.

I also found if I eat too much fat that I do gain weight instead of lose. Unfortunately, I am 51 so weight loss is very slow and definitely tied to where I am in my monthly cycle.

It really is amazing to me how individual dieting is. I think is great we can all share our experiences so each of us can figure out what works for us. A lot of people talk about fasting and how they seem to naturally slip into extended fasts. I am close to my goal weight and while I no longer have the need snack in between meals, I do need my 3 meals per day.

Let us know if you figure out what helps your sleep improve.

Edith

Strict keto for 5 weeks. “Learning keto” for 3 months. Organic foods, electrolytes, minerals, etc.
Lost 10 lbs. Belly fat gone.
Past month my wake up time is 4 - 4:30 am.
I fall asleep earlier, but am currently getting ~ 5 - 6 hours of sleep.
At 3 pm, I listen to Neural Agility by Revitamind to improve my cognitive pathways which have been affected by Lyme Disease. I fall asleep for 30 - 45 mins and wake refreshed.
On days when I am hungry, or my HRV drops down in the 7’s, I eat more and don’t exercise beyond an easy walk. My HRV then returns to 8.5 and I am less fatigued. I am on a learning curve. I currently use Cronometer and my FITBIT but have ordered the Oura ring for better tracking of activity and sleep.

Will my sleep get back in the 8 hour range at night?

I don’t mind falling asleep earlier. I am pretty much winding down by 8 pm and will fall asleep before 9 pm if tired. But then, I wake up by 3 am. I usually fall asleep by 10 pm.

(Laura Danielle) #54

What other electrolytes? This insomnia is killing me. :tired_face::weary:

You could try adding calcium (in which case add vitamin k2 which supposedly is good for making sure it gets into your bones and not your arteries.

Magnesium, potassium and sodium.

You could try saving your carbs for right before bed. For me it did pass after some months.

If you are ok with supplements phosphatidlserine is supposed to be good for reducing cortisol and helping you sleep, no idea if it works at all

(icky) #56

I agree with those who have said this may be salt related.

While I don’t have any salt / electrolyte issues myself on Keto, I found this incredibly helpful article about Keto and salt and electrolytes today which mentions the symptoms you guys are describing:

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function/#comment-2794

I’ve been researching this salt stuff, cos it’s had me mystified so far.

Here’s some more research I’ve compiled:

(Laura Danielle) #57

Thank you! I just got a calcium, magnesium potassium supplement and potassium drops. I usually do eat my carbs (from veggies) mostly at night. I’ll increase my sodium as well. Other than this insomnia I feel great! I’m confident I’ll get it under control eventually. You guys are awesome. Thank you!!

(Laura Danielle) #58

Thank you so much!!!

(Laura Danielle) #59

Ive found those articles extremely interesting. Thank you so much for sharing. There may really be something to lack of salt. I’m going to increase sodium via salt and broth. I’ll let you all know if this works!

While salt may be a problem for some people I do not think that was my problem. During fasts I used to use a half teaspoon or so several times a day and my insomnia (and being cold) were always worst during fasts. My salt intake has always been good. I used to track when I was on moderate carb with the goal being keeping salt under 2500 mg a day. I never made it and I do salt my food to taste. Now I no longer worry about it and also no longer have insomnia (not related to each other)

Best wishes. Please be aware you can overdose on potassium, while it is unlikely using the 100mg pills, it is possible to overdue it which is why the potassium sold over the counter is so low

(Empress of the Unexpected) #62

I get my potassium from avocado.