Keto in France - yes or no

(JJ) #22

An old thread, but wondering how the original poster went on their trip to France?

I am traveling to France in September to do a 350km walk through Southern France, toward the Pyrenees. The accommodation I have organised for myself along the way are small, traditional guesthouses in mostly tiny rural hamlets, I will be eating with the hosts at each stop most evenings and breakfasts are included in every spot I have booked. From what I can tell, breakfast is pretty uniform and consists of pastries, local confits (jams, jellies whatever you call them from your country) yogurt and sometimes deli meat and cheese. Lunch will be whatever I can grab while out walking. I shall take some peanut butter, nuts etc with me as I have been told Sun/Mon I will encounter very few boulangeries or cafes that are open along my route.

I will be walking between 15-30km each and every day and am hoping that I may relax enough to try some pastries and jam here and there, am hoping like mad that the style of yogurt the French like and serve will be full fat and unsweetened.

Hoping I will manage to mostly stay LCHF/Keto yet enjoy all that France has to offer. I am thinking it is a fine line between enjoyment and immersing myself in the experience VS. going carb crazy as pastries are my achilles heel.
From this thread it at least sounds possible that I can make my nutrition choice balance work out ok?

Chime in anyone with experience please. I have never been to Europe before, this is a huge deal to be doing this trip for my 40th birthday.

I would ease back into a few carb items at least a few days before I left. I wouldn’t want to spend the first part of the trip in a re-adjustment period. One of the things I like about Keto is the lack of stomach issues and although I like to eat some fried favorites on my beach vacations, the increased amount of BM time is something I didn’t miss.

(JJ) #24

Yes! The BM issue. Oh hadn’t even figured that in at all. A sudden carb jump would see me stuck on the loo, not hiking across hills