Keto Friendly Bread

(Mick Lunsford) #1

Anyone recommend a keto friendly bread. Tried the “Thin Slim” and not even my dogs would touch it. Couldn’t even eat it toasted drowned in butter.

Mick

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #2

I tend to use chaffles as bread at weekends - you’ll find a whole thread about them right here - Chaffles

Or if you’re after a homemade yeasted bread and are okay with gluten then you need to talk to @FishChris!

I don’t buy keto bread substitutes so don’t know of any commercial products to recommend - generally I have my scrambled eggs in a bowl, not on toast, my soup contains a lot of cheese so it’s rich enough without bread, and I can’t think of any other scenario where bread would be a requirement. Oh, pre-lockdown when I was working I would often take a sandwich to work, but made out of two chaffles rather than sliced bread. As a vehicle for egg or tuna mayo they’re perfect!

I just do a mug bread and call it a day. Chaffles sound good too but I don’t have a waffle maker and I don’t do cheese. All these packaged keto breads always have way too many questionable ingredients for my liking.

It really depends on what purpose you want bread to serve. It’s usually just a delivery system for something else.

I typically use Joseph’s Lavash Bread, a flatbread similar to low carb tortillas, or Chaffles.

I’ve tried the ThinSlim and Great Low Carb Bread Company and SmartBuns baked items. All were OK, but expensive and filled with a lot of fiber. I always feel bloated and uncomfortable afterwards. SmartBuns were probably the best of the three.

Almost any mug bread batter could be made in the waffle maker. Doesn’t have to have cheese.

I prefer the texture and consistency of the final result either waffle-ironed or baked than I do out of the microwave.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

All the commercial “keto-friendly” breads seem to have issues with them. And all the recipes I’ve seen, where people say, “You won’t be able to tell the difference,” taste too eggy for me. The best course is probably to do your own taste-testing and see what you like. Also be sure to scrutinise the nutrition labels, because a lot of products that claim to be keto-friendly really aren’t.

A number of the members of the Ketogenic Forums question the whole issue of trying to find keto substitutes in the first place. I don’t want to raise the whole debate again, except to say that if you really need a substitute to help you adapt, then go for it. It might not be a helpful strategy over the long term (and your tastes may very well change, too), but if it’s a short-term aid, then don’t worry about it. (The same thing can be said about artificial sweeteners, btw.)

Just be sure to understand all the issues involved, so that you can make an informed choice.

(Mick Lunsford) #6

Thank you all so much.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #7

I’ve tasted this before and it’s not bad at all. A little carby and I wouldn’t make it a regular thing, but in case you’re interested

https://schmidtbaking.com/products/647-2/

Aldi sells a decent one if you can find it in stock. I usually throw it in the air fryer to toast it and put a burger between it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thekitchn.com/aldi-keto-bread-review-22950457%3Famp=1