Keto for my 11 year old son - day one

Thanks Allen. Hard work haha - I at least I can control the food in the house - the trick is to make sure he never gets hungry.

Tonight I experimented with making chicken tenders/nuggets with coconut flour. Winner winner chicken dinner!!! He totally loves them. I adjusted my recipe from this one:

I tried to make tenders with almond flour a few weeks ago, and they were a big fail. Chicken tenders dipped in one beaten egg then coated with coconut flour, paprika, garlic powder and salt and pepper wins this dinner round. :slight_smile:

I shallow fried slowly in olive oil - would have to do until I can pick up some coconut oil tomorrow.

(Jacquelyn Graham) #42

I use crushed pork rinds for breading. Works great and fries up nice and crispy.

(VLC.MD) #43

Throw them out.
Cornflakes better suited for cows. And then you eat the cow.

Do a Kitchen Clean Out.

Was listening to a podcast that suggested that soy flour and coconut flour together give the best taste for batter. That they cancel each other out in terms of their distinctive tastes. I tried them in an Atkins Eggplant Rollatini recipe and it was pretty good. Have not tried chicken nuggets yet

(Carpe salata!) #45

Definitely throw them out.

It’s a hard mental calculus for a kid. It’s right there, why can’t I eat it !?

(Vicki Stroud) #46

Some people I know have a daughter with Prader-Willi Syndrome. It is not an easy thing for the kids who have it to deal with because they are lacking that chromosome that tells you that you are full, so, Emma eats all the time if they let her. They actually have a padlock on the kitchen so she does not eat at night. Sorry had to edit that from hungry to full. Emma has no idea that she is full she just continuously eats because she is missing that chromosome.

(VLC.MD) #47

Wonder if keto would help ?

(Vicki Stroud) #48

That is what I was wondering as well and think I will mention it to them.