Keto diet newbie

(Stacey Plant) #1

Hello I suffer with ibs so lactose intollerent and gluten.
I have been reading this and wanting to give it a go.
Can you eat yoghurts, drink tea normal and green / fruity teas?

(TJ Borden) #2

Most teas are okay as long as they don’t have stuff added. I’ve come across a few that actuall have sugar added, so just check the ingredients.

Yogurt is fine too, just avoid added flavors that usually come with added sugar and avoid nonfat and low fat. You want the highest fat content you can find. If you can find a double cream or triple cream yogurt, even better.

not sure about the fruity teas but green and black yes, and full fat yogurts with no sugar

(less is more, more or less) #4

Welcome! Peruse the FAQ, lots of helpful info for a newbie.

(Stacey Plant) #5

Thank you for your reply.
I normally have normal tea with a sweetener in the morning with skimmed milk (do I need to change the milk??)

Then the rest of the day I drink green teas or the pukka teas I will check the ingredients on these.

Yoghurts so do I need to look for low carb or none and no sugar ones etc.

(TJ Borden) #6

Definitely skip the skim milk. It’s all sugar and no fat. Switch to heavy whipping cream (HWC). It’s full of fat, super low carb, and DELICIOUS.

On the yogurt, you probably won’t find a zero carb, there naturally sugar, you jusy want it as low as possible. The trick with dairy is when they make it low fat, they add sugar. So the full fat versions tend to be be lowest sugar, and the best tasting.

(Stacey Plant) #7

Thank you so is full fat milk ok don’t really like the sound of cream in my tea lol.

As I said it’s only 2 a day I have so not major and I do drink alot of water and green teas.

The yoghurts do I when I’m looking at ingredients take the fibre away from the carbs to give her carbs and is this what I’m going on.

My target said no more than 20g of carbs a day

(TJ Borden) #8

Whole milk is better than skim, but it still has a fair number of carbs. As long as you account for it in your daily total it’s fine.

With American nutrition labels, you take the total and subtract fiber for net carbs.

UK labels are different. I’m guessing thats where you are since you spelled it “fibre”. They list fiber separately so the carbs listed are already net.

(less is more, more or less) #9

I remember my mom, in the 70’s, transitioning our family from whole to skim milk, or water-milk as we called it. It was horrible, but, we were reliably and expertly assured this was the right thing to do to be healthy, and we lapped up the processed abomination. We can grow to like anything, if we try hard enough, right?

Nowadays, we have a green light for whole and delicious milk again. Why not drink whole milk?

That’s when the topic of some people avoiding milk, for various reasons. My wife is convinced milk introduces metabolic problems, but I’m unconvinced, either way.

I’m resolutely ambiguous on the matter and open to diary and diet.

Skim milk avoid at all cost, better to add high fat cream to coffee

(the cheater) #11

Yeah, avoid skim milk and yogurt. I have not found a single yogurt with a reasonably low level of carbs. Even the sugar-free, plain stuff usually has like 8g per serving if not more. It’s too bad. But yeah, avoid all dairy milk, especially if your lactose intolerant. Way too much sugar for keto diet. Good luck!

(Stacey Plant) #12

Thank you all.
So do none of you have tea or coffees

I drink black tea with almond milk in it in the morning, and personally, I love it.

With IBS, lactose intolerance, and not able to have gluten, you may be pleasantly surprised to know that a lot of keto baking will work well for you. All you have to do is sub out the dairy (usually butter) for coconut oil.

(Lonnie Hedley) #14

Coffee with coconut oil. Before I dropped dairy I had coffee with HWC.

(less is more, more or less) #15

Yes to both. I use either half-and-half, heavy cream, butter or coconut oil. Regardless, it’s delicious.