Keto Detector -- Anyone Heard of This?

(Cheryl Hall) #1

Just saw this on FB – anyone heard of this?

https://ketodetector.com

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Lots about these here:

Basically, it’s a cheap breathalyzer for a not so cheap price. You can definitely use them for rough estimates of when you’re in ketosis, but you can find them a lot cheaper than 20 bucks.

Just a re-branded self breathalyzer, which is why they made it a point to say “On the Keto Detector 0.3 g/l reading corresponds to 1.5 mmol/l.” Not sure how accurate it’d be being it’s doing something it wasn’t designed for. In the end they’re both detecting blood alcohols how accurately I dunno. Probably better than my garbage ketonix!

(What The Fast?!) #4

FWIW, For me, .03 is about .08-1.0.

(Cheryl Hall) #5

I guess I shouldn’t buy a Ketonix then! Looks like I’m going to have to just get a meter as this seems to be th best bet for accuracy – I just hate that they are so expensive!

Thanks!

I won’t bash all of them because mine sucks, but I’ve had nothing with issues with the company from order date to receiving it months later, just for it to not work correctly. Honestly its probably still worth buying the breathalyzer, and some blood strips and use them to confirm that the breathalyzer works right and if it does keep using it. The blood meter I have is a nova and about half the price vs the precision.

(Cheryl Hall) #7

Thanks so much - I appreciate your feedback! I have the urine strips and they confirm Ketones. I’ve only been at this very regiously for 6 weeks. I am devouring all the information I can get my hands on. I realize the strips are not the best option. Quite honestly I can tell just by how I feel when I’m in deep ketosis.

I’m so extremely sensitive to carbs that even small amount send my sugars up to anywhere from 150 - 170. My doctor took me off metformin and has kept me on only the Glyburide 5 mg 2 x a day. I moniter my sugars several times a day and I’m learning a lot about myself! I never take the dosage I’m supposed to – I’m basically treating myself based on my Glucose readings and only take the medicine when I absolutely have too. I’m concerned I’m not making Insulin properly anymore.

I fired my Doctor and now have made an appt with a new Endroconologist. I asked my old Doc for a Insulin test because, like I said, I feel like I’m not making much anymore. I also want to know! She said no! The only way I can get my numbers down is to take about 1/2 Glyburide and keep my cabs very low to zero. The Glyburide triggers the Pancreas to make Insulin.

I did a 72 hour fast and that got my numbers into the 80’s.
I do HIIT - at least 3x a week as well. My A1C’s were 7 before I started Keto. At that point I had already cut out all sugar, white flour and processed foods. I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the age of 28 and I’m now 58 soon to be 59. So I’ve been struggling with this for 30 years. At that point my A1C’s were over 12. I went vegan for a year and drank healthy juices – it did help for a little while and got my numbers down quite a bit but I struggled with numbers up and down all the time and began to feel aweful. I’ve tried so many things! I watched my Dad pass away from complications of Diabetes and my Mom had a Heart Attack and Kidney Failure last Sep. She’s on dialysis 3x a week now.

I’ve read just about this whole forum – it’s a wonderful resource – and the follks here seem awesome!