Keto Depression

(back and doublin' down) #42

Had to bookmark this post as I’m going to be late to work if I keep reading. Awesome research as always. Thank you for all the new stuff that’s going on my ‘gotta read’ list.

(Dom DePlume) #43

I fully understand that, but respectfully, I’ve been dealing with depression my entire life. I’m more than aware of the sympathetic depression phenomena. Both she and I are in tune with each-other’s depressive episodes, and this is distinctly different from both our normal patterns and symptoms.

(icky) #44

It seems very weird that by coincidence you are going through the same issues, at exactly the same time, after 8 months.

That makes me think it’s something other than Keto, because what is the likelihood that your metabolisms are totally identical, for these symptoms to start up at the same time?

I think it’s more likely to be some change you both made 3 or 4 weeks ago - possibly diet/ food related, but possibly something entirely different.

For example, my partner once bought a 2nd hand cupboard (20 years ago). He started developing quite severe symptoms: nausea, headache, blurry vision, all sorts of stuff.

His doctor tested him for EVERYTHING.

Eventually, this really smart doctor asked “Have you recently moved house or bought any new furniture?” and got my partner to get a testing kit and mail it to a lab.

It turned out the cupboard was loaded with wood protection chemicals (protection against pests). These chemicals were banned in the 1980s, but the 2nd hand cupboard had still been treated with them.

Just giving this as an example, for a weird external source of symptoms.

Have you changed where you shop? Changed any other things recently?

(Dom DePlume) #45

They’re not exact, but oddly similar. The metabolic question is a legit one, and I’m not saying we aren’t exacerbating each-other’s mental and emotional places, but we’ve both been eating pretty much the exact same things for the exact same amount of time. That to me is an important commonality that deserves note. Regardless, I’m doing a bit of a carb refeed, and seem to already feel a bit better today, which is interesting because it’s a cool, overcast day here in the Pacific Northwest (surprise! we have Juneuary again) and I’d normally have reached “No F___s To Give” in this circumstance.

Again, I’m not going to have a Coco Puff and maple syrup sandwich on white bread; just add in some slow- mostly whole-food carbs for a few days and see if it helps…anything.

I agree with Dom. I let myself have a tortilla or a piece of bread with butter…and I feel better. I consider 90% ketogenic still being an A. I’m not perfect in any other part of my life, but I still reap the benefits of being mostly perfect :joy:

(Dom DePlume) #47

Well, today after a 24hr-ish carb refeed, I’m feeling much better. Put on a near-instant 4lbs water, but I’m back on the keto wagon as or this morning. We’ll see in a week or so if I get any weight-loss benefit. I decided to have sushi yesterday because it’s high carb, mod protein, and low fat, so it’s a really good food for carb feasting. Plus, I love it, haven’t had it in 8mo, and missed it like my left arm, so it was a win all around…

(linda) #48

YAY!
Glad you are feeling better! Sushi is amazing - sashimi doesn’t quite do it -ha!

Sometimes we need to shake it up - I, too, have wondered about the “flat line” I have felt emotionally after the initial 5 month high from keto. I appreciate you posting about your experience - since wondering about carb cycling or breaks as an opportunity to re boot.
I have experienced two events with carbs that went well for mood improvement and psychological joy. I have read that Paleo followers use sweet potatoes - for all kinds of reasons.

(Dom DePlume) #49

Sweet potatoes (actually, garnet yams fried in bacon grease) are next up. I do feel noticeably boosted and more grounded…

I wanted to circle back on this topic. I had been on 150mg of Wellbutrin along with a ketogenic diet. I was doing well until the Dr wanted to increase to 300 mg. I sunk so deep in depression it felt like I was drowning. I literally screamed at my Dr to put me back on minimum dose as he wanted to to keep me on 300mg. He told me I had anger issues…therefore I needed a booster. I was growing more furious by the minute as my instincts knew I needed less. I told him i wasn’t willing to part with my anger and I would seek another Dr immediately.

I had listened to a Joe Rogan podcast about a carnivore diet or ‘elimination diet’ to figure which foods may be causing inflammation and/or depression. Day and and day 2 were horrible, but I’m on day 8 and I haven’t felt this well for many years. I might just stay in this zone for a few more weeks and slowly add back veggies and/or some dairy back to see what may be triggering the negative response. I just wanted to share in case someone was desperate for some help.

I know this can be a controversial topic…we all have our different needs.

(cheryl) #51

we DO all have our different needs ( chocolate is mine apparently ) … so glad to hear the elimination strategy is helping you … good luck and keep us posted

(Adrian ) #53

This plays into the ‘food as comfort’ narrative. Those carbs probably felt good, because they gave you temporary comfort.

(Bruno Cuddle) #54

hello!! you are CORRECT!! its just absence of comfort food. i started feeling depressed while fasting,…
expressive therapy for depression

your cure is simple…don’t fast.

fasting if not where you should be is just a ‘forced dieting issue’ u put on yourself and actually has an easy out…don’t do it.

but if you have ‘way of life eating issues’ it is best to ask for great advice from the keto experts here who walked this path.

welcome to the site and know that if you are fasting when your body doesn’t want it…it can work easily against you so there are tons of ways to be Keto Plan and drop that ‘dieting mania’ most of us entered with :slight_smile: