Keto Before Beginning a Fast?

keto
fasting

(Akilah Aije Carvajal) #1

I understand that there is the ketogenic adaption that occurs for roughly a week when beginning a ketogenic diet with all of its resulting negative symptoms, I have experienced them; and if under the assumption that when fasting, the negative symptoms experienced are merely the same result of ketogenic adaption, is fasting thus much easier when beginning from an already ketogenic diet? Are all the symptoms of the first couple of days into the fast relieved? If this is true, fasting could very possibly be something of a matter of ease. Personal authentic accounts?

Generally once you’re fat-adapted, you can fast relatively easily (though it depends on many things, including how much body fat you have).

(TJ Borden) #3

The first week (sometimes longer) is just carb withdrawal. It generally takes around 6 weeks to become fat adapted. Once you reach that point, fasting is easy, and intermittent fasting is almost “natural” because you generally aren’t as hungry.

Trying to fast before you’re fat adapted can be really difficult because the hunger is too strong.

(Rob) #4

Not only is it easier (as long as you have excess body fat) but it is almost essential to avoid starvation response to fasting. Fasting from a carb-burning start will eventually have all kinds of benefits that you’d get from a keto start but you’ll be much hungrier and invoke starvation response reactions - lowered BMR, cold extremities, etc. You could get these anyway but it is far less likely with a start from a fat adapted state. That said, it can take several weeks to fat adapt - it is NOT the same as being in ketosis (which can happen quicker) so you may not be if you are just a week in to keto.

(Akilah Aije Carvajal) #5

What is the difference between being fat-adapted and ketosis?

(Rob) #6

Being in ketosis is that you are producing and using ketones as fuel (made from the breakdown of fat) for more or less of your bodily processes. This is more of a biochemical reaction based on the lack of carbs and is very easily reversed (eat more carbs).
Being fat adapted generally takes longer and it is the adaptation of the body to expect fat as its fuel and not carbs and will seamlessly adapt from using dietary to body fat. You can be in ketosis or not depending on carb levels but still not be fat adapted. If you are not fat adapted and you start eating less, you will get hungry and have all the issues of calorie restriction… if you are, your body will not worry about fewer calories and burn body fat. This is more of a metabolic adaptation based on reduction in carbs and doesn’t disappear with a carb slip up here and there.
At least, this is how I understand it.

(Akilah Aije Carvajal) #7

Ah, I am hooked! Currently on a 13 day fast.

(Rob) #8

Good luck! Fasting is so good for so many reasons. Keep it up!

Are you taking any supplements during your fast? How long have you been keto adapted prior?

(Akilah Aije Carvajal) #10

I don’t intend on taking any supplements, should I? will it provide aid? However, I have considered the option; but, most supplements contain carbohydrate (the hard pill) and soy bean oil (Soft gels). Thus, I had concluded these would end the fast; however, I am willing to take them if they will make the fast easier, as of now, I am not keto-adapted and the fasting experience is quite horrible, coming from a paleo diet with roots. I had been keto-adapted last year (unknowingly) as I had been eating 85% fat and zero carbohydrate for more than 6 weeks, it was an enjoyable experience. I had reached my lowest body-fat percentage I had ever experienced (6%) and felt great.

However, those times have long since passed and came holidays 2018 I rose to 12%. I am attempting to fast my way back to 6% in which I will resume a ketogenic diet.

13 Day Fast, Beginning at 12% Body Fat
(Vincent Hall) #11

12% body fat aiming for 6? That’s pretty low, why so low as a matter of interest? \v/