Less than 1000 calories per day on Keto and 16/8 Intermittent Fasting

science

(Alex Segrest) #1

Revised my title (as was suggested)… Just Finished 3rd week of Keto and Intermittent fasting. Zero cheating! High therapeutic level of ketosis (using blood monitor). Feel great other than heart palpitations. My caloric intake is 600 - 1000 calories per day. I know this is not a ‘quick weight loss plan’ but I am at 7 pounds lost so far… any ideas? Anyone else experience this? EXTRA info: I am also insulin resistant (PCOS) and pre-diabetic. I am on a 16/8 IF schedule 7 days per week… which has not been difficult at all - most days I am not hungry when it is time to stop my fast and it ends up being 17-19 hours fasting. My plan now (after the suggestions) is to eat more - just smaller and more often.

(Vic) #2

Your going to wreck your metabolism that low on calories, Also if you dont get enough protein your eat your muscle away

better off fasting few days 0 cals then re feeding

or eating more calories in an eating window

(Alex Segrest) #3

1200 calories is my goal per day but struggling to fit all those in my feeding window

Most of the early weight loss is water, because as you go into ketosis, your glycogen stores dwindle and the water bound to the glycogen is released. Don’t expect that rate of weight loss to continue.

(Troy) #5

Welcome!

1000 calories per day😳

I’m just not sure that is enough food?
You did mention 3 weeks and fasting

Again…
Welcome

Good Luck😄

Check out this study on the Effects of a Personalized VLCKD on Body Composition and Resting Energy Expenditure in the Reversal of Diabetes to Prevent Complications
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6683248/
They found (see section 4 of the study) " our results show a reduction in REE (<300 Kcal/day) only between baseline and four weeks, with an 11% weight loss. Also, a decrease in VO2 and an even bigger decrease in VCO2 with the restoration of the metabolic flexibility was observed. After four weeks and a weight loss >15% the REE and the gas volumes were not reduced further. Thanks to the BC assessment, we can state that the additional weight loss between four weeks and eight weeks was only due to the reduction in FM. Therefore, saving the LM also maintained the REE in the VLCKD."

Also check out this one on Alternate day fasting combined with a low‐carbohydrate diet for weight loss, weight maintenance, and metabolic disease risk reduction www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6934424/

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

@Alex_Segrest You’re setting yourself up for failure and metabolic disaster. You need to eat lots more or you will drive your metabolism to starvation. In starvation mode you will consume your lean mass before fat mass. Heart palpitations are a signal that things aren’t right. Heed it! If you change your topic title to include ‘1000 or less calories per day enough?’ or something similar you will attract the attention of others who made the same mistakes, some multiple times.

No weight lose at all on Keto..please help!

Use a bigger feeding window then. 1200 kcal is very low too, maybe it’s enough for you, it’s possible, I just say it’s already low and too low for most of us. Eating enough and not messing with your metabolism is way more important than doing IF for some reason.

But you can try different food if you want IF.
Most of us have more or less satiating food items. Or maybe your timing could be better for eating more? Different sized meals? If I change these things, I can drastically change my calorie intake.

Eating enough nutrients is way harder when you barely eat too… 600 kcal is barely enough for adequate protein and fat for people who needs little of them. And there are the micronutrients…

SNickers and Krispy Kreme?

(Tracy) #11

There should be zero suffering with Keto. Stop trying to count calories. Stop looking at your watch while you try to eat all of your food for the day. There’s nothing wrong with fasting, but there will be days when you won’t feel hungry and fasting will be a breeze, and there will be days when you can’t fast. Listen to your body. It has taken me a year to be in tune with my body, not beat myself up if I don’t fast for 18 hours, and on the days when I’m hungry for 12 straight hours, I assume it’s because I need to eat more. You will learn the difference between wanting to eat and needing to eat. Just don’t give up. Keto is miraculous.

(Alex Segrest) #12

Thank you! I appreciate your advice.

(Ken) #13

You should aim for more like a 500 calorie deficit per day. Or, just eat when you are hungry.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

The way I think of it is this: The human body has had two million years to adapt to all sorts of conditions. Why would I try to out-think those processes?