Keto and 100hr race

I’m new to the forum, i don’t know where/who to talk to. I’m doing the Texas Water Safari this June. It’s a 260 mile canoe race with a 100hr time limit. Our goal is about 75hrs. That being said, I appreciate any advice on fueling during an event like this or what I should know about keto and ridiculously long events. Im thinking about getting back into ketosis the months leading up to the race but not if I wont be able to sustain it during the race. Thank you in advance for any help!

(Stephen Judd) #2

You may want to search for Zach Bitter and listen to his experiences going keto and setting the world record for 100 mile run.

Getting fully keto-adapted by June may not be possible, but would vary depending on the individual. Some carbohydrate fueling during the race is probably necessary, but is something you’d need to figure out for your own biology during training.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

I’ve heard him on a couple podcasts… Couldn’t find much talking about longer time races. His 100mile races are like 12hrs lol we’re not nearly as fast. Slow, steady pace with little to no breaks. Stop about 15min every few hrs. No sleeping, which is another concern. How will my brain function on ketosis while sleep deprived?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Apparently ‘keto insomnia’ is a thing, and one of the reasons for it appears to be increased energy and alertness while in ketosis. I think your brain functions better on ketones than glucose. It’s all about energy.

Glucose Response to a 12-Hour Overnight Fast
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

I’ll add a personal perspective on the link I provided above. I’m 74 years old, too soon to be 75 (June). I have a full-time job at Walmart that requires me to be on my feet for my shifts 6-7 hours (I get to sit for my 1-hour meal break). I am frequently exhausted physically especially on days when I don’t get at least 6-7 hours sleep. Yet I am always mentally alert despite physical exhaustion. I’ve been keto for 3+ years.

(Ben ) #7

I cut this from the article. high-fat diet could contribute to mitochondrial biogenesis and reduce mitochondrial autophagy. Why would we want to reduce mitochondrial autophagy?

(Scott) #8

On one of the podcast I remember a keto couple in their sixties that would compete in a Ironman competition start to finish without ingesting anything but water. Most people wouldn’t be able to finish a marathon alone without eating some sort of carbs.