Jerky Jubilee ZC July!

@Karen18: Doing a workout is badass enough to me :smiley: I know from experience itā€™s not trivial to go and do it all, regularlyā€¦ Or just I am a lazy low-energy one who forgets about it during cookingā€¦ But I am at a nice point now, I raise my little weights again (after I lowered them as I was weak as a kitten for a whileā€¦)!

The smoked mackerel was very, very good. Salty but not so horribly, itā€™s a treat not to be eaten all aloneā€¦

We had a cool day, awesomeā€¦ But the heat is back again and we still lack rain, we need to water the leanders twice a day and even the hazelnut (the normal one, not the red one) needs water now, I donā€™t think it ever happened before.
Most of the plants are fine as always.
Summer lilac bloom started, I will have butterflies now, I can see them whenever I look out of the kitchen window! I am waiting for the hummingbird hawk-moths :slight_smile: Much more challenging than photographing lazy, slow butterflies :smiley:
I finally could show Alvaro the baby swans. And I could make some shots of the heron too, nice. Itā€™s more shy than the other birds but newer too, maybe it will get used to peopleā€¦

Great observations. Over time and with adaptation dietary thoughts (missing things) will change. They constantly change, even after a paradigm shift into a new way-of-eating (WOE). My gut, your gut, all our guts, feeling is that it can be a natural progress with no willpower required. Remembering the sensation of ā€˜freshnessā€™ is nice. For me that shifted to sashimi from vegetables.

The alarm bells go off when one has an internal dialogue with the words, ā€œI couldnā€™t live withoutā€¦ā€ That is indication of food addiction symptoms. I have that problem, which I will deny is a problem (another symptom of addiction), with coffee. @PaulL writes eloquently on the psychology of nutrition and addiction.

From my point of view, a low oxalate, low phytate, no lectin, low calorie, sensation leaf like won bok is a give or take. Mindfully eating a leaf and asking oneself, Do I really need this? Will probably clear up any questions.

I couldnā€™t live without eggs and have nothing against normal addictions like that :slight_smile:
I donā€™t know any other food I can say that about (it was vegs in the past but it turned out they arenā€™t nearly as important to me). I clearly can live without meat, I proved that - but it would complicate my life if I didnā€™t eat it. So I keep that too. Everything else isnā€™t necessary though I cling to certain items like sour cream. But I am aware I could live without it. I do pretty well without cream (not like I totally stopped but the vast majority of my days contains none).
And while no way I am willing to give up any of my beloved fruits, I know I donā€™t need them and that they are too sugary to me.
But liking and allowing things because I can is different from thinking I canā€™t live without or that living without it is total misery. Itā€™s pretty odd to me when people extremely cling to things not really needed and maybe even quite bad for them. I even understand compulsion as I have experience with it but many people donā€™t even TRY. They just announce itā€™s impossible to give up any of those things most people never even met during history and still survived.
Whenever I got determined or curious, I could give up many things, at least for a while. I am pretty sure I could do it longer but thatā€™s more problematic for me mentally when I just donā€™t see the point or donā€™t think itā€™s worth it. I canā€™t keep myself from things if I donā€™t see a reason for it, itā€™s even against my principles so I may not even try when it wouldnā€™t even be that hard but without benefits I appreciate and believe in.

Not eating it helps me much more to decide that. If I start to lose my sanity or feel super uncomfortable, I consider it a need. Just fancying it but being okay without is obviously not a real need.
But sometimes itā€™s joy and zero problem so itā€™s probably worth itā€¦ But things may get out of hand, it depends on the person and circumstances. Anyway, if we have a goal, donā€™t just break the rules without a Real Need. We just need to decide if the situation is serious enough to say that or not.

Btw coffee, tomorrow I try to quit again. I planned it for today but well, I didnā€™t last so long. But I didnā€™t start with coffee first thing and I keep it low. I definitely get no joy or any benefit from itā€¦ So hopefully it wonā€™t be extremely hard to stop.

(Karen) #24

Lovely photgraph of the crane/heron and the smoked mackeral, I love it @Shinita. I think I have seen on fb gardening UK posts some one filmed a hawk-moth, I didnā€™t know we got them here. I am in bed so early at night, apart from last night cos I was outside planting till late, that I donā€™t see the night properly draw in so its too light for the moths. We havenā€™t had much rain recently, you can tell its trying to rain and we get a bit of drizzle but not really enough to water the plants. Mine are a thirsty lot hahaha and my birds squirrels and rattles are a hungry lot! I am forever filling up the feeders at the moment but I wouldnā€™t have it any other wayā€¦ I just love the visitors to my little garden xx

I made this photo last summer:

I still have problems with waiting until hunger or 4pmā€¦ But I was almost hungry before 3!
I ended up eating 8 eggs, some fried pork and very much dairyā€¦ Not every meal need to be perfect. It was a very low-meat one.
The fly on top of my pork (I saw way too many big black flies in our food lately) might have interfered (I wanted to eat the pork at that point but I had sponge cake with sour cream instead and heated my poor meatā€¦ and then I ate some but the grand total is pitiful) but I was into eggs now. Yum.
Itā€™s so interesting when my perception changes and I keep the whole experience of an old carby (with lots of protein and fat, of course as I always liked that type of food) favorite. Well, keeping isnā€™t accurate as I had years without it. But now scrambled eggs tastes just like dumplings with eggs did in the past. They never were very similar but I changed too and coincidentally things got just right. I managed to eat 5 eggs in the same form (scrambled eggs) and then I got too satiated to eat the 6th.

Not a proper meal, sadly. 1400 kcal, 100g proteinā€¦ Too small for OMAD, a bit too big for TMADā€¦ But we will see.

Next time I try to focus on meat over sour cream let alone milk. I have an irresistible milk phase but I will run out of it soon and will have more proper days. I enjoy the hell out of it until then. Way better in a hot summer day than beer. And sadly better than carbonated water too, of course itā€™s different as itā€™s kind of food.

(Karen) #26

@Shinita another lovely photo you captured that moth beautifully :heart:

Strange night, wakeful again, got up about 20 to 8, did my 100 stair runs, ran to the CrossFit Box pulling my shopping trolley lol. Did the workout and ran to the shops then filled my trolley with too much bird food, fat balls, which made the trolley very heavy so walked home from the shops, that was a workout in itself with such a heavy trolley to pull!
SautĆØd the remaining chicken breast and wng from the roast in the bag chicken and it was again really tasty. Forgot to pop into the butcher to ask about chicken skinsā€¦ another day ā€¦ Sat outside in the garden for brunch, I was ready for a bit of a sit down. Then decided I ought to go out and buy a pressie for Raymond as it is his Bā€™day tomorrow. Decided I would buy a nice container and pot him up something nice for his porch as he tells me he has cleared it and it looks nice now. So I bought a nice container and some begonias and have spent the rest of the evening planting up some pots. His looks nice and will look lovely when the begonias start growing bigger like some of mine that I did a little while ago.
Dinner was cold pork with a knob of special butter. I popped into M&S and got another of the first one I ate it is so nice. You wouldnā€™t think butters could taste so different.

I only remembered to take photo of dinner after I had eaten 85% of it lol
Been watching the bees making themselves comfy in my bee Hotel and I think one has a ā€˜do not disturbā€™ sign up lolšŸ˜†

(Megan) #27

Hi Shinita, the bacon they make was such a good price but very very high carb dangit. I walked out with $150 of meat and bagged it up at home - 25 dayā€™s worth. The pork shoulder chops are large and deliciously fatty and one of my favourite things to eat. I also bought a couple of large trays of rump steak, some fresh chicken drums, some ground beef and a few lamb chops. I need to hunt down some recipes for keto ground beef b/c my usual ways of eating it arenā€™t keto.

Hey Frankobear, I mindfully ate some won bok (my fav part is the stalk) and celery last night, with mayo, 2 rashers of streaky bacon and 75 grams of cream cheese, and it was delicious. So juicy and crunchy! However was it filling? Definitely not. But after eating nearly an entire pork roast the day before and delaying my weekly weigh in as a result, I felt I needed to do penance and only have a small amount of protein yesterday. Iā€™d like to add a rofl to my act of penance but itā€™s not funny to me - yet.

I love meat and could easily eat 3+ pounds of it a day at the moment but Iā€™m freaking out about protein to fat ratios because I have 50-60 pounds to lose. Also thereā€™s no way I could afford it.

(Judy Thompson) #28

Welcome @MeganNZ! I was keto for the most part of the last decade and when I started Carni in Jan 22 I felt the same. I think your best 2-pronged strategy involves both palate and intellect.
First, at this stage donā€™t try to eat a BBBE (beef butter broth eggs) or any extremely restrictive plan, instead look for variety just as you are accustomed to with veggies. Steak, deviled eggs, shrimp, a slice of cheese. Chicken and salmon. Bacon and egg omelet with melted cheese. Pork rinds and sour cream. Give yourself a pretty plate, there are tons and tons of different foods that qualify!
Secondly, read extensively about this woe. Learn the toxins and phytochemicals found in foods. Listen to Anthony Chaffee and Shawn Baker and Ken D Berry and the other carnivore pundits youā€™ll come across along the way. As @Fangs says, make those negatives your positives and youā€™ll want to get as far away from those poisons as possible.
Also, when the food stops tasting good, stop eating. On this woe our body tells us in so many words, when itā€™s had enough because suddenly it just tastes like sawdust!
Iā€™m just a beginner with less than 7 months in, having lost about 40 lbs so far; but thatā€™s my 2 bits for adaptation.

We arrived in TX lastnight (July 4th) after the 3 day drive from the Washington DC area. Itā€™s a wonderful treat to be at the ranch again! I stopped at the store coming in and loaded up on hamburger, a brisket to smoke tomorrow night, 2 rotisserie chickens and some eggs, liver and beef cheeks. Iā€™ll look up cooking methods for the cheeks, probably will just sous vide (or smoke!) them and reserve some raw for the doggie :yum: I remember eating them in breakfast tacos, and they were so tender and good.
Only 2 nights to navigate on this trip, first night Iā€™d brought about Ā¾ lb of the farmers grassfed hamburger which I microwaved in the room with salt and a slice of sharp cheddar melted over it. Second day I wasnā€™t too hungry, had a few slices of cheese while driving and a few thermoses of water, and coffee with the heavy cream from my cooler. The 2nd night there wasnā€™t much left in the cooler for me so I ate most of a package of pepperoni and some cheese. Yesterday morning I got 2 naked hot dogs at a truck stop. Then lastnight, most of a rotisserie chickenā€¦all the dark meat.
We brought my Prius down this time so I drove on my own, and mostly the pup rode with hubby in the truck. We tried to stop together in order to tandem walk the puppy - at 8 Ā½ lbs I have never left her locked in a car and would rather carry her in and risk being yelled at!
Itā€™s hot but fresh and breezy here. Love being away from the VA humidity!

2MAD continues. Cattlemanā€™s steak last night baked in the cast iron stove on the wood fire. 1pm breakfast of bacon and eggs with 3 slices Jarlsberg cheese today. 2 morning coffees, but half way through the second one I stopped. Hmmm, interesting. Back in the WoE groove.

Sense of smell slowly returning. I can smell bacon. And I noticed our Lemonade (Lemon x Mandarin) tree is in winter bloom. The blossom smells like jasmine.

Beach walk with Billie the Labrador yesterday. Winter wind brought some stinging jellyfish on to shore.

(Judy Thompson) #30

Whoa, amazing jellyfish!!

you canā€™t do this to yourself. You canā€™t guess yourself with negatives on how this lifestyle will work for you IF YOU do it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

what you need to do is just do it! Only way to know truths. The guessing is useless.

Some days I ate 3 lbs plus of meat but many days I ate around 1.5 lbs and many days I settled in that 2 lb area and some days I ate only a lb. so each personā€™s appetite can flip around ALOT as we change and adapt into this lifestyle. But one only learns that IF they do the plan :wink: :sunny:

Plus in truth, one guess about carnivore and how it will work for them but most times the person is over surprised how well they feel and what benefits are stellar and how they change into a whole new person and again, only way to know this is by doing it!

wish you the best whichever way ya roll but jump in carnivore full all in plan cause the water is fine and you will learn alot about yourself and your body will love ya for it, lol.

@FrankoBear
smelling bacon again must be a real treat to you and that means you are healing thru this and doing well, happy to hear that!!

-----------SO yesterday I ate 8 slices of bacon early where I sprinkled a tad of cheddar to melt on itā€¦yummyā€¦I got hungry but didnā€™t want my steak so I just baconā€™d out and that controlled me very long til I cooked my ribeye steak and ate some peel/eat shrimp also with it.

Our Happy 4th of July feast and my steak was so tender. Later that evening after we blew off some fireworks in the yard and had a bit of fun the family jumped on a cake I made them and I wanted to join in the fun so I popped open 2 cans of sardines and I got EWWW and ICK and more from my kid and I made sure she got full view of my sardines over her cake HAHA I told her sardines as dessert is just a wonderful thing, she didnā€™t agree :crazy_face: For me, I never in my time upon this planet would I ever have put sardines as a dessert but it is set like that in my brain now :100:

I tracked my yesterdayā€¦ I ate a bit too much but no wonder with all that lactose (not like I donā€™t often do it when I consume way less. I am not the type who can do 1600kcal days all the time. but now I feel I have a chance if I do things right)ā€¦ I realized I have so much dairy with a near expiration dateā€¦ So I stop eating sour cream (that has a super long shelf life even after opening the package - and if it start to get not so great, the cats gladly eat it up but itā€™s almost never the case, we go through the 800-850g buckets quite quickly. as far as I know, my cats arenā€™t lactose intolerant. the old one surely isnā€™t, a neighbour tested it years ago), greek yogurt nicely substitutes it on top of my scrambled eggs.

I ate about 10 eggs, lots of dairy and only maybe 0.6 pounds of pork yesterday. I have eggy days now, thatā€™s the plan today as well. Then I better make some big roast, the weather isnā€™t even hot now, yay! I would so miss my roastsā€¦ Fried pork is nice but roasts are different.

I felt no proper hunger, any particular appetite or need for food yesterday. But I enjoyed my food nonetheless. itā€™s so amazing I have no problem with food boredom or negative appetite anymore! Eating is easy, my food is simple and goodā€¦ I just need to figure out how to avoid eating without a need. My first meal is quite big, I should go for OMAD now. Itā€™s so strange when my second one is tiny, thatā€™s not my normal style. But itā€™s nice to eat twice. So I would be torn if I wouldnā€™t feel so chill :slight_smile: Maybe I can pull off TMAD - if I can drastically lower my dairy intake. But that wonā€™t happen in the near future so I try both part and if I mess up one, I still can have the otherā€¦ Or not. I am good at messing up everything. Oh well, itā€™s fine as long as I have good days too and very, very few really bad ones.

But these are my personal things, I will just try a tad harder :slight_smile: I had worse times, I really have no reason to complain. I am already used to staying fat though not to the point that I wouldnā€™t feel being discontent. But I still donā€™t do hard things.

They always are super fattyā€¦ I need to avoid them, too fatty and not enough satiating to me. I realized that after the second day consuming 1000g of it (and a lot of other food, of course, no one can keep me from eating eggs and dairy)ā€¦ I still will eat it but carefully. But I can imagine it working wonderfully for others :slight_smile: I am so lucky I prefer chuck (and my newer fav, green ham, pork thigh is that I suppose?) anyway. Itā€™s so, so good when your tastes and what works best with your energy and protein need align. Well lean pork is too lean alone but as I have fattier items as well, it is just right for me.
You have some nice variety now, great!

Vegs arenā€™t about that. They are for JOY. At least I used them for that. Even the mayo and cream cheese arenā€™t particularly satiating items, at least for meā€¦

But it means nothing to me as itā€™s not an amount. There are tiny roasts, big roastsā€¦ If I had a proper oven (I donā€™t really need it), I would make 10kg ones or something :slight_smile: With my mini oven and the slab sizes in the little town supermarket, itā€™s 1.5-3.5kg.
And you ate it the day before! :smiley: Doesnā€™t your appetite and hunger replenish? My SO has tabula rasa every morning. I donā€™t but still, another day, another need for a decent amount of food! Even if I ate 1000g pork shoulders the day before.

It doesnā€™t work like that. If I need food, I need food. And I need my 120+ g protein with lots of fat every day.
I could do 0g protein WAY easier than 80g. And I canā€™t imagine going lower (without a sea of fat).

What does it have to do with anythingā€¦? Or, well I understand, you donā€™t want too low protein/fat ratio, 80-95% fat fits people with a HUGE energy need! I canā€™t even afford 70 if I want to lose fat . So lots of protein is nice. But maybe we differ too muchā€¦

This is still so surreal to me. Great food (like pork) ALWAYS tastes great. Even if I am too full. I may not be able to swallow it due to fullness but the taste is surely amazingā€¦ There is a reason I could massively overeat in my past, it wasnā€™t mere compulsion, I enjoyed my food.
So it must be something very individual.
When I had enough meat, my appetite towards it goes into negative. My tastebuds keep working. Itā€™s very much possible to eat a very tasty food without enjoying it. (It was very surreal to have it with my beloved fruits. And those things are nearly as delicious as good pork, my number one fav. Even eggs arenā€™t nearly as tasty alone. Very enjoyable sometimes, useful, hard to get bored of but not that super tasty.)

@Karen18: Thanks! I try to resist to put here another photo, maybe later :wink: I have some with rolled up tongue!
I have bee/wasp ā€œgaragesā€ (they are called like that here, maybe because garage rhymes with wasp in Hungarian, itā€™s basically ā€˜darageā€™) and they are even used, itā€™s great.
The huge insect that made its very own big hole in some wood never came back, we wonder if someone else will move in eventuallyā€¦

:smiley: It sounds so funny :smiley:
Well, each to their own, I see no problem with it. I donā€™t like sardines but I will buy smoked mackerel again, it was super goodā€¦ I always click with mackerel.

You reacted perfectly :rofl:

(Robin) #33

Wow! Functional art!
I would like to see this hotel betterā€¦. Do you have a photo of it from Further back?

I forgot to make a photo, my late lunch was so compact though, only one plate! Well, shallow bowl.
I had scrambled eggs in it (6 eggs),my leftover fried pork and 2 sausages.
And I couldnā€™t finish itā€¦ Sigh.
So I had another meal 3 hours later, that was even smaller.

I ate as much as I was able to and I feel a tad too satiated now. Low-cal, low-protein. In my world, at least. I just hope I donā€™t get hungry later, that wouldnā€™t be convenient.

I guesstimated/calculated 46g pork for today. My appetite was already low but towards. Itā€™s good I had the sausages (20% beef, wow, I rarely see such things :smiley: itā€™s always pork or chicken. the dry ones may contain beef or deer occasionally) but it was another very low-meat day. Oh well.

I just hope this super easy satiation stopsā€¦ Inconvenient.

My lactose intake dropped as it should have.
I still drank coffeeā€¦ Sigh.

(Karen) #35

I can see some of the holes in the other one have been stuffed with leaves too. Havenā€™t had much free time to watch them today as it was my friends birthday so I took him out x

(Bob M) #36

While Iā€™m not carnivore, I eat plenty of protein, lower fat, and my blood sugar is nowhere near that high. I know Amber Oā€™Hearn on Peak Human discussed this a bit.

But Iā€™d like to know why itā€™s more of a carnivore thing, as many days, I eat near carnivore yet donā€™t get that blood sugar. (Though lately, Iā€™m eating higher carb, such as tomatoes, onions.)

(Karen) #37

A slightly better nightā€™s sleep although still very wakeful as per. Got up just after 8, (forgot to set alarm, if I set it i am usually awake before it goes off. Ran my 100 flights of stairs, ran to the CrossFit Box, did the wod, ran home and had a small brunch of a bit of cheese and some cold water prawns, just to tide me over as I was taking Raymond out for his little 85th birthday treat.

Took him to Wollaston Hall and park which is literally round the corner from where he lives yet he had never been there! 8 have mentioned it so many times but hey ho! The cafes were just deliā€™s really with very limited menus. Raymond had soup and I ordered a sausage and back bacon. I should have remembered to take a pic because you would never believe how small the sausage was ā€¦ little more than a cocktail sausage! Not to worry the lady who served us was very kind and put it on the menu as a 2 dog sausages and went through to the kitchen to explain that I donā€™t have anything else and she only charges me a couple of quid for it. I said I was used to limited menus because of the way I eat so didnā€™t mind today paying as though it was the proper dish, so you can understand my surprise that it was less than half price! What a lovely lady :grinning:
We took a walk into the formal gardens but the rest of the park was far too hilly for him to manage.the sun emerged from behind the clouds and it turned into a beautiful warm sunny day.
Home again and after a walk to the local shops, got a sirloin into the pan and had it with prawns. I have a bit of a thing for them at the mo ā€¦ I am snacking on a few now before going to bed lol followed the steak with some cheese.
Completed a full week of the 75 day hard challenge!

I get some blood tests results tomorrow including my most recent HbA1c.

It will be interesting as it includes a month of COVID-19 infection and early phase recovery.

@ctviggen Bob, I do notice my fasting blood glucose is about 1mmol/l lower when I am eating a moderate protein ketogenic diet.

@Karen18 Iā€™m inspired by your physical activity in the mix. Today I took a walk from our small country post office to the beach with my nephew and Labrador. Itā€™s a round trip of about half an hour with some stair climbs. Before August 2021, I wouldnā€™t even have thought of it as exercise. Today I was puffing and tired by the end. My fitness has slipped backward so much from injury, and recently the COVID infection. Each day Iā€™ll try to go a bit further. The surf was perfect on a sunny mid-winter day.

@Karen18
Happy 85th to Raymond!!
Beauty pics of that park and seems like such a nice day for friends to spend together!

@FrankoBear
huffing and aā€™puffinā€™ā€¦that was one of the big reasons I hit zc. I got to where I would huff/puff on my way down to the barns for the livestock and thought, omg I am too damn young to be huffing/puffing :slight_smile: but of course you are recovering so do not push yourself too hard just yet!!
But it sounds like a great walk and 2 fab friends of yours :sunny:

-----------------ate leftover brisket. yum but that darn rub got me a bit. had to hit a tums. I am finding seasonings alot harder to handle. oh well, I knew but hell if a tums works, I can still enjoy some of the best yummy brisket from my local smokehouse!

can of tuna/mayo
salami slices
2 small cheeseburger patties

I best defrost me a steak. the brisket was good but I didnā€™t have much left but I am not prepping anything for defrost kinda, so best get my head back in the zc food game a bit. Ribeye as a meal today, after that, who knows what I might jump onā€¦shrimp or chicken? whatever!

(Judy Thompson) #40

Karen18 ā€œ. I said I was used to limited menus because of the way I eat so didnā€™t mind today paying as though it was the proper dish, so you can understand my surprise that it was less than half price! What a lovely ladyā€ This is truly a delightful experience! Loved reading about your lunch with Raymond and the beautiful walk in that gorgeous park! Wonderful pics.

@FrankoBear So glad youā€™re on the mend! Great to be able to just walk down to the beach with Billie and a friend, how pleasant.

@Fangs Haha love ā€œsardines for dessertā€ - you go to the trouble to make them a cake, then they go EWWW when you eat yours, lol! And Tums for the brisket rub. Spices bother me too.

In fact I have a brisket and want to smoke it tonight. Seems to take about 18 hrs so putting it on at night to avoid getting out of bed to get it out like last time! I donā€™t want to use apple juice like all the gurus recommend - what do yā€™all use? In tempted to just use salt on it and seeā€¦ I donā€™t even have beef broth at the moment, having just gotten here.
More later, time to get up and walk the puppy before it gets too hot!