It's all about the insulin, isn't it?

(Vic) #21

1848 calories/day is what he said

You think that is too much for HT WT?

That is low to me, I do that sometimes sometimes as low as 1600 but mainly I am between 1800 and 2200 most day no or low activity and losing weight

Im 5.7 and 280 now

No way to know, don’t know what his RMR is. Height/Weight is only a blind guess that works more than it doesn’t… but it does fail, like in my case. I’m 5’9" ~14%BF and clocking in at 210lbs. Because 180lbs of me is muscle my RMR is (calculated) usually to be close to 2700-3000 by many calcs. My actual measurement RMR (about 6mo ago) was 1700! That’s at 39yo. Without question my metabolism is F’d both from being obese for years, then a little over a year of being into fasting but point is the calcs don’t / can’t actually measure.

Make sure it’s only fat you’re losing! I lost a ton of muscle mass thinking it was fat.

well that should be sufficiently confusing by now?
I use cronometer.com to track my macros. I keep my carbs below 20g/day and my fats higher than my proteins. Protein can be metabolised into carbs. And I do think it is all about insulin.

(Vic) #24

I have done a bit of fasting on and off since I started

However I really backed off the last couple months I see a lot of people who fast a lot tend to either stall or end up having to fast just to maintain

Now I do 16/ 8 during the week and make sure I have at least one day over cals just to keep the metabolism up

I dont know if that is the right way to go about it but I dont want to screw up and have to fast just to maintain

Yes, it CAN be, but protein is our body’s desperation fuel. Simply eating enough/higher protein doesn’t equal carbs. GNG is demand driven, not supply driven.

(FRANK) #26

@lfod14: What RMR calculator do you use? Is that the same as BMR? if so, my BMR is 2,151 calories.

I had my RMR measured. Had to sit for 20min with a mask on my face hooked up to a machine. No calc got even close to my real number. However, the best guessing one I’ve found so far it the Macro Calc on the Ketogains site. It doesn’t use the standard Mifflin St Jeor method. Requires measurements but seems to be (more) accurate than most. RMR is what you burn throughout the day, your TDEE is what you burn with all the extra in there. Your BMR is what you burn to not die if you laid in a bed all day and never moved.

After seeing how far off I was I’d recommend testing for anybody that can’t hone in on their metabolism. Didn’t take long and wasn’t expensive.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

The Minnesota Starvation Study considered 1600 calories/day to be a starvation diet. Just saying.

While it can be, it usually is not, because the amino acids are generally needed for tissue-building. While a certain small amount of some amino acids might be deaminated and turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis), this does not occur on a high-glucose (i.e., high-carbohydrate) diet, only on a ketogenic (low-carbohydrate) diet. In normal times, the body avoids metabolising amino acids, because the process is significantly less efficient than either glucose metabolism or fatty-acid metabolism. At a certain point in the process of starvation, however, the lack of available glucose or fatty-acids does lead the body to break down lean tissue (autophagy) and then to metabolise the amino acids thus made available. But amino-acid metabolism is generally avoided, if at all possible.

(Vic) #29

I dont go that low often when I do its natural not by effort

I only count calories for observation and if I find I am low too many days ill make sure I up it

Most days during the week I am between 1800 and 2200, occasionally 1600 or 2800 but not often

On weekends I have at least one if not 2 days over 2500

(Victor Larsen) #30

It’s great you are following your macros but let me ask you… exactly what carbs are you consuming? (Not how much).

I was a reasonably well controlled T1 with an a1c that was always in the 6. Range but over the years it was rising as was my use of Lantus. I started keto 2 years ago in 3 months my a1c fell from 6.8 to 5.2 currently it runs between 4.8 and 5.2. My lantus fell from 30 daily units to a current 14 units!

But here’s the thing I have eliminated major starch’s from my diet and I’m pretty anal about it no cheating meaning no flour no potato no rice no pasta or breads… eliminate those things from your diet for 3-6 months see what happens!