Irritable

(Bella) #1

HI,

I started keto a week ago. I feel soooooo irritable, angry…etc
What can I do to feel better ?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

Welcome to the forums! That sounds like an electrolyte imbalance, which often happens when starting keto. Drink enough water and make sure you are getting enough salt. 2-3 teaspoons of salt per day. Are you eating enough? Eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full is the best advice.

This is an informative read to make sure you are making the correct food choices - starting out can be overwhelming:

(Robert C) #3

Hi @Bella123 and welcome!

Per @Regina - try extra water and salt - that may be it.

But, it may just still be carb withdrawal. I am not sure there is a way to feel (physically) better in that situation but, mentally, you should take solace in knowing that getting through this can be a one-time thing - leading to feeling generally better all of the time.

(Bella) #4

Thank you so much for the support ! I will take more salt everyday

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

I think it’s fair to say anytime we quit something that we love (sugar) because it’s bad for us, there’s potential for some internal tantrum throwing. Is it possible you’re having withdrawal irritation?

If so, don’t let yourself be hungry, it’s okay to snack in the beginning (keeping carbs below 20) until you get over the hump. I found hot tea with heavy cream to be comforting, staying hydrated and minding electrolytes to keep headaches at bay and going to bed as early as I could while my body adjusted helped a lot!

(Cathy) #6

Hi Bella123. I’m going through exactly the same thing. I’m nearly 4 weeks in now and still find myself much more irritable than usual. I have to remember to keep going for salt but it really does seem to help and I’ve just bought myself some electrolytes too.

(Bella) #7

which electrolytes do you
use ?

(Cathy) #8

They’re made by NutriAlign and are zero carb.