In ketosis, but not losing fat inches. I’m extremely tired and lethargic... different from “keto flu”

(Vancekylie0525) #1

Hi there!
Newbie here to this forum but I’m definitely at a point where I’m needing a bit of keto advice from an outside look here!!
Here’s my background/ current scenario:
I adapted a “low-carb eating lifestyle” approximately three years ago so I’ve become familiar with the typical terms, guidelines, etc.
Recently, I wanted to lose a few fat inches/pounds as I can see my relaxed holiday diet has begin to show added pounds of fluff and summer is here!!
With that being said, I’m currently in a 20 day state of ketosis in which I am logging my food intake through my fitness pal. 5% carbs, 35%protein, 70% healthy fat intake intake. I’m maintaing my adequate calories, water intake is good. I’ve increased potassium, magnesium and B5 supplements. I’m getting enough electrolytes, adequate sleep, I’m not currently in “keto flu”…, However, I am not losing ANY fat inches and I am lethargic…, extreme fatigue!!! I’m taking naps during my lunch time to get to the afternoon. As soon as I’m home from work I must lay down for a four hour nap to get through the rest of the evening!! Any advice on what I am missing here??? There’s something simple here that I probably just need to “tweak” in order for ketosis to get my body into a fat burning machine… however, I am at a complete loss here… I’ve also have maintain a zero alcohol intake over the last 20 days to ensure that I’m not getting hidden carbs or calories through alcohol sugars.
Any advice is appreciated!!

(icky) #2

It could be salt and electrolytes?

Ketosis can be diuretic (to different degrees for different people) meaning you may well need to up your salt/ electrolyte intake when you are in ketosis

(Allie) #3

110% ?

How many actual grams?

(Bunny) #4

It will pass, your body is adjusting to becoming fat adapted?

This is the reason people give up and do not realize they have to tough it out? Things will return to normal including adrenal fatigue, vital signs and lab results around the six month mark (usually)…

Weight loss is only one of many benefits to this, health and metabolic fitness should be the goal? People fool themselves into thinking “…well I’ll just do ketogenic diet for a little while to shed some fat…” without realizing half of the weight lost is water weight…lol

…And another thing, your probably healthier than somebody who is thin even if your not losing any weight?

Should pay more attention to body composition (with a tape measure?) than the scale (futility vs. sanity)?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

The fatigue is because you are not fat adapted yet. This is different than being in ketosis.

After starving your body of carbs, you will begin to produce ketones relatively quickly (a matter of days), but your body has to be trained to know how to use the ketones efficiently for fuel. This can take 6-8 weeks on average.

So currently you aren’t giving your body is accustomed fuel source (carbs) but it doesn’t quite know what to do with all those ketones. Thus the lathargic feeling. I liken it to a gas tank with a hole in it. You’re fueling it, but it’s just leaking out right now and you’re not able to get as far.

The good news is fat adaptation isn’t an on/off switch. It’s a gradual progression, so even though it can take a while to become fully adapted (it took me 9 weeks), your energy levels will begin to progress upwards before that point. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

What you absolutly do not want to do is add carbs to offset the energy lulls. This will extend the amount of time it takes you to become adapted.

I found ZipFizz helped me control my electrolytes AND gave me a nice boost of energy until the fat adaptation kicked in.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

You might also not be getting enough of either protein, or fat, or both. Without knowing the portion sizes or the calorie count, we have no way of telling. Beware of restricting calories—it leads to a lower metabolic rate and a feeling of lethargy.

GREAT post Anniegirl. I’m struggling in the early stages too. And your summary is just what I needed.

Thanks Rainey77 for asking such a great question. I wish you well in your fat adaptation journey :grinning:

@Rainey77 This is exactly what happened to me, the fatigue and lethargy just went away without warning. I believe I am now fat adapted as I’m seeing changes in my body without effort. Hang in there.