In and out of ketosis on blood prick on week 5-please help

(Kelly) #1

Please help me understand why my body is responding the way it is OR can you please link me to a previous thread/page that is applicable?

I’m mid-way through week 5, and I feel amazing. I’m concerned about ketones, NOT weight. I weigh between 127-132 pounds. I use a blood ketone monitor.

The first week or two, I got up to the 2.0’s. By the third week, I started dipping back to an average of 0.8. Ever since the third week, I’ve been ranging anywhere between 0.2-0.6

Side note paragraph: A couple of weeks ago, I saw a nutritionist from a major hospital who specializes in ketosis- she seemed very casual about the diet. She told me my carbs were too low, and that I could add 20 (in addition to the 19 i usually have) more in the form of vegetables. However, I don’t think that’s what’s been keeping my ketones low because I have only added maybe 5 or so in the form of non starchy vegetables. (But I thought ketones don’t care where your carbs are from- ketosis is ketosis, right?). Anyway-

What’s frustrating is that it’s harder than it seems to know what’s knocking you out of ketosis. Because it doesn’t change your numbers on a blood prick immediately- or does it? How long does it take to see an effect?

Sometimes I notice my ketones are higher later in the day than first thing in the morning, but in the first week of my diet, they were highest first thing in the morning. So I don’t think time of day is reliable in my case. My blood sugar is almost always normal, though.

I’m fluctuating in and out constantly-straddling the 0.5 mark. In the best case scenario I’m keto/fat adapted, so ketones aren’t registering on the monitor anymore-is that a thing? Might the blood prick be misleading? If you’re in ketosis 1/2 of the day everyday, and out of ketosis the other half, are you really getting the benefits?

(bulkbiker) #2

Nothing wrong with 0.5 that is still nutritional ketosis so don’t fret. I find my ketones only get very high on extended fasts and I usually run in the 0.3-1.0 range when eating. Still in ketosis.
Your extra carbs may be having a small effect so you could try cutting them out and seeing what happens if you are really worried about it.
I’ve been eating like this for the past 2 1/2 years so chill and enjoy all the yummy food!

(Kelly) #3

Thanks! But isn’t below 0.5 out of ketosis? I’m in ketosis half of the time but out of it the other half.

(bulkbiker) #4

Personally I doubt it… if you are registering anything then you are in… if you show zero then you’re not. At the end of the day its just numbers on an inaccurate meter not worth worrying about.

(Allie) #5

You’re still adapting so don’t stress yourself out about readings as your body hasn’t yet figured out how many ketones to make.

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #6

Hi Kelly
When you say veg are you eating veg from below ground if so try only eating veg form above ground. just an idea. KCKOB.

(Kelly) #7

Mainly no more than 1 cup of spinach per day. However, on occasion I’ve also had 3/4 cup of cauliflower, 3/4 of a green onion, 2-3 strips of green pepper, 1/4 cup of mushrooms, or a cherry tomato from my garden (not all at once). BUT my ketones had already begun registering low before I started re-introducing those things.

One thing that I’ve been terrible about- eating way too many pork rinds (the kind with just salt) and way too much zevia pop (has stevia in it). My gut has been telling me that those could somehow be the culprit.

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #8

Hi Kelly you are doing fantastically well, keep up the good work and you will never look back.
So here comes the bad news sorry princess! Stevia has been linked to increased insulin production and there is growing evidence that all sweeteners trigger a response. So I would say your body is talking to you and your beginning to understand what it’s telling you. As for the pork rinds not a problem you need the salt and who don’t love crispy porky bits, fill your boots sweetheart.
I squeeze a slice of fresh lemon only not bottled, a level tsp of Celtic sea salt and water into a 750ml sports water bottle for the hole day, if you start with a little salt and work it up to a tsp (5g). it also helps with feeling hungry just after eating it’s not food your body is asking for it’s salt! Bag of pork crispy bits anyone?

Getting the right amount of sleep is very important, just to give you an idea about sleep I am T2 and for the last 2 mouths I have been at around 5mmol/L, last night I didn’t get to bed before 2am and was up at 7am 5 hours sounds okay but I hit 7.5mmol/L with my morning reading, I know this is not a problem it was lack of sleep that gave me this reading so I just KCKOM.
Your in the right place for info and support, I highly recommend the 2 keto dudes podcast.
And yes the correct response to the recipes section is yum yum I will make that now.

https://eating4optimalhealth.com/2014/01/31/the-best-low-carb-cheesecake/

And if none of that works then have a spoonful of keto octane from Brenda Zorn.

This is the Keto Bible read it and when your doctor tells you that this diet will kill you tell them to read it and then give it back to you. My doc tried to keep it, taking liberty’s mate.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/B006YB631O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1536257244&sr=8-8&keywords=the+art+and+science+of+low-carbohydrate+living

Everything you want or need to know is here on this site. just ask,

Keep Calm and Keto On Baby

Drew