I'm not loosing

(veronica) #1

First 2 weeks I lost 10 lbs. Now I’m entering my 3rd month and I only lost 2 lbs. I lose a pound then gain a pound. But I have maintained myself at 208. The only thing I haven’t started to do is exercise. I want to start fasting but what do you eat before you start to fast? I’m afraid that I’ll starve.

First, I would check out this excellent thread on keto weight loss.

Starting a good exercise routine- especially once you’re fat adapted - can kick you out of a stall and it can make you look and feel much better at a given weight but it’s not usually the central feature of a weight-loss plan. Also a good exercise plan means different things for different people, but resistance work and some form of sprinting/HIIT seem to give the most dramatic results in terms of insulin sensitivity and body recomposition.

Fasting can also help with stalls, but it’s really nice if folks move into it naturally. Usually when you’ve been keto for a while (a few months), you’ll find that you’re naturally skipping meals and not really noticing it. Then you can start to extend to a full day fast (lunch to lunch or dinner to dinner). If that goes well, you can try another rhythm that works for you. Many folks love ADF (alternate day fasting, which is something like: fast on Monday, eat dinner and lunch on Tuesday, fast on Weds, etc). There are a lot of fasting threads on here if you want to read more.

Could you give your stats? Age, health basics (are you diabetic?), weight, what you’re eating? You’ll probably get more specific guidance.

(Maggie C.) #3

Hi Veronica,
Good job on your first 3 months! The first couple of months are the most dramatic, and you’re past them now. Just keep doing what you’re doing and your body will change. I"m 57 yo and 5’5" I started keto weighing north of 185 lbs on Nov. 2017 and lost 10 lbs in the first 2 months like you. I’m now down to 161, so thats 15 lbs in 8 months. That’s only about 1 or 2 lbs per month. I think this is normal. Just keep on the diet or go right back to it if you cheat.
I drink alcohol a couple of times a week, which slows my weight loss. Some months I didn’t lose ANY weight. If I want to make sure to lose a pound I stop drinking for a whole week. Maybe I’ll quit coffee for a week, because I feel that excites my body too much and temporarily quitting does seem to help me normalize. And sometimes I wait until noon to eat (Intermittent fasting). I’m happy with that amount of change to move the scale. I love the keto diet and probably will stick with it for life, so it’s a long journey.

The takeaway is you have to find what makes you happy doing every day. Progress will be slow. You’re in it for the long haul. As long as your monthly weigh-in doesn’t show you gaining, you’re golden. :sparkling_heart:

(Jane) #4

Please post a typical day of eating for you so we can see if there are any red flags.

You should be fat-adapted by now if you have stuck to keto pretty strict for 3 months. It’s important to become fat-adapted before you start breaking protocol by eating too many carbs.

What is your hunger like during the day? Are you still having to snack between meals?