Ignoring sweets

keto
newbies
food

(Natasha) #21

Tell myself that even if I did eat it, it wouldn’t actually scratch where I was itching… I wouldn’t be satisfied, all that would happen is I’d obsess over the rest of the cupcakes and want to carry on eating, eating, eating! Yup, definitely worse to eat it than abstain… don’t wake the beast!!

(Deborah ) #22

No real pearls of wisdom here, but what works for me is to just consider anything not on my “keto list” as a non-food. Everyone here at work seems to think that sugary/carby stuff is an appropriate treat or reward. I totally ignore them as non-food itema.

It will get easier for you as time passes. :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #23

I have to avoid milk.

(Daisy) #24

I agree with a couple of the gentlemen above. Treat sugar as it is: an addiction. Know that the first bite is the end of your sobriety. With this thought I am 2 years and one month “clean”!

(Marius the butter craving dude) #25

Find alternatives.
After 9 months I can say I do no longer crave many sweets and breads I used to, but I also can not remember the actual taste. My perception of sweet is altered. I find milk and dairy to be sweet and pastry and candy are just to sweet for me to eat. I think this is the normal perception of the sweet taste. Carbs and sugars make us sweet resistant; we need more and more sweet food to get that sweet sensation in the mouth.
Returning to finding alternatives… For me an indulgence is cheese with cream and some peanuts, or just raw milk, this is my desert now.

(Ciara Henderson) #26

Hey, Everyone. Thank you so much for yall kind comments and tips, so I ended up getting erythritol and decided to just put that in cupcakes and cookies. I will just make them miniature and pancakes.

I am surrounded by carby snacks and sugary treats ALL the time at work. For me, I remember it being a lot harder to say no, back when I was doing SADieting…. Once I became gluten free (a couple years ago) I had NO problem saying no to birthday cake at work, etc, it all because I knew my stomach felt so much better without it and I didn’t want to suffer all afternoon/evening. Then once I became keto, not only did I have my happy tummy to think about, I also know how much progress I’ve made on keto (not just with fat-loss, but with not having gotten sick AT ALL since 2017 and I don’t want to F that up!)… nothing, not even one M&M is worth that!!

“so I ended up getting erythritol”

@Ciara_Henderson - YA GIRL! :slight_smile: I was gonna also say, I’m not one that can completely give up sweetness. I put monk fruit sweetener in my coffee, and I eat homemade chocolate with erythritol. That’s just about it for me and sweetness.

I’ve only been doing this WOE since January 2, so I am by no means well-versed in the anything Keto, but I will tell you that after a while, my sugar cravings mostly went away. A few things I had on hand to save the day:

• Heavy whipping cream made into whipped cream with a keto-approved sweetener.

• Tazo sweet cinnamon tea. It has a sweetness to it and a nice spicy edge.

• Lindt 95% Cocoa Excellence Bar (I purchased it waiting for PMS to kick in a month ago - ha! - and have yet to open it!) It isn’t great, but it isn’t awful considering I would probably half the serving size and you can subtract dietary fiber: https://www.lindtusa.com/wcsstore/LindtCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/products/nutritional/nutritional-information-SKU-E004180.pdf

• Quest chocolate chip cookie dough bars. I also got this as a backup in case the cravings hit, but so far I have only had one bar. I had half one day when baking the kids actual cookies and then the other half a couple days later. Again, not the best for you, but in moderation it might do the trick.

• Brush teeth. This sounds wacky maybe, but I find I can sometimes curb cravings by brushing my teeth with peppermint toothpaste and enjoying a BIG glass of water. Shrug But maybe I am weird!

Good luck!

OH! I forgot I also made a couple mini fat bombs about four weeks in “just in case.” Oddly I feel like I can say no when I know there is a “safety net” better than when there is not. I think I ate maybe two? The rest are in the freezer still! It was a combo of coconut oil, natural peanut butter, and cinnamon. I didn’t want to start off relying on those things though, but somehow it is nice to know they are there.

(Kirk Wolak) #33

This is key, I am helping someone, and I told her:

Do not say “I can never have XYZ again”… It’s simply not true!
Tell yourself, in 6 months, I can have whatever I want. You get a SINGLE MEAL with DESSERT every 6 months. It cannot be stacked next to a holiday or other possible lenient day, and must be followed up with my “Oops” Protocol (Fasting to recover your weight and one more day).

The purpose is to give you a release valve. It’s funny, when you know YOU CAN have something in the future, the Decision process is easier. Add it to the list of things you want to have in the future, and forget about it.

Now, my 6 month came and went… I skipped that day, as I had ZERO real desire. Pretty soon, my 1 year mark will be here (July 1st). And I will probably skip that day as well. I wont EVER Cancel my 6 month release valve. It will always be there for me.

And that takes care of the psychological issue for me!