I made mayo, and it only took 5 tries

(Christopher Avery) #82

Well now you know why you bought the Breville: perfect mayo every time. :yum:
Congratulations.

(Candy Lind) #83

I proved I could mess just about anything up last night by attempting the stick-blender-in-a-mason-jar mayonaisse last night after I broke my fast. I thought that what I did wrong before was moving the blender around too much so I kept it right on the bottom until I was certain I should have achieved emulsification. No joy. I said to myself, “Self, you gotta fix this. You have successfully made mayo in the past and you are NOT going to let this oil go to waste!” I got ANOTHER egg and ANOTHER mason jar. I put the egg in and scooped out about 1/4 cup of the “slop,” cleaned up the blender, and started over. This time, I got emulsification! Then, I used my turkey baster to gradually add in more of the failed batch gradually. It got so dang thick my stick blender was overheating! I managed to get nearly all of it emulsified after a fairly long blending session with two 15-minute cool-down periods for the stick blender. I now have a really nice batch of mayo in the fridge, and I have plans for it. :grin: It didn’t take 5 minutes, but I saved two cups of oil, so I’m happy.

(Christopher Avery) #84

Congratulations @CandyLindTX!

(Sophie) #85

:rofl: :laughing: :+1: Sounds like my kinda hard headiness. :laughing:

(Andi McNamara) #86

I also made have a bucket of mayo from two tries at emulsifying (finally successful👍)!
Anyone know how long will it be safe to eat with the raw egg?

(Christopher Avery) #87

Congratulations @AndiMac. As long as you are refrigerating it, it should be fine for quite awhile. Think about how long eggs last in your refrigerator, even after cracking (I.e., saving whites or yolks).

I don’t claim to know food chemistry, but as a waiter I was taught to make Cesar dressing tableside in a fancy restaurant. It starts with egg yolk, olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar. I was told that the acids (lemon juice and vinegar) “cook” the yolk.

Maybe a kitchen scientist can weigh in?

(Andi McNamara) #88

Thanks! NSV!!!
I didn’t know you could save raw eggs once they are cracked open.

(GINA ) #89

Be sure you have a straight side mason jar. Not the one that is squarish on the bottom and bows out below the threads. Round bottom and straight sides.

All stick blenders are not created equal either. I have one that is probably 15-20 years old and makes mayo like a dream. It got misplaced (how you ask… teenagers) and I bought a new one. It would not work for mayo at all. Fortunately the old one turned up, the new one went back to the store, and all is well again.

(Christopher Avery) #90

Aha! It is good to have your experience that some stick blenders do and some don’t make mayo.

(Sophie) #91

Of course using a stick blender for mayo is like a miracle, but you don’t have to own one to make your own mayo. Watch this and fall in love… :heart_eyes: :blush: :smile: :kissing_heart:

My thoughts…

I have read in one of the Julia books that using a stainless steel bowl will alter the chemical balance when making some items like bread with yeast - her books recommend a glass, ceramic or copper bowl.

(Candy Lind) #93

I saw one recommendation that it should be fine until the expiry date on your eggs, but in my experience it’s been fine after that. It doesn’t usually last long enough to really test it!

(Jessica) #94

Mine only stays good about a week, but I’m also using non-pasteurized eggs (we have chickens) so I don’t know if that impacts it.

(Andi McNamara) #95

I checked with my chef sister and she mentioned non pasteurized eggs, too. Said only keep it s couple of days, and she’s usually pretty liberal with food expirations. I googled and saw pasteurize for eggs in a Sous vide to extend the date.

(Andi McNamara) #96

I saw that, too. But I think eggs are hermetically sealed. I wonder how safe they are when out of the shell? Guess I just need to shmear it in everything when I make it!

(Christopher Avery) #97

Now that’s a positive mental attitude!

(Jeff Logullo) #99

Wow! Been a while since I’ve visited this thread. And here’s my update… I am now more confident than ever about being successful with the stick-blender-mayo technique. What’s different? Two things:

1. Start with VERY BRIEF pulses of the blender
  2. Use two egg yolks

After assembling my ingredients, I give the blender button a super-quick tap with my thumb… then I wait a few seconds for things to settle. And then repeat. And again. And again. I do this pulse-and-wait until I begin to see that “something” cloud of mayo emulsion begin to form. After which, I increase the pulse length fo a full half second… then a second… then a few more, once I know I’m seeing the emulsion form.

I also use two egg yolks – and I tried this at the same time I used the above micro-pulse technique. It’s not good to test two variables in the same experiment (shame!), but I’m not going to go back and try one or the other, seeking failure. All I know is that I can now make mayo 100% of the time. So I’m sticking with it!

Here’s the blog site w/ video where I learned to go easy on the pulses at the beginning. And the recipe calling for two yolks:

Homemade Mayonnaise - The Recipe Video the Big Mayo Companies Don’t Want You to See!

When the recipe says “vegetable oil,” you know what to do :slight_smile:

(Christopher Avery) #100

Congratulations. On my way to trying this I got to thinking that your narrative reads a little like watching a superstitious batter run through his dogma at the plate:

Walk to the plate
look down
tuck bat under right arm (right arm only, always)
spit in hands
rub hands, right over left, twice. Always twice
grab bat in left hand
lift left knee a bit
tap left sole twice
repeat with right knee and sole,
etc.

(Jeff Logullo) #101

That’s not a bad comparison! Nothing worse than a “mayo hitting slump” — grin!

Edit: it worked!